Willy jeep with lathe.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The designation of that Jeep-with-lathe? I highly doubt there was one — some unit put a lathe into the back of a Jeep because they found they needed a lathe in places they couldn’t otherwise get it to easily, and that’s probably all there was to it.

Luckily the unit badges are clearly visible, so you can probably work out where and when this was. Not something I’m overly adept at, though, so I’m afraid I’m not much help other than to say they look British/Commonwealth. The lathe operator seems to be wearing battle dress trousers, so that points in the same direction. The cut-off sleeves makes me think somewhere warm, maybe South-East Asian theatre?

Now to ID the lathe make and model … I’m sure that can be found out too.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Now that's one I haven't seen!

I've just bought a couple of jeep kits and I'm searching for inspiration for some kind of kitbash/conversion so I'm trawling through all sorts but I've not come across that image.

Currently toying with a 6x6 ambulance idea.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Go for it Paul, just your type of build.
Front row seat booked.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This might help - https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/lathe-on-a-jeep.362982/

'Aitape, New Guinea. 8 February 1945. The versatile jeep, once more proves it is invaluable. New use is found for it, in this 'transportable' machine-shop. The jeep is driven to any given position, where it's engine drives a built-in generator, which in turn supplies current for, (all built-in) lathe, electric drill, grindstone and hone, battery charger, and a complete lighting plant. Here Craftsman Ron Green of Melbourne, Vic, is operating the lathe. Note the logo shows the crocodile under the palm tree over a boomerang.'

Source: The Australian War Memorial

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Note the logo shows the crocodile under the palm tree over a boomerang
So that’s what it represents! I thought it was a palm tree on an island …

Interesting also that the text calls it a “logo” when the correct term would be “badge” or “emblem”.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So Mr. Dawg, if you build this in 1-35th scale, it should allow you enough room to power this baby up with a small electric motor and battery pack under the hood of said Jeep....wouldn't that be lovely! ;)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for all the interest guys. I would love to make this but struggling to find any info. I have sent a couple of emails to various parties and am now awaiting replies.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I was just thinking about a small black elastic (rubber) band....and what a great drive belt it would make for your "working" model..... ;)

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks for all the interest guys. I would love to make this but struggling to find any info. I have sent a couple of emails to various parties and am now awaiting replies.
I'm sure if you put your best ex-Armourer's thinking cap on you would come up with as convincing a solution as Ron Green's of Melbourne, Paul. As I understand it this was a one-off, so you could just make your own design of one-off. Who's to know ;) ?
I bet MiniCraft or ICM do a lathe you can use as a starting point
Please!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm sure if you put your best ex-Armourer's thinking cap on you would come up with as convincing a solution as Ron Green's of Melbourne, Paul. As I understand it this was a one-off, so you could just make your own design of one-off. Who's to know ;) ?
I bet MiniCraft or ICM do a lathe you can use as a starting point
Please!
Neil,
That's probably not a bad idea I will have a good think and see what I can come up with.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
IMHO, it shouldn’t be that hard to knock up something resembling that lathe from plastic card, strip, rod and punched discs. Though if I was me, I would first of all try to find out exactly what model lathe it is in order to get real-world dimensions of it ;)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jakko,
Your right and to that end I sent an email to Southbend, a company in the states as I believe it may be one of their lathes. I may or may not get a reply. It wouldn't be so bad if I could see both ends of the lathe in the picture. and what else may be in the back.