WIP preference.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Everyone.

Been here for a few days now and everyone seems to be very friendly. :smiling3:

My question is.

Do people here prefer to see a WIP of people's builds or just a finished kit.

I'm not the best photographer and don't really like taking pics.but if people would prefer to see WIP.

I'm quite willing to take pics as I go along.

All the best.

Ralph.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I reckon that's entirely up to you.

It's always good to have the opinion of other modellers about a kit and also to see how they deal with any problems that may crop up but there is no need to do a step by step WIP, unless you want to.

I'm no photographer either but I've managed a few WIP type threads. I keep forgetting to take photographs so mine tend to lurch from sprue shots to completed sub assemblies, or even half completed models, with not much in between :smiling3:

I do try to highlight any issues and offer at least my solutions, which may (or may not) help others attempting the same model.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Steves summed it up perfectly for me , its a matter of personal choice of course but I usually try and do a build log /wip . It can help anyone thinking of the same kit as any issues or problems can be highlighted or as steve says the way of getting round the problem can be helpful to readers too. The only drawback to this is that I tend to spend more time taking photos and uploading /typing on the computer that it can really slow the build. cheers tony

D

dubster72

Yep all of the above! Personally, I like seeing WIP threads as it's good to see a model develop.

P

Polux

Personally I love to post and read, step by step threads!!

I always try my best doing photos...this kind, you always help the others to understand better what you have done ;)

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Agreed on all, especially yak face.

When I first got back into modeling, I thought it would be fun to do complete WIPs, but discovered it took way too much of my already meager time allotments. That and my building can be sporadic at times with substantial gaps between sessions.

So, I have went with a more truncated approach. I will show sections with a few notes. If there is a snag, or what I see as a potential snag, I will snap a pic with my phone and using the note/stylus function, I will make annotations on the photo of what the situation is and how I rectified it.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
I reckon that's entirely up to you.
It's always good to have the opinion of other modellers about a kit and also to see how they deal with any problems that may crop up but there is no need to do a step by step WIP, unless you want to.

I'm no photographer either but I've managed a few WIP type threads. I keep forgetting to take photographs so mine tend to lurch from sprue shots to completed sub assemblies, or even half completed models, with not much in between :smiling3:

I do try to highlight any issues and offer at least my solutions, which may (or may not) help others attempting the same model.

Cheers

Steve
\ said:
Steves summed it up perfectly for me , its a matter of personal choice of course but I usually try and do a build log /wip . It can help anyone thinking of the same kit as any issues or problems can be highlighted or as steve says the way of getting round the problem can be helpful to readers too. The only drawback to this is that I tend to spend more time taking photos and uploading /typing on the computer that it can really slow the build. cheers tony
\ said:
Yep all of the above! Personally, I like seeing WIP threads as it's good to see a model develop.
\ said:
Personally I love to post and read, step by step threads!!
I always try my best doing photos...this kind, you always help the others to understand better what you have done ;)
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have a go at a WIP when I start my next model.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Agreed on all, especially yak face.
When I first got back into modeling, I thought it would be fun to do complete WIPs, but discovered it took way too much of my already meager time allotments. That and my building can be sporadic at times with substantial gaps between sessions.

So, I have went with a more truncated approach. I will show sections with a few notes. If there is a snag, or what I see as a potential snag, I will snap a pic with my phone and using the note/stylus function, I will make annotations on the photo of what the situation is and how I rectified it.
Thanks for the reply Brett.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
im the same as the others..........i always like to do a build thread but tend to forget to take pics so it suddenly goes from sprue shots to half finished :oops:

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
im the same as the others..........i always like to do a build thread but tend to forget to take pics so it suddenly goes from sprue shots to half finished :oops:
Thanks Paul.I'll just have to remember to take pics. :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There is value in WIP posts I find. Very often I will search a forum for build information on a particular model for inspiration or just plain nicking of techniques or ideas, sometimes a member will chip in with a little nugget of information or even a photo that really helps you out. With GB's and SIG's being able to see what others are doing with similar or the same subject can be a great resource and encouragement to achieve a satisfying result...I'm waiting for Joe to do the paint work on his Raspberry Ripple Hawk so I can learn from his mistakes!!!

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
There is value in WIP posts I find. Very often I will search a forum for build information on a particular model for inspiration or just plain nicking of techniques or ideas, sometimes a member will chip in with a little nugget of information or even a photo that really helps you out. With GB's and SIG's being able to see what others are doing with similar or the same subject can be a great resource and encouragement to achieve a satisfying result...I'm waiting for Joe to do the paint work on his Raspberry Ripple Hawk so I can learn from his mistakes!!!
\ said:
I like to do them and I also like to see them but its your choice
Thanks for your input Rick and Ian.

I have decided to do one and see how it goes.

D

demon

It's entirely up to you but I must say since I have been posting work in progress I would like to think it has helped my modelling

I have a bad habit of rushing builds and I think it's slowed me down and made me think more

Roger

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A WIP is nice to watch. This comes from the worst person for following up his own WIP. It's been nearly two weeks since I updated mine !

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
It's entirely up to you but I must say since I have been posting work in progress I would like to think it has helped my modelling
I have a bad habit of rushing builds and I think it's slowed me down and made me think more

Roger
\ said:
A WIP is nice to watch. This comes from the worst person for following up his own WIP. It's been nearly two weeks since I updated mine !
Thank you Roger and Colin for you input:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I'm waiting for Joe to do the paint work on his Raspberry Ripple Hawk so I can learn from his mistakes!!!
Oi! Good things take time Rick. Not long now and I can return to the bench.

\ said:
do people here prefer to see a WIP of people's builds or just a finished kit.
I like to see WIP, particularly if it's a rarer build. WIP updates can help others as well as surprising advice you can receive along the way with methods or kit issues.

D

Deleted member 4539

\ said:
Oi! Good things take time Rick. Not long now and I can return to the bench.
I like to see WIP, particularly if it's a rarer build. WIP updates can help others as well as surprising advice you can receive along the way with methods or kit issues.
Thanks for your input Joe. :smiling3: