Wooden Bases

S

skipyy77

I'm trying to locate a shop/site that sell wooden Diorama bases on the cheap.

Does any one know of one. Ebay used to have a shop but I couldn't find any decent size bases for a 1:35 tank diorama.

I can't make one myself as I do not have the tools.

I'm after a 25cm x 18 or 20cm base.

cheers.

C

CDW

if you want a base to add decor then just use photo frames. you can pick them up at charity shops cheap.

I use them and also make them out of balsa wood for specific shapes and sizes.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wooden Bases - For Modellers Trophy Makers and Collectors.

Don't forget the laws about importing wood to your part of the world. I hear they are rather strict about it.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi again.

I'm sure that one of our Aussie members will be able to point you in the right direction.

If you don't have to have the nice and smooth polished wood look, a great base can be made from a slice of a thick branch or a thin trunk. You say you don't have the tools but I will guess you have a saw, or know someone that does.

Ian M

N

noble

try using white boards, you can get em from tesco home in any size for a few quid.

scott

P

phalinmegob

hate to think about the shipping costs scott :plane:

S

skipyy77

I'm an ozzie living in the UK. What are these whiteboards in tesco then.

Please.

I'm building a tamiya early stug 3 G for a Kursk Diorama, and I will have some infantry following behind the Stug so I need a decent size base.

I have already decided on the grass to put.

Are there any Uk based shops that do wooden bases?

P

phalinmegob

you have your location set to australia...

MDF and Solid Wood Bases and Plinths

Wooden Bases - For Modellers Trophy Makers and Collectors.

cannot endorse either because i have not used them but i may get a few from the second link myself

P

Polux

I have discovered recently a few bases of wood for painters, they are very light and resistant, perfect for any diorama. Great quantity of measures and they can find in shops of 'fine arts' to a very economic price (at least here in Spain).

Regards

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'm an ozzie living in the UK. What are these whiteboards in tesco then.Please.

I'm building a tamiya early stug 3 G for a Kursk Diorama, and I will have some infantry following behind the Stug so I need a decent size base.

I have already decided on the grass to put.

Are there any Uk based shops that do wooden bases?
The link that I sent you (and also from Andrew) is UK based....

May I ask that you maybe change your flag in your profile to either the English one or the Union Jack. It does help people see where you are in the world. As you have seen it does reflect on the replies you will get.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I would never use of any sort of 'solid' wood for bases....

Putting my joiner's hat on for a minute....Timber in small, flat, board sized proportions, even diorama base size, will probably wharp and split to some degree, no matter what it's sealed with.

In my book only composite boards are any good, such as MDF and plywood....even chipboard (Which I mostly use) All these must still be sealed top, bottom and all edges.

As pointed out, picture frames are spot on for surrounds.....Try leaving in the glass, sounds daft, but it does work, honestly! But obviously it does require a bit more care, but the advantage is it doesn't require the fitting of a plywood base.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Ron