WWII RAF aircraft markings

G

Graham COULSON

Hello everyone,

I have a question about RAF aircraft markings.

In planning to build the Tamiya 1/48 scale Lancaster, I hope to be able to assign it the proper and accurate markings for Edwin Swales’ airplane.

I’d rather not just rely on Internet images for this information in case they’re slightly wrong in some way. Instead, I thought I’d try and understand from you guys the outline concepts of WWII RAF aircraft markings, so that I get it right.

At present, all I do know for certain is the code for his Squadron, which is 6O (six Oh-for-Oscar), but whether the squadron code should appear on the port or the starboard side of the fuselage and what should go on the opposite side is beyond my ken!

Can anyone help, please? I’d be most grateful for the benefit of your expert knowledge.

Regards,

Graham.

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

wait a moment mate 1/32????

That would be huge. 1/48 i think...:eek:

Anyway, try databases on the RAF historical sites and things like that..

Cheers, John

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
wait a moment mate 1/32????
That would be huge. 1/48 i think...:eek:

Anyway, try databases on the RAF historical sites and things like that..

Cheers, John
Thanks, John -- you're obviously on your toes this morning, which is more than can be said for me!!!!!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The only 100% reliable method is to find images of your intended victim. The next best thing is images of other aircraft on the same squadron. Finally you can be reasonably sure that national markings, serials and stencils applied at the point of production would follow the standards set down by the Air Ministry and MAP at that time.

RAF aircraft were generally marked according to the regulations, there were of course some exceptions but these were usually at a time when regulations were changing rapidly, particularly at times when seeking clarification might not have been top of a station or squadron commanders agenda (as for fighters in 1939/40).

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Swales's Lancaster was 6O-M PB358. Looks like it has 6O-M on either side of the fuselage in standard format (ie the squadron codes read left to right with ^O prior to the roundel on th eleft and the individual main code M to the right of the roundel. They were painted in red. A smaller individual code letter M on the nose area, possibly in white.

E

Edgar Brooks

The system was actually very simple; whatever two-letter/number Squadron code was designated, it always appeared the same way, whichever side of the roundel it was painted (and it was entirely the Squadron's choice.)

Under no circumstances could the 6O be split. Your Lancaster could have been 6O-roundel-M, or M-roundel-6O; either way, the Squadron code was always written as 6O, and the aircraft's individual letter ("M" in this case) had to be on the opposite side of the roundel.

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Swales's Lancaster was 6O-M PB358. Looks like it has 6O-M on either side of the fuselage in standard format (ie the squadron codes read left to right with ^O prior to the roundel on th eleft and the individual main code M to the right of the roundel. They were painted in red. A smaller individual code letter M on the nose area, possibly in white.
Hello Joe,

That's great info -- thank you very much indeed. Now I can start modelling it.

Is there such a thing as an alpha-numeric complete set of decals for specific scale models? If not, I may have to hand-paint the markings, which with my shaky hands will be an absolute nightmare!:eek:

Thanks, Joe, for spotting my question and for your most helpful reply.

Kind regards,

Graham.

Last edited:
G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
The system was actually very simple; whatever two-letter/number Squadron code was designated, it always appeared the same way, whichever side of the roundel it was painted (and it was entirely the Squadron's choice.)
Under no circumstances could the 6O be split. Your Lancaster could have been 6O-roundel-M, or M-roundel-6O; either way, the Squadron code was always written as 6O, and the aircraft's individual letter ("M" in this case) had to be on the opposite side of the roundel.
Hello Edgar,

Thanks for that -- I think I've got it now (doh!)

As an RAF brat, I should really know better!:oops:

Strange to relate, I have always been under the misapprehension that WWII RAF aircraft markings consisted of the Squadron code on one side and the individual aircraft code on the other. Totally illogical, I know, and even more so when I think that I realised war ships had the same markings on BOTH port and starboard, and so why not the same for the RAF? Don't ask me -- I'm just stupid; born that way!:confused:

Regards,

Graham.

You could try Xtradecal for your marking options.

Just make sure you order the correct size (height) letters.

www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?setPerPage=25&manufacturer_id=8274&product_type_id=2677&scale_id=955&search_direction=asc&pageID=1

There's some in red near the bottom of the first page.

Tom

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
You could try Xtradecal for your marking options.
Just make sure you order the correct size (height) letters.

www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?setPerPage=25&manufacturer_id=8274&product_type_id=2677&scale_id=955&search_direction=asc&pageID=1

There's some in red near the bottom of the first page.

Tom
Dear Tom,

Fabulous! I haven't looked yet but it sounds like there IS such a thing, just going by the name -- very hopeful... Will take a look see.

Thanks so much for that excellent suggestion.

Kind regards,

Graham.

First Name
Robert
I agree with the above comments on xtradecal site. If you are in doubt of the size you can ask the xtradecal sire direct as they can find you your exact aircraft and get the scale of numeric letters numbers for your scale 1/48?

I have used the service before and the customer service is excellent

Regards

Robert Cameron