Yamaha YZR500 with Kenny Roberts racing rider.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
This was one of the first kits I bought and have put off building it for such a long time, it’s an old kit and king Kenny Roberts was one of my heroes when I was a teenager first spotted him in the movie classic "on any Sunday" (worth watching if you haven’t all ready)

I opened the box back in the spring just after the biker build off and have had very little time since, work commitments you know the story anyway dark nights and here we go again so I cleared out the workshop blew all the dust away and off we go just a couple of pictures of progress so far, I will say I have found this model a challenge so far, Mainly because the plastic parts are not as well formed as the newer kits (or is it just me?)

It’s going to be fun anyway.

THE BOX View attachment 36851

FRAME AND ENGINE View attachment 36850 i cut the plastic chain due to the fact I had not read the instructions the older one's don't have a split in them)

THE KINGS BODY AND FAIRINGSView attachment 36852 this is well and trully filled with putty set the arms to the handle bars before I attached the to the trunk the silver is just under coat to let me see the imperfections

Enjoy, comments more than welcome

Simon

View attachment 41076

View attachment 41077

View attachment 41078

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1556.jpg

DSCF1555.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not looking too bad at all Simon keep up the good work should turn out to be a stunning build

T

treyzx10r

Simon I built this kit a few years back and you're right its not as nice as the newer ones but it does build out okay. Its the only game in town for this subject unless you want to scratch one. There are a lot of upgrade kits available for the YZ500

at 1/12 Bike Grade-up Set

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
thanks Trey - had a look at the up grades before i started but nothing stood out - quite happy to plod on with the putty and sand paper.hopefully i will look the part when finished

simon

T

treyzx10r

Simon the only problem I really had now that I think about it were the decals ,they we're really brittle and I had to spray them with decal set before using them,looking forward to seeing this build!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
thanks for that tray - iwill test them before use - hope i do it justus !!!!!!!!!-

tried the clock decals and lckly managed to get them both into place but you are correct very brittle

whats the story with the decal set if you don't mind me asking?

simon

Last edited by a moderator:

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
update

small up date managed to get the exhaust's fitted and some smaller parts, only proble was connecting all the radiator hoses at the same time very tight space - exhaust turned out ok and i think there in the right place (bonus) moved on to the fairings and more filler not much just need a small window now to prime and paint hopfully over the weekend

simon

View attachment 37077View attachment 37078View attachment 37079View attachment 37080

View attachment 41286

View attachment 41287

View attachment 41288

View attachment 41289

DSCF1559.jpg

DSCF1561.jpg

DSCF1562.jpg

DSCF1560.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Simon its coming along nicely ,really like the heat blueing nicely done!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
T

treyzx10r

Simon looks great!And good luck with the decals,even after spraying mine with decal bonder they still gave me a fit!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
just about there !!

The bike

Just about there, this was a real labour of love! – managed to get all the bits together the paint was looking quite good then I tried the decals Tray had warned me about them so I started on the smallest ones first tank and rear end came out fine the was some damage on the tank Yamaha stripe but I dressed as best I could the really small decals just disintegrated before my eyes a real bummer. The worst was yet to come the fairing decals just broke up the minute I took them out of the water despite trying to piece them together there were just too many twists and turns to negotiate – luckily because I had been warned and possible a bit of hind sight I had scanned them in to the pc – and after doing much research I finally bought some decal paper and acrylic spray. Worked a treat

Rider (Kenny Roberts)

Despite my initial problems with the rider painting was quite straight forward and after what seems like months I have managed to finish him he could be better but I am happy with the results and wanted to move on to another project – for some reason the decals for the rider were ok no issues with them and they went on no bother at all, although I was very cautious.

Let me know what you think (be gentle)

Final pictures next day or two

Simon

View attachment 41975

View attachment 41976

View attachment 41977

View attachment 41978

View attachment 41979

View attachment 41980

J.jpg

K.jpg

L.jpg

M.jpg

N.jpg

O.jpg

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Finished and in the cabinet

Here as promised the last couple of pictures – looks pretty good, well pleased with the end results although I did doubt I would get it finished.

Not sure what’s next but I will post any update’s as and when.

Hope everyone had a good new year

All the best

Simon

View attachment 38171View attachment 38172View attachment 38173View attachment 38174View attachment 38175

View attachment 42277

View attachment 42278

View attachment 42279

View attachment 42280

View attachment 42281

View attachment 42282

1A.jpg

1B.jpg

1C.jpg

1D.jpg

1E.jpg

1F.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Really impressive action build Simon.

The rider, figures being my bug bear, is very well done.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Simon what a great job you did on a really tough subject!!! 5stars from me !