1/12 Brabham BT44B in the making

R

Richy C

Hi gents , my mojo`s well up for this one - my 1st proper 1/12 F1 race car build , not much to show but a few parts done - engine block - gearbox and some bodywork , for a kit well over 30yrs old it goes together quite well , a bit of sanding but nothing major so far , the old decals were yellowed so got a new set from indycals will try and detail it to the best of my ability ( got quite a few references and photo`s ) already got a pe harness set , braided hoses -wiring - hose connectors -fuel pipes - pe hex bolts and screws etc that are on the way , will ab as much as possible gonna use good old halfords primer , zero paints and clearcoat , alclads , tamiya`s and for brush work vallejo.

just to compare the size I put it next to a 1/20 Mclaren mp4/5b I made a few yrs ago and it seems massive , I`ve got my work cut out on this one as I would like to give the engine that worn look that you would get from an F1 car in the mid-70`s.

Richy

View attachment 33250View attachment 33251

View attachment 37953

View attachment 37954

brabham 002.jpg

brabham 006.jpg

M

munkster

Looks lovely already - don't forget you've got to make me look good with the FW16 though but looking at that McLaren there's no hope of that :smiling:

Out of interest, what clearcoat will you use for the Zero Paints? I'm going to be using those for the FW16 and haven't used them before. All I have is some Klear-a-like from Lakeland but would be upset if it messed up the paintwork since I think it's going to get quite "fraught" at that stage...

R

Richy C

Hi Rob , plan to use zero pre-mixed clearcoat maybe , but never used it for this size scale before and I`m sure I will be very nervy when I get to that stage it could make or brake the model , for your fw16 I`m sure you know the zero colour base coats your gonna use dry matt so you will need a gloss top coat , if you opt for the zero pre-mixed clear coat you must give it a mist coat 1st to seal the decals ( go to heavy straight away it could eat the decals being its solvent based ) then a few medium to heavy coats , zero clear takes a little getting used to but can give great results , another option is tamiya TS-13 clear gloss covers well over zero base coats but a mist coat is still needed first ,

the route I take when using zero stuff is-

1- basecoat colours

2- mist coat clear

3- medium to heavy clear

4- decals

5- mis coat clear

6- medium to heavy clear

7- polish

to be honest mate if your unsure and want the safe route you could use vallejo gloss , I`ve not ruled out using tamiya ts-13 clear on the brabham yet because the size , depends how brave and confident I feel on the day .

Richy

M

munkster

Great thanks - the Zero Paints FAQ says you can use "Halfords Lacquer" as well - might be another option, and probably cheaper ml for ml...

Last edited:
R

Richy C

Finally making small progress with this one , the Ford DFV engine and gearbox is there or there abouts still needs the wiring and plumbing bits and pieces etc - gone for the used look as you might expect for race car from the 70`s , I`ve seen a lot of builds of this car and on most of them the engine has not been weathered and in my eyes it does not look right for cars of this era , also with the seat I`ve gone for the padded gaffa tape look which most drivers would have done even after a seat fitting - the Virgin F1 team still used this method even today , race belts will be added later , the bodywork has been sprayed zero brill white now gonna do the zero clear coat , the last photo shows a few extras that will be used , apart from the bodywork I plan to to make this look like a well used racecar from the 70`s

cheers

Richy

View attachment 34977View attachment 34978View attachment 34979View attachment 34980View attachment 34981View attachment 34982

View attachment 39453

View attachment 39454

View attachment 39455

View attachment 39456

View attachment 39457

View attachment 39458

006.jpg

brabham 2 007.jpg

brabham 2 008.jpg

brabham 2 011.jpg

brabham 2 017.jpg

brabham 2 024.jpg

M

munkster

Just got in and seen this - love love love that engine, looks perfectly aged for the era if you ask me. Nice little haul of aftermarket bits there too!! This looks like it's going to be amazing and no mistake!

O

Ozzie Dave

Just came across this site & wondering if anyone can help. Just recently purchased the original (non-pe) kit off EBay after 30+ years of not modelling. Was wondering if anyone has a copy of the instructions in English they could copy/scan/photograph & e-mail me. If so, send me a message. Or if anyone knows where I could download one on-line. Thanks.

Last edited:
R

Richy C

Hi Dave , I`ve got the instructions in English for the BT44B that I can copy for you if you send me a pm with your email address I will try a sort it out for you.

Cheers

Richy