1:144 Airbus A380 'First Flight Livery'

T

Tristan

Hi Guys,

Yes, I have YET to start this model, but I am desperate to get it off the ground, pardon the pun! I haven't posted here in a while purely because I have been soo busy with work and also I do go-kart racing too, I have a new job which I am starting tomorrow also so I hope that will bring in regular money which always helps!

I posted a while back, that I had this in the wardrobe, completely new and still in it's box. I have done modelling in the past but I have always built the model first and then very badly painted it! But I want to change that, with this model.

It is my dream to become a commercial airline pilot and I already have my Private Pilot's Licence, having accumulated approximately 70 hours.

So let me introduce you to the whale!...

I went to my local modelling shop about 2 months ago now, to get these paints. I spent quite a long time in there and even took the model with me, the owner was very helpful and advised me to get these three paints:

They are, 1x Silver (11) Humbrol Acrylic Spray Paint, 1x Aluminium (56) Humbrol Model & Craft Hobby Spray Acrylic and finally 1x White Gloss (22) Humbrol Acrylic Spray.

Here are a few more pictures of the kit:

Now, here comes the tricky part with myself.. I'm not too sure about how to start painting this one.. I think the chap at the shop said if you can try and support the two pieces of fuselage and paint the White Gloss over these two to get the finish on them, the same with the wings and I believe engine's and tail.

Should I be priming this thing before hand? What is the best way to start?

Of course I will be using this thread from now on to update my progress on this project but also I am looking for some guidance here and there because to be honest, I am totally new at doing modelling properly!

Many Thanks and I look forward to your comments!

Tristan

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I work for the company that builds the body and wing landing gera for that beast. There is over 80 litres of oil in each of the four main LG shock struts! Seal changes on those gears are messy!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have made this one if you are spraying under coat first humbrol gloss sprays are good but some times need a gloss varnish.if you can spray out side i always hang mine from the washing line anyway good luck with this one as not many people do airliners.and humbrol undercoat and no 64 are both the same so i was told by my model shop.and iam just up the road from you i bishops lydeard.

cheers peter

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tristan

\ said:
I work for the company that builds the body and wing landing gera for that beast. There is over 80 litres of oil in each of the four main LG shock struts! Seal changes on those gears are messy!
I can quite imagine! I don't think this one will be quite as messy as the real one!

\ said:
I have made this one if you are spraying under coat first humbrol gloss sprays are good but some times need a gloss varnish.if you can spray out side i always hang mine from the washing line anyway good luck with this one as not many people do airliners.and humbrol undercoat and no 64 are both the same so i was told by my model shop.and iam just up the road from you i bishops lydeard.cheers peter
That's a good idea about the washing line Peter, thanks!

So would you advise me to get some Gloss Varnish spray aswell?

I think I'll spray the white gloss on the fuselage and see how that turns out, if it needs a varnish I will pop and get some!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
its up to you but i always find that spray gloss is not that glossy but again its all down to preferance

cheers peter

T

Tristan

\ said:
its up to you but i always find that spray gloss is not that glossy but again its all down to preferancecheers peter
Ok, thanks Peter! Finally, I'm thinking of actually glueing the fuselage together first and then spraying. The reason is because I can fill in the seams to make it a smooth transition between the two, if you get me...

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
An airliner, nice one Tristan, something not seen too often on here, I'll follow your thread with interest.

Tony.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
yep i do get you i havent done an airliner for a couple years so it will be nice to see how yours turns out.

cheers peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Tristan. Nice looking kit, keen to see the progress you make with this. What are you flying with your PPL? Best of luck on the commercial pilot mission, you will need a lot of time, preparation, dedication and application to see it through. Not to mention a lot of money! As for the A380, I have taxied behind a few on occasions and those wheel bogies are larger than my aeroplane!

T

Tristan

UPDATE: 30th April 2013 - 18:15

I now officially call my first "1:44 Airbus A380 'First Flight Livery' project underway! My parents are out of the house for a week in Tenerife (Lucky...) so I made the decision to start painting yesterday! I put the fuselage into the garage to start spraying as it's a warm-ish environment and free from dust and everything else. I did try to put it on the washing line as Peter suggested but it kept flapping around all the time, so opted to move inside which was a better idea!

I am not glueing the fuselage together first as there are a lot of components that need to go in before you glue the two halves together. We can get to the seems when I get to it!

I had to pop out today to pick up the rest of the paints I needed to so now I'm all ready to go (Except for one paint I forgot!). Here are a few pictures with some descriptions!

My new paints! (Well some of them..)

The workstation! With laptop for radio and facebook!

My workstation again.

And here we go, it's under way! The front nose wheel and wheel structure painting is complete and I have started work on the engine fan blades. I am planning on doing something special for the engines, stay tuned!

Engine fan blades.

First coat of white gloss spray paint on the fuselage. I have now put a light second coat on and will see how that got on tomorrow morning.

Hope you guys like the update, as always I am working through it but slow paced..

Take care,

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
It's coming on nicely i am thinking of getting a BA jumbo but keep at it.

Cheers again peter

T

Tristan

\ said:
It's coming on nicely i am thinking of getting a BA jumbo but keep at it.Cheers again peter
Ooo same here!! If you find one, can you let me know where you got it please? I bidded for one on eBay a while back but got sniped right at the last second! :sad:

T

typerjim

good luck with this. it looks great so far.

out of interest, are the windows single pieces or do them come on a sprue so you can apply a lot in one hit?

I'd like to do an airliner one day.

T

Tristan

\ said:
good luck with this. it looks great so far.out of interest, are the windows single pieces or do them come on a sprue so you can apply a lot in one hit?

I'd like to do an airliner one day.
Hi typerjim,

Apologies for the late reply, recently got a new job and also have been a bit busy with getting on with the kit and also my studies for my commercial aviation licence :smiling3:

I haven't found any windows in the model kit so I assume they will just be empty..

I will do some research to find out if they 'were' supposed to come with windows or not! :smiling3:

Take care,

T

Tristan

Quick update...

All of the wheels are now painted! Had to get a cocktail stick for absolute precision with the black paint around the wheel hubs. It took quite a long time and patience but they look great! I think the are called this, but the brake disc and wheel assembly are painted and the Gear housing area is currently being painted.

I am still needing to get to my local shop to get some more spray paint, both white and silver, I might also stock up on Aluminium as these cans run out very very easily! :sad: I still have the engine front cones to paint!

But I'm just happy all of those wheels are done! :smiling3:

Hope you are all well..

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Hi i have done this kit not to long ago and it does not have windows but try using clearfix for the windows

cheers peter

T

Tristan

\ said:
Hi i have done this kit not to long ago and it does not have windows but try using clearfix for the windowscheers peter
Thanks Peter, What exactly is Clearfix?

Thanks,

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
sorry i have not got back to you sooner,clearfix is made by humbrol and is used for fixing in windows and making windows on airliners like yours if you us a cocktail stick get a good blob and draw across the opening and as it dries clear it makes a good window.

Cheers peter

T

Tristan

\ said:
sorry i have not got back to you sooner,clearfix is made by humbrol and is used for fixing in windows and making windows on airliners like yours if you us a cocktail stick get a good blob and draw across the opening and as it dries clear it makes a good window.Cheers peter
Hi Peter, many thanks for the info. I think for this one I might just leave them empty, but thanks!

I've hit a bit of a dead end today.. I'm masking up the wings so I can spray on the second lighter grey colour for the leading and trailing edge of the wings.. Now I have just done a colour test with a spray paint I was recommended and to me it just doesn't look the right paint/colour for the job.

I'm using this image for reference:

Photos: Airbus A380-861 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

I have already spray the whole wing silver as a base coat and the colour for the middle of the wing, but as I said I am masking up the wing(s) ready for the the lighter grey/creamy colour at the front of the wing..

I was given Humbrol Acrylic Spray Paint Aluminium Number 11, but it just looks too dark.. :/

Can someone give me another recommendation.. Many thanks!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
try humrol 27002 polished aluminium it comes in spray but i always find brushing is better but it my preferancecheers peter