1:144 Airbus A380 'First Flight Livery'

First Name
Andy
Try it on some spare first, prep it like you have on the wing and then give it a coat, it might settle after a day or so and get lighter, I have had similar things happen before with metallic type paints...

For lenses, car windows etc, I use Micro Kristal Klear ( Microscale Micro Kristal Klear MSKK ) from the shop, once it dries it is clear and looks good too, so would work perfectly for small windows...

This is it going on, (remember this is just a lens, but you can get a general idea)...: -

And once dry...: -

And as you can see the thickness it dries clear...: -

just a thought, hope it helps...

Andy...

T

Tristan

Thanks for advice guys, It certainly looks a good thing to but I'll look into it more when the time comes!

UPDATE:

Only last night I was sat watching the tv thinking about my model and what I have done so far. Then an idea popped into my head. My favourite airline is British Airways, They have already ordered A380 aircraft and I am in the process of making an A380 that is already painted white.. How about putting the two together and perhaps making the first ever Revell British Airways A380!

So that's what I am now doing, pretty simple to do really! Just a case of getting the blue correctly placed/painted on the fuselage and paint the engines the same Royal Blue which I purchased today!

I've now found a good paint (Primer actually) that is going to be the paint for my leading and trailing edge parts of the wing, and that is already masked up and ready to spray on! Fan blade cones are now painted.

I know I am taking my time with this model but to be honest, I want this to absolutely perfect! :smiling3:

I am even more looking forward to finishing this beautiful model as it's now going to be a British Airways New plane! :D Registration: G-XLEA!

I will post some pictures up soon!

T

Tristan

Hi Guys,

I have a big update and a few pictures for you today! The project is still under major construction, but minor building has commenced! :smiling3: Apologies for the lack of photos, I am now studying for my ATPL's (Commercial Aviation Theory Exams) and doing that daily so tend to do that and if I have time I like to get stuck in to my modelling, so don't always have my camera available! But here is an update and pictures for today:

First up, we have the engine parts painted in their right colour and ready to be put onto the engines. These are the back ends of the engine's, hence the dark grey/silver colour. Just above the back bits of the engines are some of the brakes the are attached to the wheels. These are painted in two colours which was in the instructions. They look great on the wheel, which I will show a bit later..

Bit of a closer image, I really love the colour of these. Clean Aircraft! :D

Next up, we have the engine front cowling bit's (Not sure what they are called, I should know!) But these are painted in silver, as referenced from photos. I was going to put a darker silver/grey half way through, again as referenced in pictures, but this will be very difficult to do.. I tried masking, it won't get straight, and also thought about dipping half of it in the paint but it may become quite thick.. So I'm passing on this and keeping it one colour:

Closer up...:

Now the huge number of wheels that were painted with absolute patience and precision. The way I painted these were to paint the inside hub part silver and then once dry, use a cocktail stick (Yes on each and every wheel, BOTH sides for 20 wheels) and dipping it in the black paint finely going around the tyre part of the wheel. After that I used a brush to get the rest of the tyre black. This took a long time but they look absolutely great!!

This is the small structure that my dad made for me to make the paint dry when I had the idea of dipping it in the paint.

I still have to finish building these wheels but they are ready to go, these wheel's and structure's are attached close to the wing root:

And now, the finished Main Landing gear wheels! It does make me think that the ones on the real aircraft are really hugeee!!

You can just see the brakes at the front of this image:

And the front nose gear:

The wing spraying is now finished, I'm keeping the leading edge slats the same colour as they pretty much look the same colour on a photo, I am really happy with how the colours have come out. The lighter grey is a simple light grey Tamiya primer, and did a perfect job, had to cut the masking tape to include the curve at the back of the wing as referenced from photos.

The spray booth:

The wings with the under coat, final colour:

Hydraulic Actuator Covers for the flaps, again sprayed in the same colour:

And the engines, now these are difficult, I've decided i'm spraying these as the paint runs up the small gaps by the masking tape, even though I am pressing it down. Spraying work's better! Here is the first blue bit of the new BA Livery I am now deciding to paint it in!

So that's it! I hope you enjoyed the update and pictures, I hope the now 99% of the model is painted that construction can begin!

Thanks guys :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Tristan, that is a lot of progress. Nice work on the wheels, they have as you say, come out rather well. Good luck on your ATPL exams.