1/144 HEINKEL HE111 BULLET RIDDLED AND SMOKING DIO.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Righto, finally got around to finishing off the 1/144 scale HE111 dio attempting to land.

Feathered prop with smoke coming out of the engine, propblur on the other engine, what a pain these thing are, wouldn't fit so had to file away for what seemed for ever and a day. Undercarriage down but the damaged engine one slightly twisted. Also the bombs are still in place. Will he make it down, will the undercarriage fail, will the bombs go off...WHO KNOWS! Mounted on base with three different grasses. Just got the base to varnish and that's it.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 69360

View attachment 69361

View attachment 69362

View attachment 69363

View attachment 69364

DSCF1722.JPG

DSCF1723.JPG

DSCF1724.JPG

DSCF1725.JPG

DSCF1726.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Great work on such a small scale Si really like the flaming and smoking engine
Thanks Ian, I was toying with idea of adding red and orange sheets of flame but that would spoil the dio's theme. The plane got shot up but made it back to attempt a landing so smoke coupled with hot sparks seemed to go better. Glad you like it.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Fantastic Si love the engine fire with all that black smoke did you use cotton wool to get that effect?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Fantastic Si love the engine fire with all that black smoke did you use cotton wool to get that effect?
Hi Alan, yeah just cotton wool on a roll. It has had two coats of light grey primer, two coats of a darker grey primer and then black matt sponged on near the engine with specks of yellow/orange sparks. Another method is to use scrub foliage, glued together and formed into a smoke pyre, this handy to use for ground vehicles etc.

Glad you like it mate.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It is a great effect It's given me some ideas :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
It is a great effect It's given me some ideas :smiling3:
If you use the cotton wool method, although the spray paint hardens the surface, it could bend too much so strengthen with a small amount of thin wire.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent stuff Si , its got a fantastic sense of drama to it - will he make it down safe or not ? great build from me , cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
The smoke is a fantastic detail Si!!Is exactly this, who give the 'strong'' to this model!

Great idea!!

Mmm...could be a GB!! Something on fire or with smoke... nice challenge :smiling3:

Cheers.
Thanks Polux, it worked okay I think. Glad you like it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Excellent stuff Si , its got a fantastic sense of drama to it - will he make it down safe or not ? great build from me , cheers tony
Cheers Tony, really pleased you like it. :D

Z

Ziper_it

Very good effect here. Even if I'm not a fan of modeled smoke I can say this is very real.

Francesco

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Very good effect here. Even if I'm not a fan of modeled smoke I can say this is very real.Francesco
Thanks Francesco, I agree that it was a gamble as sometimes the effect can look really bad. I think it works okay due to the small scale. Glad you like it.

A

AlasdairGF

Nice one! How do you do the bullet holes? A small boy near me wants all my German planes to be shot up!

C

CDW

I'm impressed with this especially at the scale, it could pass as a 1:72 easily, at this size I would have trouble that's certain

Love the smoke, you say its sprayed... Was it rattle cans or airbrush?

I've hit the great build button on this one.

Finally ... For all those that use a touchscreen tablet .... Watch out when you scroll as you can hit one of the award button's by accident and put a ''dislike'' on someone's build thread....

Ask Si and myself how we know :smiling3: :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Nice one! How do you do the bullet holes? A small boy near me wants all my German planes to be shot up!
The bullet holes are actually decals on this project. Due to the scale this was an easier option, they can be found here: , they come from Holland and cost me €11.35 including shipping, good company to use and came within a week. On larger scale I would be tempted to add holes myself using a small drill or hot wire then sanding the blob back from the hot wire.

Glad you like.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm impressed with this especially at the scale, it could pass as a 1:72 easily, at this size I would have trouble that's certainLove the smoke, you say its sprayed... Was it rattle cans or airbrush?

I've hit the great build button on this one.
The Scale is a tad difficult for me too with my disability and eyes so think this could be the last one. The smoke was rattle canned using two different colour grey primers then sponged in black and highlighted. I think it could have been better with maybe highlighting in swirls but for the scale it works.

Bless you Colin for the great build, pleased you like it mate.

Finally ... For all those that use a touchscreen tablet .... Watch out when you scroll as you can hit one of the award button's by accident and put a ''dislike'' on someone's build thread....

Ask Si and myself how we know :smiling3: :smiling3:
:D :D , was searching through the post wondering what I had wrong lol...all sorted.

A

AlasdairGF

\ said:
On larger scale I would be tempted to add holes myself using a small drill or hot wire then sanding the blob back from the hot wire.
Thanks - this prompted me to do some googling and my head is now full! Will come back to this only when I have something specific to work on...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks - this prompted me to do some googling and my head is now full! Will come back to this only when I have something specific to work on...
No problems mate, bullet holes can be a great effect on aircraft, just don't overdo them and straight line them.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That turned out nicely Si, brilliant stuff. I think your propellers looks great, as does the plume of thick smoke. The third and fourth pictures are full of suspense...