1/16 Ardennes Vignette

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter
He really has a determined look on his face. The addition of the ciggie is a nice touch which works well.
Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done, another great finish

It reminds me of Where Eagles Dare, the peaked cap, the MP 40 the Clint Eastwood eyes

Time to watch it again

cant believe its been 50 years!

Your really are back and with a bang.

Off to find your other blog

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps.

Yep, he has that Clint look Steve. I remember going to see Where Eagles Dare as a kid and absolutely loving it (that fight on the cable car). All totally ludicrous of course, but great fun.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The only difference Peter is that he isnt carrying those 48 blocks of dynamite that he magically had stashed in that one enormous rucksack:smiling5: Dont you just love Hollywood and WWII films?:tears-of-joy:

D

Deleted member 6559

Ha! Yes, and the fact that Germans are always armed with MP40s but rifle ammo pouches.

D

Deleted member 6559

The second Dragon figure is partially built and cleaned up, ready for painting:

100_2609.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looks nicely detailed. Hope it is going together well

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Back to this one, and I spent yesterday painting the head and equipment:

100_2664.JPG

As I want this group to look more Wehrmacht than SS I'm going to paint him in a mix of reed green and splinter clothing. I will admit that part of the reason is that I just don't want to paint an all over pea dot or oak leaf scheme - just not my idea of fun, tedious in the extreme (it's my party).

D

Deleted member 6559

Well, as you can see, I didn't bother with camo at all:

100_2665.JPG100_2666.JPG100_2667.JPG100_2668.JPG

I decided to paint the jacket in reed green and the trousers in field grey for a bit of variety. I made some straps from paper and wire as usual, and mounted him on a temporary base. One more to go for this group of figures....

D

Deleted member 6559

I've run out of steam with this one, so I decided to collect up the figures and bung them on a base:

100_2669.JPG100_2670.JPG100_2671.JPG100_2672.JPG100_2673.JPG100_2674.JPG100_2675.JPG

I've basically put every stand-alone German in the cabinet into this one, so it's probably not very accurate and probably can't be called the Ardennes (NB Handschar figure), but who cares?

The base is an old one thatonce hosted a 1/35 armour dio. I added some leaf mulch, grass tufts and twigs from the garden, then attacked it with the Krycell.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks like a motley crew indeed.

I guess there were many small groups of random stray German soldiers during the winter of 1944 on both fronts.

So its as accurate as could be for a snap shot, but possibly more likely in the East than the West.

I am sure there will be a photo somewhere which could both prove and disprove that thesis, but they are all superbly painted
and do look comfortable together.

What next?

Back to the bright Napoleonic's, early Roman metals, more busts?

Have a good day with the paint, its getting hot again!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Glad you like it. Perhaps the story is that they are a band of stragglers attempting to make their way to the fictional alpine redoubt. They've got the Russians to the East and Americans to the West and have realised they're not going to make it. The officer is pointing to the ground and saying ''This is where we make our final stand.'

Next up, hopefully a bust if Royal Mail obliges. One more hot day, then the weather's changing. You wait, after a week of cooler temperatures and rain we'll all be complaining about the English summer.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Scottie.

(Steve was doing other things).

D

Deleted member 6559

Now worries Scottie. I normally answer to anything, usually ''Oi, you!'' at home.

Last edited by a moderator: