1/16 Centurion Tank in Paper

C

cutandfold

Well, I will be working on some more Turret parts (over the next few days).

Because I finally got a full Track finished.

Took me two...to three weeks.

I'd say somewhere between 20 and 30 hours.

And thats including a number of modifications and assembling a lot more track than I need.

Compare that to 8 months of previous work completing half of one track

and I am much happier.

Hopefully completing the second Track will go as well.

So, a quick update...

New one piece track sections, layered parts to build some scale thickness, a lot less cutting...

Then I went back and adjusted the colours.

It was suggested to me that the track parts were still coming out too beige/sandy.

So I grayed everything out a lot more...left only some rust tone...and added the darker roadway/tire marks.

I also created a little jig to help with the gluing of the roadway parts.

Not perfect, but I decided to remove the glue tabs from these parts...too small to deal with.

And the little jig holds the part while I put some glue in the corners.

I can work on folding more parts while the glue sets up.

Every now and then a little glue squeezes through and glues the part to the jig. lol

But for the most part it helps.

...Next, comes the install...

I've tried to test fit the Track a few times, and its awkward feeding the Track in and over all the wheels.

Its also a little risky, trying to keep an eye on 20 different parts while you do it, so as to avoid bending

or breaking anything. So, for this final installation, I removed the Turret and turned the Tank over.

I made a quick holder, to support the Tank upside down, and keep fragile parts off the table.

Feeding the Track is now a little easier, since the Track falls away from the upper return rollers, but it

stills requires some patience and care.

Once the Track is in, I prepare the joiner section for overlap and gluing.

And then make the final connection.

(I used Fast Grab Aileenes glue for this step and it worked well.)

At first everything looked good, but then I noticed the tension on the rear Drive gear and its assembly.

Because I didn't use the adjustable front tensioner (which I designed after my test Tank was assembled),

my Track is a little too tight on this model.

And as a result, it is pulling the rear Drive Gear out of place.

So I decided to disconnect the Track again and try one link longer.

Its a loose fitting track, but I can live with that for the purpose of getting this test finished.

Once the side plates are installed, most of the Track is hidden, so I can hide some of the Track

sag at the top. For now, it looks like a Tank with a newly installed Track that needs adjusting!

Note (in the photo) the Smoke Pot assembly ready to install on the Turret.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant!

I do admire not only your design capabilities, but the way you come across minor problems, sit back and rethink things through to make life a bit easier for prospective modellers, of which there will be many, I'm sure....

C

cutandfold

bump...

Centurion project is on hold for this month while I catch up on a bunch of projects in preparation for this years International Paper Modelers Convention.

I plan on working full time on the Centurion in August to get it finished.

So watch for a build report then.

Thanks again for all the interest and kind words.

C

cutandfold

hello again everybody.

I'm back at this darn Tank again!

Trying to get it finished this time (before the upcoming Paper Model Convention at the end of October)

Took a month off from the Centurion...to be honest, I was glad to put it away...

had to finish up a bunch of other projects.

During that time I put a lot of thought into the Tracks, which have been a constant source of frustration.

When I finally got back to working on the model (two weeks ago), I decided to try a whole new Track design.

This will be the third? fourth? design...all in an attempt to make it simpler and quicker to build

I would like it to have less parts and be more accomodating for the less experienced builder.

Anyway, to cut the story short...I came up with a whole new idea...printed out some parts, did a test build.

And was satisified enough to tackle a complete new Track.

Everything has gone well...I finished the Track today and installed it on the Tank.

And as I said, I am satisfied with the design and will be replacing the right side Track as soon as possible.

I'm hoping two more weeks to get the other track done.

After that, I only have to install the side skirts...and I think thats it.

The other BIG part of the project is finishing the Instruction Pages and the Parts/Page layouts for the kit.

Thanks for waiting patiently!

C

cutandfold

For all those who are still watching....I know, the gaps are too long...its tough to stay connected to a project this way.

Thats the same prolem I have had.

I will not be taking on another project of this magnitude again. lol

If it can't be finished within 12 months, its too much for me!

As I mentioned, in my last post, the new (and final) Track design worked well

and it took me a couple of weeks to finish up the opposite side.

I uploaded a short video of the newly installed Tracks and the almost completed state of the model, here:

The last thing to do was install the side skirts...which I have done...

and a couple of other small details that I overlooked

...and with that, the model is finished!

Next step is to sort and arrange all the parts into pages and assemble the final Paper Model kit.

I've also got to complete the Instruction pages and all assembly diagrams.

Probably got a months work doing all that, before I can even think about getting a kit ready for sale.

I also have to dig out the DSLR and take some good final photos.

And, I want to look at necessary modifications to put out variant kits (Aussie, Brit, Israeli...)

I guess thats about it for this thread unless anyone has any questions about this model

or paper models in general.

Feel free to ask away.

Other than that, I thank all of you who had an interest in this project.

[i have saved emails from a couple of members who are interested in this kit, and I will be contacting them

as soon as a kit is ready for purchase.]

D

Deleted member 3568

That is awesome great talent I am speechless such patient dedication I could never do that even given 3 years and if I did it would only turn out half as good as that.

G

Graham D

Abosolutley amazing that you can get a card model to look so good. How big is the tank?

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
you have done a marvellous job, some of us cant do that with plastic even lol

C

cutandfold

Many "paper" modelers work with other materials and methods...

its a common practice of European builders to buy pre-printed kits (full colour/textured)

and build a model only to cover it with surface fillers, primers then paints.

I prefer the all-paper approach if you're gonna call it a paper model.

And I like sticking with whatever comes out of the printer.

Its also common to see only the base model done in paper/card/cardboard

and many other materials used to finish the model...styrene, foamboard, wood, balsa

plastics and metal are common... along with filler putties and various glues

I will only admit to using a minimum of other materials for things that just can't be easily

recreated in paper. Wire for antenna, string for steel cables, and acetate for clear windows.

My builds are often well short of high quality because I try to use only papers and will over

simplify a part to make it buildable in paper.

On this Centurion I have used some wire and string, and various short wooden dowels for

small hinge pins, the Main Gun hinge pin, the tiny swivel support for the 30cal., etc

...but 99.9% of this build is 176gsm and 199gsm plain white cardstock (and white craft/paper glues).

The finished Tank is 460mm (18" long)...590mm (23") including the Gun Barrel.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Dave

S

steve scan

This is great, I have tried several paper ships and failed miserably, just ordered a WW1 Torpedo boat as I am determined to do one.

C

cutandfold

I think Boat Hulls (in paper) are always a challenge.

I even sell a PT Boat kit, that I designed, and it was a big challenge for me to build.

A WW1 Torpedo Boat? ...more details please!

I didn't know they had Torpedo Boats in WW1.

But then again, many people think Uboats didn't appear until WW2.

I have my own forum for paper modelers (papermodelforum.com)

and I am also a member at papermodelers.com

Feel free to visit either place if you need guidance or assistance with your build.

I don't check in here as regular as I would like (sorry, very busy on too many forums)

but if i can offer any help, I will. Obviously paper is well received here, and I thank

everyone for that support. Many modelers forums are geared toward plastic and

some can be very unreceptive.

S

steve scan

Hi Dave I would be very interested in this when it is ready and I am going to check out your forum, the boat kit is one of the Conflict class and were pretty basic, the answer to them was the torpedo boat destroyer which eventually became the destroyer, I really love the ships the first war warships and would love to crack the art of building them.

C

cutandfold

So, in case you haven't heard...the Centurion MBT is done.

At least, the model is done.

I am, right now, wrapping up the final elements of the kit.

I think I have got the Instruction Pages finished...just need to proofread some more.

And I am working on the cover page right now also.

I managed to get the Tank outside this week, for some natural light photos.

Makes a change from all the indoor pics I have taken.

Also shows the colour a little better (and how the colour shifts under various lighting.

It definitely runs from green to almost gray.

But I like it, because to me it looks worn and faded, rather than the bright shiny deep bronze green.

(Just to please the Brits, I'll probably make the British version a deeper Green colour)

Anyway, I've uploaded a bunch of photos to my Facebook page

and to my Flikr Albums.

You can take a look here:

I have a couple of other models to deal with first...so the Centurion kit release will not be until late October.

I'm thinking it might be fun to time the store release with the 2014 IPMC at the end of the month.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well that turned out very nicely indeed. Great build, it was interesting to follow the build and watch this Centurion take shape from cardboard.

C

cutandfold

A few people asked to be notified when the Centurion kit became available

so, hopefully its okay to post a link to my online shop.

http://papermodelshop.com/html/military_vehicle.html

Once again, thanks for watchin'.

C

cutandfold

update to this...

the Centurion is big hit!

Not quite the seller I was hoping for (considering the two year production time)

but a success none the less.

I`m quite happy with the reception and the model received very favorable reviews

at a recent Paper Model Convention.

To expand my catalog , I have just added the first variant of the Centurion model.

An IDF version.

http://papermodelshop.com/html/military_vehicle.html

One of a few variants I have planned, the Israeli version involves a considerable

amount of work recolouring and adding a lot more textures and surface details.

I don`t have a built up version to show you, but I have created an artist`s mockup

for the cover artwork.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As well as a most interesting process, this is a most impressive build!

I hope that the sales pick up a bit for you.

Ian M