monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that dose look fiddly Peter,and turned out so well,looks great, :D

M

Mooks

That looks interesting. Where do you get those from? Looks perfect for work trips away. Do you need much in the way of tools? Would it all fit in luggage? 

Sorry for all the questions but this looks like just the thing I was after.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
That looks interesting. Where do you get those from? Looks perfect for work trips away. Do you need much in the way of tools? Would it all fit in luggage? 

Sorry for all the questions but this looks like just the thing I was after.

I got on eBay just search for card model's

It comes as an a3 size book but you will extra thick card for the keel and bulkheads as they are printed on paper,and as for tools knife ,ruler,scissors and glue are needed.

Be aware these are very large kits the one I am doing is 127 cm long but they do aircraft as well but they are big as well

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mooks

I got on eBay just search for card kits.

Found! Thanks for the reply.

Some excellent architectural models as well. perfect for the kids projects! 

I may have to invest in this and give it a go. I always like the construction of the models (The more difficult the better) but loose interest come the painting. I always seem to be choosing my next subject during the painting!

Thanks again and good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Peter.

I still advise building such a long and complicated model on a good solid permanent flat base. Rather like a balsa aircraft build, it keeps everything flat and true, which you must keep in mind during the early stages of constructing the keel and bulkheads.

You might also like to consider adding some very fine sand paper to your arsenal. It came in very handy when I did my card model - and the ongoing one - to round off corners and edges. Also, if you wander off the line a bit, you can sand back the card to the line. Be gentle mind, or you might sand some of the detail off.

Best of luck with the build...

Ron 

C

cryton 5

Hi 

Lovely start , cool crisp paint job looking forward to progress .cry 

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Right I am going in the first thing to do is buy some 1mm thick card and all bulkheads and the keel are on paper so they  have the be glued down first.

The keel itself is split into an upper and lower halves with the keels sandwiched in between.

20160802_182323.jpg

20160802_182228.jpg

20160802_182243.jpg

20160802_182440.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
a lot of work on the hull,stating to take shape, :D

will look forward to seeing an update,

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, indeed an excellent start Peter.

I know some folks might think I'm going on a bit about this initial stage, but I would hate to see you have to try and 'alter things' later on, as I did when I built my first card model the Bute Ferry -  Mainly through not getting the stage you are at spot on.

Just take your time and keep things nicely lined up, square and straight, 'cos believe me, once the bulkheads etc are done and glued they can't be altered.....

Here endeth the lesson....honest!

M

Mooks

Spent some time on the internet looking at these models and found the website for the Polish Company. Excellent stuff! When I get back from camping next week I think I will take a punt at a small model such as their F-117 to see how I go. if I enjoy it I might go one of their giant B-52's!

Loving the work you have done so far. Thanks for the inspiration.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work so far Peter, like it mate.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Carrying on from my last Post the first section of keel and bulkheads is finished and the lower and upper parts have strengthener to separate the and it also acts as a former when the outer layer is attached.

20160803_100613.jpg

20160803_100559.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is comings long rather nicely Peter. I don't envy your task with all those 1/200 scale A6M's, but the one you displayed above looks great.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have now just finished the middle section and now joined it to the front and add the middle corners and added some scrap joining pieces

20160805_070030.jpg

20160805_070024.jpg

20160805_070018.jpg

20160805_070010.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good work Peter - and fast too!

It took me a week to build my bulkheads and frame work, and the ferry I made was less than a foot long, so top marks on such rapid progress.