1/24 Ferrari 2550 GTO ..... Sir Stirling Moss

P

Polux

Beautiful Car!! I will forward looking this one with interest!

Great idea Colin, and deserved pause of your fantastic diorama.

Cheers

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice onew colin , a great subject ,both car and driver. As beautiful a car as the 250 is ,it can sometimes be a case of 'oh , another red ferrari', so its going to be a really refreshing change to see one in the green , makes you take a fresh look at what a fantastic design it actually was. As for the driver, well, stirling certainly was , and still is , THE man! Widely accepted as the greatest driver never to win the world championship , he still won countless races , not least being the Mille Miglia . Apart from this he is a true gentleman and a tireless ambassador for motorsport , a top bloke. tony

C

CDW

Looking at what i have got myself into Jeff, that idea's on the back burner :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

so.......

Got the engine block together and added rockercovers and odd and sods, scratched some HT leads and will be adding hoses when i find my black tubing. Won't be going ocerboard with extras as not much of it will be seen when the lids on:smiling3:

Have drifted away from the destructions as i'm making sure there's room for stuff before i end up with a body that wont fit due to a hose being too high or something stupid. I'm leaving the chassis bare plastic as you wont see it much and the car had a black chassis anyway.

View attachment 52520View attachment 52522View attachment 52521

Looks like i'll be painting a fair bit on the sprues as it's more fiddly than a fiddly thing thats got a degree in fiddlyology.

View attachment 52523

As per usual there's loads of conflicting info about what colour bits were so i'm going with the best looking and most logical.... sort of :smiling3:

View attachment 55059

View attachment 55060

View attachment 55061

View attachment 55062

20121105_100017.jpg

20121105_100028.jpg

20121105_100042.jpg

20121105_100403.jpg

C

CDW

a bit of a set back, the wheels and tyres ......

Come in three chromed pieces per wheel, two outers and a spoked thin inner disc, all very brittle and covered in chromed flash (the worst parts in the kit)

Got them all rubbed down and ready, glued them up as per the destructions into the tyres, then used mini clamps to hold them so the the rims met in the tyre, this meant the tyres were squashed slightly

when the clamps were taken off the tyre expanded back to shape and ripped the inner of the rims apart, snapping the spokes and making three of the four completely unusable.

Should have gone with my gut feeling and glued them together outside the tyre then carefully inserted them when dry ..... ho hum.

Gonna have a look for some nice wheels and to be honest i like the look of the car with a retro alloy, have seen an image of a GTO with alloys in a track event and it looked good.

F

funkyrimpler

Colin, what a pain in 'arris about those wheels....thats the part of modelling that does my head in..the unforced error...

Having said that, as you say, when you can source some alternative wheels (keep us posted on that particular topic please mate), then hopefully it should look like the business. Good work on the rocker covers, the detailing there is in a 'high risk' area and it looks spot on.

Have you thought about the dio or is it too much at the moment??

C

CDW

"unforced errors" ... i like that :smiling3:

Wheels might not pose so much of a problem as there's plenty of cheap 1/24 (ish) toy cars in the shops at the mo.... might find some nice wheels i can re-mackle to fit.

Thought about a simple dio ... doors/bonnet open .... some mechanics floating around in beige overalls .... maybe a pit wall or something.

Then again i suppose it'd look ok on a polished wooden plynth with open hatches showing interior detail?

C

CDW

Engine and chassis done. pipework added etc.

View attachment 52661View attachment 52662View attachment 52663

floor pan together ready for paint

View attachment 52664

Body assembled, the roof had been mis-moulded and was about 1mm offset, had a bit of filing and sanding to get it square, the left door fits badly with a huge gap but i'm going to display it doors open so no worries really

View attachment 52665

some of the interior, simulating brown leather

View attachment 52667View attachment 52670

Wheels sourced, they're alloys and i've had to add a little tube to the rear so they fit to the spindles and still show the disc brake assembly if you look through the spokes

View attachment 52666

Exhausts and some scratch built harnesses

View attachment 52671View attachment 52672View attachment 52668View attachment 52669

View attachment 55200

View attachment 55201

View attachment 55202

View attachment 55203

View attachment 55204

View attachment 55205

View attachment 55206

View attachment 55207

View attachment 55208

View attachment 55209

View attachment 55210

View attachment 55211

20121109_221941.jpg

20121109_221950.jpg

20121109_222012.jpg

20121109_222049.jpg

20121109_222103.jpg

20121109_222222.jpg

20121109_222228.jpg

20121109_222235.jpg

20121109_222246.jpg

20121109_222306.jpg

20121109_222325.jpg

20121109_222334.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work on the harness colin , and good job sourcing the wheels , keep at it matey its going to look great , cheers tony

C

CDW

Well just had another set-back of sorts when trying a dry-fit of everything.

Whilst easing the body onto the finished chassis the plastic strut between the windscreen and bonnet opening snapped at a weak bit. when the bodies on this stays slightly open. This means i'll have to glue and sand this crack in situ ... what a pain.

Issue now is that instead of painting the body and then fitting it, i'll have to mask all the inners off and paint it like that.

I'll be using a rattle can of Vauxhaul reed green over a white base instead of grey so it's brighter and lighter.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice Colin, great detail. Good to see a motor being build, it makes a nice change. It's certainly putting up a fight though!

The mention of Sterling Moss brought back memories of when I was a diddy winky. I remember seeing him, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Roy Salvadori, all the top F1 drivers at Oulton Park in Cheshire, when this was one of the premier F1 British race track.

For a couple of shilling (10p) the public could walk around the pit area and get autographs of the drivers....How times change!

My dad made me a set of wooden steps so I could see the race from his height....Happy days.

Thanks for jogging the memory bank!

Keep the photos coming.

Ron

C

CDW

Heh heh thanks Ron, glad i'm sparking some memories, i seem to live on them these days, keeps me away from the horrible real world ...

I've spent many a happy afternoon pushing my car to the limits round Oulton Park on their track days .... i even managed to stay on the grey bit most of the time too.

My claim to fame is i beat Bruno Senna round a lap once ..... he was on an in-lap though but we dont mention this :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

I've been watching F1 since my dear old dad plonked me down in front of a black and white telly and said "watch these cars wizz round, they're the same as your scalextric set" :smiling3: