1/32 Albatros W.4 (late) Floaty Conversion

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The only one you butchered was Zierikzee :smiling3: Well, and the extra <a> in Hartenstein, but that barely counts :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon from The Mole,

It's been a while since the last update, due to the heat, living under the roof and the sweaty optivisor. It's cooled off a bit and the work continues on the W.4. Over the past week, I've been still concentrating on top wing extension and finally got the 3 forming supports glued to the bottom half. I also drilled the outer 2 for the brass rod supports for the wings,

IMG_3874.JPG
I used the 8 clamps to make sure the bottom piece conformed to the curvature of the supports. After it dried, I added the center support and clamped it too. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it helps. Then we had this,

IMG_3876.JPG
Lousy pic, but the curve is there. The other side,

IMG_3877.JPG
It'll be fine and should work. Then I began thinking about how to make a radiator to fit the contour in the wing. I dug out the etch stash and the first 'used' set I found was just the ticket,

IMG_3875.JPGThe 2 pieces above the etch are the pieces I cut off of the wing flappies to correct them. With some sanding and cutting, they should be what I needed. Does anyone recognize the 2 etch pieces? The one on the right is not correct, but will be on the bottom side of the wing and not really seen. In between this, I did a check how the wings would fit onto the center piece,

IMG_3879.JPG

Here's where I learned I can't drill straight worth a damn, but the holes all lined up and with a bit of fiddling, they fit good. It was back to working on the rad, but something was bugging me about the center piece the whole time I was cutting out the etch covers. Interior support was sorely lacking and it needed to be strengthened up so the wings wouldn't droop. Dug out some 2.5mm and 3mm iron T-Beams (Ok, plastic) for the job. For some reason the TET wasn't holding them in place and the ends popped open every time you picked it up,

IMG_3881.JPG
I broke out the CA and slobbered it all over the sides and ends. It's holding together so far and is pretty sturdy/stable too. On to the Rad,

IMG_3882.JPGAfter adding a mounting bracket on the 4 corners, the rad slips into place and it looks pretty darn good for government work. But now, how will the top sheet fit over it. I was worried the rad was too thin or maybe too thick for the wing. But,

IMG_3883.JPG
It seems the fit is good and made me happy. The front still needs to be glued and formed over the frame work. There may be a little touch up/sanding needed, but it looks like an airfoil rad in a wing to my eyes. The filler cap unit will be added last. Needing a change of pace and with cooler temps, I went on with shortening up the rear wing pieces. Lots of sawing, scraping, sanding and cussing gave me these,

IMG_3885.JPG
As a breather, I assembled the DBIII engine mount too...The rear wing, with flappy isn't 100% correct, if you compare mine to the drawing. I couldn't extend the outer edges of the flappy to be rounder to the wing. There is still some fine tuning on the wing fronts to thin them a tick more and then I can rib them to give them the proper detail...Slowly, we are getting somewhere.......

It's off for a little vacation tomorrow at 1300. 3 or 4 days up at the lake in Thüringen with my buddy Heinz. Boat driving, grilling and chilling, with a few cold ones thrown in too!!! Maybe swimming if the water temp has gone up. Two weeks ago, it was 19° C and that's too cold for these old bones...

Thanks again for looking in and all C, C and abuse welcome...Take care and remember, "Kein Bier vor Vier"!!!...

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm impressed with that Allan. Well thought out and the end results seem fine. Have a nice break.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thought I heard school chairs shuffling in the distant yonder and decided to investigate...blood everywhere...chopping slicing...the glint of a cleavers edge. You've already started the cutting process Allan. Don't know how you do it with the cleaver but very neat and well planned. Making a plane float I see even got the rabble to pose in pyjamas. Going to rummage for my old Fruit of the looms and join in.
I'll blend in by the time you get back

Cheers,
Wabble

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up with this Allen......wowzer Sir!! You have been a busy boy. Loving the wing mods so far. And an excellent fit on the "rads" (not wheels) in the wing. I'm curious as to how your leading edge radius is going to form up, it looks pretty tight to me.....might try softening the plastic when the time comes to form it around that rod. A little stress relief might be helpful. ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very interesting and nicely built :smiling3:

Maybe swimming if the water temp has gone up. Two weeks ago, it was 19° C and that's too cold for these old bones...
As I bored you all with beach pictures earlier, I’ll add that 19° is positively warm compared to the temperature of the sea around here — 16° today, said a site I just checked.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi all,

Sorry for the late replies, but a heat wave has knocked my socks off and it's too hot to do anything. The R&R was OK as was the weather, but again, we could only go boating on Saturday. It got way too hot to even attempt boating on Sunday...

I'm impressed with that Allan. Well thought out and the end results seem fine. Have a nice break.
Thanks Jim! I just hope it works out in the end. The break was nice too...

Thought I heard school chairs shuffling in the distant yonder and decided to investigate...blood everywhere...chopping slicing...the glint of a cleavers edge. You've already started the cutting process Allan. Don't know how you do it with the cleaver but very neat and well planned. Making a plane float I see even got the rabble to pose in pyjamas. Going to rummage for my old Fruit of the looms and join in.
I'll blend in by the time you get back

Cheers,
Wabble
Great to see you Richard and a late congrats to you too, my friend. I hope to get some more dicing and slicing going, but right now I feel like I'm living in the house next door to you. Over 30° and the humidity is murder. Fan doesn't help and wearing the optivisor is impossible at the moment. More silly pics will follow too Wabble...

Just caught up with this Allen......wowzer Sir!! You have been a busy boy. Loving the wing mods so far. And an excellent fit on the "rads" (not wheels) in the wing. I'm curious as to how your leading edge radius is going to form up, it looks pretty tight to me.....might try softening the plastic when the time comes to form it around that rod. A little stress relief might be helpful. ;)
Thanks Buddy! The top sheet is 0.13mm and I have rolled it to form it. Heat would only melt it through. I have an idea to get the front curve to match the outer wings. The biggest prob is getting the sheet glued to all the under frame mounts at the same time and it holding. Oh, the joys of scratchy...

Very interesting and nicely built :smiling3:

As I bored you all with beach pictures earlier, I’ll add that 19° is positively warm compared to the temperature of the sea around here — 16° today, said a site I just checked.
Not boring at all Jakko! Up in Thüringen, the water temp hit a high of 21.8° over the weekend. Of course the ocean takes a bit longer to warm up. In late July, it should be just right for diving in to cool off...Without having a heart attack...

Have a great time mate have a few cold ones for me.
I tried Bro, and the whole weekend, I ended up drinking 4 Seidlas of Pils. I had some serious gastric disturbances in the intestines, so I had to be careful I didn't explode!!! A good time was had though...

My friend Heinz has a place at a campground on the Hohewarte-Stausee, in Thüringen. It was dammed up in the 30's and is used to produce electricity for the region. It's owner is the Swedish energy concern Wattenfall, who can raise or lower the water level as needed to produce electricity. Right now it is at the max level and some of the camping ground is under water,

20230617_135518.jpg
Normally, one can pitch a tent or place a camper, where the grass in the water is. The road is in the foreground and the picnic table is in the water too! A pic of the camp ground (Droschgau) where we are, taken from the boat,

20230617_150016.jpg
It's on a peninsula and the sea curves around it (Left), then behind the tall trees on the right. There are various camp grounds on the sea and lots of tourists too. The Vikings are cruising around here too, looking to pillage and create havoc,

20230617_175202.jpg
Actually it's a day tour boat that cruises about the sea and is like a floating party. Drinks and music on board and they stop in a cove and have a BBQ for lunch. We have all the luxuries and Heinz produces his own electricity through a solar panel unit on the roof. Up on the sea, you need to keep things running like the fridge, coffee machine and of course, most importantly,

20230618_125704.jpg
The beer cooler!!! The stove is gas and is very rarely used because grilling is so much better...

Ok, enough waffle!!! I only hope the temps drop and I can get back to playing with the Albatros and the dio for the Halberstadt...

Have a great week and stay cool if you can...

Pros
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening all,

Yea, just when I thought the head was clear and work could resume, real life threw some more BS at me. The mojo was flying, but once again, the brain was dead. After 4 days at the lake last weekend, I finally got the melon cleared out and life is back to normal, or I can only hope so.......Some retail therapy, with a big fart, also helped, But now the heat is back and making life miserable to work at the table (over 30° C every day). I can't win...............

I am really sorry I haven't kept up with all the great builds going on, so I have a bunch of work ahead of me. There are two things that that were most important on here and I apologize for not commenting further on them.

1. It was great that to see that Noah Garry had his OP and is on his way to a speedy recovery and I do wish you all the best Buddy...Please take care of your self and no running around naked in the garden celebrating, as it's still Winter outside!!!...

2. My good friend Mr. Smiff hasn't hacked up any more cute little Yorkies to make pudding for his Sunday dinners. Thank you Sir and I also see you are into yet another wing thingy build........There's no hope Andy!!!

I'll give Andrew, the washer, my best later on this evening, along with some others on here. Still can't believe Olderthanme glued his road wheels on, upside down either..........

I know you have all been bored here on the Mole waiting for an update. I have done some more on this, but didn't take any pics. So, before the waffle gets too deep, I will leave you with a little entertainment to keep you amused. The usual Rabble doing their best rendition of the old song "Walk Like An Egyptian"........................

IMG_3857.JPG
You know who you are, so I won't put your names here!!! I also heard, The Bangles have hired a lawyer to sue for damages too............

Prost and lotsa ketchup to do
Allen

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Evening all,

Yea, just when I thought the head was clear and work could resume, real life threw some more BS at me. The mojo was flying, but once again, the brain was dead. After 4 days at the lake last weekend, I finally got the melon cleared out and life is back to normal, or I can only hope so.......Some retail therapy, with a big fart, also helped, But now the heat is back and making life miserable to work at the table (over 30° C every day). I can't win...............

I am really sorry I haven't kept up with all the great builds going on, so I have a bunch of work ahead of me. There are two things that that were most important on here and I apologize for not commenting further on them.

1. It was great that to see that Noah Garry had his OP and is on his way to a speedy recovery and I do wish you all the best Buddy...Please take care of your self and no running around naked in the garden celebrating, as it's still Winter outside!!!...

2. My good friend Mr. Smiff hasn't hacked up any more cute little Yorkies to make pudding for his Sunday dinners. Thank you Sir and I also see you are into yet another wing thingy build........There's no hope Andy!!!

I'll give Andrew, the washer, my best later on this evening, along with some others on here. Still can't believe Olderthanme glued his road wheels on, upside down either..........

I know you have all been bored here on the Mole waiting for an update. I have done some more on this, but didn't take any pics. So, before the waffle gets too deep, I will leave you with a little entertainment to keep you amused. The usual Rabble doing their best rendition of the old song "Walk Like An Egyptian"........................

View attachment 488816
You know who you are, so I won't put your names here!!! I also heard, The Bangles have hired a lawyer to sue for damages too............

Prost and lotsa ketchup to do
Allen
Oh i say hello sailor.Look more camp then a row of pink tents.
Rich

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ooh are ya,ooh are ya?!...
... That Golden Riveit must be there somewhere?!!;):thumb2:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Glad you are back on the saddle with your good humored posts. I was feeling sthg was missing during my roaming through the forum.:smiling:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Good to see you're still the same Allen, but what hit you to make such a conversion like this:smiling5::tongue-out3:

Just kidding, looking good mate!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
At's right......smacked upside the kopffmeister! :tears-of-joy: but wonderful progress in the "Egyptian Boogie":tongue-out3: OK Bro, Vaca is ovah und it iss time to return to the task at hand!:thumb2::thumb2:;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn all, from the 35° C apartment in hell...Too hot to breathe!!!

Good to see you sir!
Good to be back Neil. I just hope the BS stops and I can get back to doing what I love. I take it you are back on the Insel now. How was Cali???...

Oh i say hello sailor.Look more camp then a row of pink tents.
Rich
Hey buddy, you know how how it was back in 1917!!!...Or???

The wanderer returns - jolly good.
Thanks Jim. It's been a rough time on the mental side lately, but the time at the lake really helped out. Now it's time to get building again my friend...

Ooh are ya,ooh are ya?!...
... That Golden Riveit must be there somewher e?!!;):thumb2:
Uhhhh, Mr. Smiff............Whatchu talking about Buddy??? You lost me here Andy and what's a riveit???...Devonish???...

Glad you are back on the saddle with your good humored posts. I was feeling sthg was missing during my roaming through the forum.:smiling:
Thanks Andrea. I always believed that if you lose your sense of humor, you have lost everything...Oh, and that nice picture of your clean workspace (even with the full trash can) isn't going to get you into Jim's TBC any time soon!!!

Good to see you're still the same Allen, but what hit you to make such a conversion like this:smiling5::tongue-out3:

Just kidding, looking good mate!
Hey Bro!!! Good to see you back and start saving your cash for October. I have gotten into this theme after building the Wingnut Wings Halberstadt and all the research involved. The Zeebrugge book I bought truly fascinated me and my dive into WWI float planes. Nobody Makes an Albatros W.4, early or late, in 1/32, so I have to make my own. I have both WNW Hansa-Brandenburg float planes now, and Lukgraph will be at the show with his kit of the Friedrichshafen FF.33L float plane. One could say it's the best of 2 worlds, besides armor!!! Wing thingy's and Floaty things, all in one...

At's right......smacked upside the kopffmeister! :tears-of-joy: but wonderful progress in the "Egyptian Boogie":tongue-out3: OK Bro, Vaca is ovah und it iss time to return to the task at hand!:thumb2::thumb2:;)
Hey my friend. It's been a long trip back to the living and I do feel 100% better. Damn heat is whooping my butt though. I have been trying to play with the Albatros and my Peggy. Needed an eye break from the Peggy though and I think I can now see straight again!!!

As I said above, I have been doing some work on this and I actually did take some pics. I just couldn't find them. The motor is very basic and did need some love to bring it up to standard. I have also been doing some painting on some things too. The kit motor's cam cover with the rocker arms had craters in each cover and no valve spring details at all. I tried to fill the craters and clean them up, but sanded off the bolt heads. I then remembered I had a piece from My WNWs kit and used it instead. It didn't have any spring detail either, so I got stupid and made my own,

IMG_3955.JPG
Used a straight pin and a length of tiny brass wire. I also painted up the gas tank, ammo holders and some motor parts too. This work only used up 1/2 a roll of paper towels in the optivisor to soak up the sweat. With a steady hand, tweezers and some CA, we ended up here,

IMG_3956.JPG
It looks the part and now needs to be painted. I have also painted up the motor mount framing and some other tidbits using AKs 3rd Gen WWI colors (no pic). With the other half of the roll of paper towels for the optivisor, I went on to carve the flappies into the lower wings. This was a distinct feature on the Late W.4's, for better maneuverability in the air. First, I sanded off the curved ribbing ends and then carefully sawed 1.1 cm into the wing with the JLC blade (black mark),

IMG_3983.JPG
Then it was scribing the top sides with the back of a blade, but not all the way through the wing. The flappies won't be workable on this. I then sawed a few mms into the wing from the outsides to give it definition of being a separate piece. I flipped them over and scribed the underside. The flappies need the 3 hinges on each and then I can begin assembly of the whole bottom wing. Once that's done, I can add the ribbing to it....

It's really too hot and I'm not sure how my adhesives will work in the heat. I hope I can do more soon. Thanks for looking in and try to stay cool! I may have to blow some cash and get a portable A/C unit to keep me alive.........Now ketchup, ketchup, ketchup!!!

Prost
Allen

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never needed or wanted AC in house or autos till moving to Atlanta, GA in 1990. Both house and two cars had AC there, an absolute must. Wouldn't be w/o now. Remember my youth when 80F was considered HOT.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ha!.... No Allen,not some Devonish slang.... Just me with finger trouble on the phone!
It was just "Rivet",but somehow it got changed :flushed:....
The hunt for the "Golden Rivet" is a Royal Navy jibe,which I can't really explain thoroughly on here!!;)