1/32 PCM Tempest V

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst waiting to re-mask the markings applied so far and start spraying the underside I've started tackling some of the bit 'n' bobs to be added later.

First up the exhausts.

There's a lot of ways of doing these, but please don't just paint them rust coloured! I found a reference photo of a WW2 warbird flying with WW2 standard fuel. It's a Merlin engined Spitfire, but the principle is the same. The photo was lifted from "another place" and was posted by a chap called Daniel Cox, to whom all credit is due. He knows a thing or ten about Spitfires by the way.

That's the sort of look I've attempted to achieve on my exhausts.

So far I've painted them in a metallic black. I then dry brushed a red/brown colour over all the subs. Next I dry brushed a white mixed with a touch of blue onto the stubs, trying to avoid the open ends. Finally I dry brushed some more (similar) red/brown onto the ends.

I'm quite pleased but not 100% happy. I will have another, fresh, look tomorrow and maybe muck about a bit more!

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
That looks realistic to me Steve.Airfix instructions now tell you to paint exhausts with a mix of gunmetal and bronze.Ive tried it and it's better than just using rust colour but still not ideal.Producing a look of metal that's been discoloured by heat by using paint is a real art.Something I can't do yet.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That looks realistic to me Steve.Airfix instructions now tell you to paint exhausts with a mix of gunmetal and bronze.Ive tried it and it's better than just using rust colour but still not ideal.Producing a look of metal that's been discoloured by heat by using paint is a real art.Something I can't do yet.
Glad you like them Dave! I'm just thinking I might try and make the metallic bits more coppery or bronzy and less brown. I might make a right Horlicks of it though :smiling3:

Luftwaffe exhausts are easier as they were supposed to paint them black with something similar to the old stove black. Whether they always did it or not is another question.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Two for the price of one today.

I masked the stripes etc and have managed to get the Medium Sea Grey on the underside.

Some shading which will tone down a bit with the varnish(es). I don't like anything too radical as I just don't see it in the real thing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think your stacks look pretty good as well. As you have already said a bit more copper brass dry brushed might just seal the deal. One thing I noticed that they are fairly uniform whereas the ones on the photo are more unique, more random. A bit of soot on t'ends in the weathering stage maybe?

Painting metal to look right is also a thing that evades me too. I tend to go for a copper brass mix and loads of soot lol

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good point Ian. It is always helpful to get some unbiased input, it's one of the things I like about this place. I can see exactly what you mean now I'm looking for it. I don't want to do a load of soot but I might adjust the "lead", that is light coloured, staining a little. I'll have to get a smaller brush out! The individual exhaust stubs are not very big, even in this scale :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I had a fit when i found the stubs on my resent Spit where individual stubs!!! LOL they're not very big are they.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking really good is this Steve, and nicely explained with great pickies along the way...Thanks.

Ron

P

Polux

Looking very good so far Steve!

Excellent job!

For the exhaust... can try and oil wash and a finally pigment dry brush for the 'shine/light' effect. Think they look so matt, need life!! It's just an opinion! :eek:

Polux

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Think they look so matt, need life!! It's just an opinion! :eek:Polux
Thanks Polux, it's a welcome opinion! I was thinking something similar. I'm always happy to have a view from a fresh pair of eyes, I've been looking at the damned thing for weeks!

I'm going to apply a bit of "antique bronze" very subtly which should brighten them up a bit.

I've got plenty of time before I fit them, which may not be a good thing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

\ said:
I'm going to apply a bit of "antique bronze" very subtly which should brighten them up a bit.
This seems a great and fantastic idea Steve, I wish to see the finally result!!

Good luck ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've masked the Ocean Grey with Blu-Tac and tape to spray the Dark Green.

This is not the system where the Blu-Tac is used to raise the mask to give a feathered edge. My aircraft clearly has its hard, factory applied, demarcations and there is considerable evidence to suggest that Hawker used masks on the full scale version.

A bit of shading this evening and I'll remove the masking to reveal......heaven knows what!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
Thanks Polux, it's a welcome opinion! I was thinking something similar. I'm always happy to have a view from a fresh pair of eyes, I've been looking at the damned thing for weeks!I'm going to apply a bit of "antique bronze" very subtly which should brighten them up a bit.

I've got plenty of time before I fit them, which may not be a good thing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Yes had the same thing with the bezel on the Lysander motor it looked dead after matt varnish. Gave it a thin coat of satin & it came alive but without looking obvious.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I cracked and took off the masking.

It's obviously a bit pristine but I'm fairly pleased with it so far!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks good from here Steve.

Ian M