1/32 Tamiya Mustang

T

treyzx10r

Jim thats a very clean looking build ,wish I had the room to work in that scale the detail is great!Great job on the engine as well, looking forward to more pics!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
very nice, a very well painted pilot...

I tend not to include pilots, never been good at painting them unlike you and I prefer to see the cockpit detail.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats a nicely detailed Mustang Jim.

Its gonna be a beaut when its finished.

Tony.

B

beav1013

thanks guys. the wife is away this weekend so hopefully i can get some good progress made.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Jim . Some very nice detail. Looking forward to seeing this build progress.

Vaughan.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
So Jim, the wife is away and i bet there's more sprues out of the box than normal. Looking good bud.

Have fun, John

B

beav1013

here's some updates

hey guys. been working on the mustang off and on. made some good progress last weekend and am finally putting her together. i'm having some problems with my flaps/ailerons on the wings. the outer ones aren't staying in position and the left main flap isn't staying level, or when i push it all the way down it goes up slightly. i think something went wrong with the assembly on the inside when i put the fuselage on the wings. not sure how i feel about it. i'm trying to fix the aileron problem by taking some plastic shavings and gluing them between the aileron and the wing to try and increase the pressure. hopefully this helps. if i can't get them to stay where i leave them, i might glue them horizontal. not sure yet...

i did some touch ups to the pilot. i think he looks a lot better. got some shadows and better weathering on him.

i'm also a bit baffled with the cowling pieces that go over the engine. they're not exactly meeting 100%, so there's slight gaps between the pieces. i've been putting them on the model and taping them tight over it to try and get them to conform all the way. it's better but not perfect.

still got some work to do on her...

View attachment 41515

View attachment 41516

View attachment 41517

View attachment 41518

View attachment 41519

DSCN3837.jpg

DSCN3831.jpg

DSCN3832.jpg

DSCN3833.jpg

DSCN3834.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Jim Not sure how to help you with the ailerons but despite that the model is coming on fine great detail there. Don't the cowling parts have small magnetic discs to help them stay in place?

vaughan

B

beav1013

thanks vaughan. there are magnets that keep the cowling pieces in place. but there's a little wiggle room between the pieces. it's really not a big deal, i'm just hoping it doesn't draw attention when i paint it the bare metal.

we'll see how she goes... i checked this morning before coming to work and the ailerons are a bit more snug now that i added the shavings. i'm hoping the added layers of paint will make it even more snug.

the left flap though is still not staying where i leave it. really bothering me. hopefully i come up with something cause i can't open it up to look at it. we'll see.

T

treyzx10r

Jim its looking great,I'm sure you 'll get the flaps/ailerons ironed out

B

beav1013

thanks trey. i've been thinking about it all day at work, trying to think of what i can do on that flap... driving me nuts.

B

beav1013

all taped up

and ready for painting. i got fed up with the flaps and glued them horizontal. the tail flaps were doing the same thing but were the worst. it was either move them all or horizontal. what can you do?

View attachment 41559

DSCN3838.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Jim looks great ,nice that you're sticking with it through the frustrating bits! I've lost sleep over less whats wrong with me?

B

beav1013

thanks trey. i really was bummed about the flaps not staying as that would've been a great feature. i followed the instructions verbatum, and this was the first time i used photo etched parts, so i'm not sure if i did something wrong. i am going to leave the tail rudder moveable though, so that's nice...

with the amount of time, money and effort we put into these things, i don't think it's a bad thing to get wrapped up in them. i haven't lost sleep over mine yet, unless you count staying up until the very late hours of the night working on them. but that's all part of the fun.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great jim, cant wait to see it in the paint, cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Can't wait to see the Alclad go down Jim.

Vaughan

B

beav1013

alclad down

got the alclad down. might do some touch ups. the areas around the machine gun panels seems a little off. but overall i think it came out great. i'm going to do some panel highlights with slightly altered colors to get them to stand out a little. i used the polished aluminum alclad (105 i think). i mixed airframe aluminum and some steel for the panels around the exhausts. i'll probably do some duraluminum and aluminum on the highlight panels.

it's getting there. i'm nervous about doing the red. the moving panels around the engine aren't instilling much confidence in me that i'll get the lines clean. we'll see how she goes.

View attachment 41692

View attachment 41693

View attachment 41694

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3843.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg