1/32 Tamiya Mustang

B

beav1013

thanks trey. first time for alclad. it's a process but it looks awesome.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Jim you've got a very nice finish on the Alclad.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job on the Alclad.

FYI the wings on P-51s were not left in a natural metal finish.

The forward 40% of the wing was sprayed with zinc chromate primer. This was followed by enough coats of 'Gray Surfacer' No.53N5 to cover all irregularities. Skin butt joints were then filled with Red Vellunite glazing putty No. 58485. The entire surface was then sanded down and sprayed with one coat of camouflage enamel. When camouflage was deleted, the wing was sprayed with aluminum lacquer. This will still give a 'silver' finish but looks duller than the bare metal skins in other areas of the air frame.

Cheers

Steve

B

beav1013

good to know steve. it's always interesting to see what they did back in the day.

i remember seeing something on the military channel before that they stopped painting the mustangs and left them bare metal because they could go (if memory serves) about 10 mph faster without all the paint.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They deleted camouflage since it was no longer considered necessary,same for bombers late in the war. The weight penalty was minimal (about 30Kg for a B-17 IIRC) but it saved time in production and should have reduced drag slightly.

The Mustang wings were primed,puttied,sanded and finally sprayed with an aluminium laquer to give a smooth laminar type airflow over the wing. Spitfire wings,at least the front portion,were treated in a similar way though the retained a camouflage finish. There is anecdotal evidence from maintenance crews that at least some Mustangs were de-puttied and returned to natural metal wings in theatre but that is not how they were supposed to be and certainly not how they left the factory. I don't consider myself an expert on USAAF aircraft (by a long chalk!) but scanning the images I do have,I can't see much evidence for natural metal wings.

Cheers

Steve

B

beav1013

professor stona in the house!

i was using these pics as reference. i don't doubt what you're saying at all, but these pics look natural to me.

i really think it makes all the rivets and personality of the plane pop out at you on the model as well. i'm not planning on doing my standard wash on this one. i'm going to make this a clean bird.

View attachment 41698

View attachment 41699

P-51D_Blondie.jpg

blondie 2.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Go for it chap,I'm the last person to tell anyone how to build their model! I was just showing how they were supposed to be finished at the time. Anything was possible,there was a war on after all.

I do think the wing visible in the first of the two pictures you posted is painted and not NMF. It is much 'greyer' (it's hard to put these things into words) and less shiney than the rest of the visible airframe. Look at the contrast with the natural metal of the wing fillet.

Here's a nice piccy clearly showing the smooth finish on the wing and the difference from the natural metal fuselage. It should still show though I've reduced the resolution somewhat for web posting.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
B

beav1013

i see what you're saying. that wing looks pretty flat and doesn't appear to have any rivets or panels lines exposed. shame it's in b&w, that's a great shot.