1/35 Bronco Bishop SPG - forum choice

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Definitely some complex parts in this one & odd build sequences in the instructions Dave, but your doing well all the same.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just doesn't seem to run out of bits to add to this one. I suspect it will be worth it when the paint goes on.
Liking this one Dave. Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice sunny morning here, listening to the wood pigeons cooing & wooing.................
I fitted the rear engine doors - rather puzzled. as I can't see any hinges in the instructions - there's a hole, but nowhere in the assembly can I find anything to put in it!
DSCF0563.JPG

I decided to look at how MiniArt do this on their Valentine, and found something odd......................
MiniArt Valentine Instructions
miniart.jpg
If you look at the Bronco Instructions for the same assembly:
DSCF0564.JPG
The Bronco has a few more parts, but look at the part numbers - they're so similar, it can't be a coincidence!
According to Scalemates, there's no connection between Bronco & MiniArt, but...........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Upper deck primed & basecoated................................
DSCF0565.JPG
I've still to add the exhaust heat shield & tools, but that part is finished. The Gun & tower can just about be finished as a separate assembly. If I thought some of the hull was tricky & overengineered, then the gun is at a new level!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After almost a week, I'm back to the bench. I've had a bad back, which has meant that I have spent a lot of time lying down. It's now just very stiff, but I can at least sit properly.
I've added the tracks & united the upper & lower hull.........................
DSCF0569.JPGDSCF0570.JPG
I'm not going to add the top track runs, they will be hidden by the sand shields. The individual track links aren't particularly difficult, just annoyingly fiddly and boring, so no point in spending time on something that won't be seen
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome back Dave...glad to hear you are doing better. Good call on the tracks and nice progress on this unusual piece.
Rick H.

First Name
Andy
Looking good Dave, good idea with the tracks, might do that with the T90 as the shields on it will also hide the top run and it will save a bit of fiddling.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Look complex to me Dave, smart move with those tracks.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry to hear you've been out of action Dave. Build is looking good though.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave

Just caught up on this. It's looking very nicely done and I can't blame you for not doing the tracks.

Also sorry to hear about the back. I suffer with mine too sometimes, so you have my utmost sympathy.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
On to the gun...............................
A really overcomplicated assembly, not helped by one actual part bearing no resemblance to the drawing - I hunted on all the sprues, to find a part that resembled this, but no. This is 17 parts ( I've omitted two tiny PE parts )
DSCF0573.JPG
I can understand making the breech able to be assembled open/shut, but Bronco would have you make it as a working part, opened by the breech lever - no way!
The mounting for the gun is one of two options. The instructions don't say if they are late, or early, or apply to a particular theatre - I'm going to look, and see if one is easier to make than the other.
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Maybe they both outsourced to the same tech writer? Looks very complex & well built anyhow. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Hope your back is fully better.
That is a complex kit with instructions that could be better. Where you're at now is looking great. The detail really shows up with the paint.
Jim

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Dave,
Ref similar parts and instructions, I have a Tamiya Bradley and Academy Bradley same parts and part numbers.
You say you seem to be doing a lot for what looks like little return - we can see it.
Cheers,
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ref similar parts and instructions, I have a Tamiya Bradley and Academy Bradley same parts and part numbers.
Academy got their start in life by straight up copying Tamiya kits without asking for permission :smiling3: Not sure what the deal is with this Bronco kit, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Back to the Bishop ( I'm blogging a bust on another forum ). Again, a lot of effort seems to bring small advances...............
DSCF0594.JPG
Mount & sight parts - all individual asssemblies - there are still some smaller (!!) bits to add, and PE........................
I have however drawn the line at certain parts - OK, it was always going to be the case with some PE, but some of the plastic parts?
DSCF0596.JPG
Against a standard 10A Scalpel blade - I can barely see them in real life, and they won't be missed from the sight assembly deep inside the housing. This is turning into a marathon assembly!!
Dave

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Dave, That is small, do they really think we need bits that small?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I feel sorry for the die tool maker! I'm just going to ignore those tiny parts..................
Dave

First Name
Andy
There are a couple of bits on the T90 that are that small, only one got fitted as the carpet monster ate the other one, not that you would notice anyway.

Andy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, I was warned once about the tiny parts and count on the Valentine and Bishop. If the part can't be seen from any angle viewed I'd leave it off as long as it's not holding something together.

Cheers,
Richard