1/35 Crab Boat

C

CDW

Well i thought i'd take a weeks break from the SIG build "Prometheus" and start another project.

It's going to be a slab-sided, flat keeled Crab Boat (not unlike some on Discoverys "Deadliest Catch"

It's not based on any particular boat although a lot of the size, shape and eventual looks of the model will be in line with a couple. No drawn plans either, just picturing it in my head and going for it:smiling3:

It's ended up (1/35 scale so i can add improvised MiniArt and MB figures) at 44 inches long by 10 inches wide and the height will be determined by ariels, lights and radar etc but from the keel to the roof of the main wheel house will be about 14 inches (ish)

Didn't take any photo's untill now as i "really got into it" and forgot ....doh!

anyway ... progress so far .... it's balsa on a ply base (for a bit of strength)

View attachment 35177View attachment 35178View attachment 35179View attachment 35180

Looking forward to the rest of the body build .... not looking forward to making 30 odd 2x2 inch crab cages and rolling up 60 odd rope "shots" with attached floats :smiling3: :smiling3:

will add to the piccies as i go along if people are interested.

View attachment 39644

View attachment 39645

View attachment 39646

View attachment 39647

Photo0019.jpg

Photo0021.jpg

Photo0024.jpg

Photo0025.jpg

C

CDW

This is going to be a static model.

I do have some acoms radio gear knocking around so maybe i'll have a bash at another model later and fiberglass the hull so i can get it on the water.

going to complete the basis of the deck today, then it's off on monday to the model shop for some more balsa (sunday is a day off for some wreck fishing in the Firth :smiling3: ) then i'll attempt to complete the wheelhouse, some deck sheds, sorting trays and other deck items.

C

CDW

Got the hull trimmed, sanded and initially painted.... theres a few areas that need going over again and a few joins that have opened up that need filled ... but overall i'm happy with the look of it.

View attachment 35775

The wheelhouse is coming along nicely, have added some simple detailing inside on both decks and have installed LED lighting to the two floors and the radar structure.

View attachment 35776View attachment 35778View attachment 35777

started on some deck items, this will be the "bait shed" filled with boxes and a few tables etc.

View attachment 35779

In process at the mo is the front mast assembly (complete with more LEDs) .... just got to do some research on how they're strengthened and held fast on the boat.

View attachment 40165

View attachment 40166

View attachment 40167

View attachment 40168

View attachment 40169

Photo0034.jpg

Photo0046.jpg

Photo0039.jpg

Photo0040.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Way to go Colin!.

Terrific stuff.....Just pictures in your head, sounds just like me!lol

Best of all, no one can say that's not right, this shouldn't be there, 'cos it's your boat and totally unique.

Nice one...How'd the fishing go, by the way?

Ron

C

CDW

Thanks Ron :smiling3:

It's coming on a a faster rate than i expected to be honest, seems "plans & drawings" aren't for me regarding scratch building, i feel comfortable working off the top of my head like this.

Have some of the little bits ready in the pipe lines to add for detailing .... for example ...some large hard "cotton balls" for the side of the boat float things(?called?) and some fake oval(ish) pearls from a cheap necklace\bangle set for the crab-pot floats. the crab pots are to be made from wire fencing pieces ... that way i can tie them together with twine to give them a little more authenticity (hopefully) the netting will be made from some orange fishnet tights i found in a pound shop (yep there were weird looks when i bought them too:smiling3:)

As for the fishing, we got some late season mackerel, some coley and cod ... the weather turned nasty and 4-5 foot swells in a 25ft fishing boat aren't good bedfellows:smiling3: ... was a bit choppy to say the least, we even had an old "seasoned" trawler fisherman adding to the bait over the side (if you know what i mean:smiling3:) because it was that rough.

Will have to wait for next year now as this was the last time out for the boat this season :sad:

C

CDW

C

CDW

Thanks chaps ....

I've not got the gas pipes in yet Ian .... breakfast will have to wait i'm afraid :smiling3:

C

CDW

\ said:
It's gonna look great when it's all lit up
I'll grab a non-flash piccie with the lights on soon, looks ok, but need a few more low level floodlights aimed at the deck in the working area.

Had a go at a crane, (balsa, film tubs, phone cable wire, soldering wire and a bit of string)

Weathered it to look like the hydraulic fluid had stained certain areas.

turned out better than i expected it would .... opinions???????

View attachment 40620

View attachment 40621

View attachment 40622

View attachment 40623

View attachment 40624

View attachment 40625

Photo0102.jpg

Photo0084.jpg

Photo0085.jpg

Photo0089.jpg

Photo0090.jpg

Photo0093.jpg

Last edited:
C

CDW

\ said:
i cant wait to see how you do the crabs Colin
I haven't thought about that yet Ian, maybe some modeling clay and wire painted dirty orange/brown ?

K

kaiyudsai

\ said:
Great work there and the crane is spot on i cant wait to see how you do the crabs Colin
Eduard does PE animals and fish..... perhaps they will do crabs as well LOL

C

CDW

\ said:
Eduard does PE animals and fish..... perhaps they will do crabs as well LOL
Unfortunately not .... looks like it's back to the wire and modeling clay idea again.

Have a lot more deck items to complete before i attempt the crab though.

Thanks for being helpful and posting anyway ... :smiling3: