1:35 CRV(T) Scimitar 2 on Salisbury Plain

B

Boldman

Hi guys long time no see :smiling3: I thought you might be interested in this build that I've just completed after 2 1/2 months of work

My aim was to build one of these:

Click here for Technical Data Sheet

This is a new vehicle introduced to Afghanistan in 2011 which is a combination of a Spartan hull with enhanced mine protection and a Scimitar turret. It also incorporates anti-IED ECM gear and of course the bar armour I cherish so much!

The challenge here is that the only Spartan kits in 1:35 are from Accurate Armour and they are of the old version, pre-LEP which upgraded the engine and added extra armour, so there was a LOT of scratch building to be done! I bought the AA Warrior bar armour in the mistaken belief that it would be usable to some extent. Sadly it wasn't directly but the resin brackets, nuts, bolts and connectors came in very useful.

So I started with this lot:

and with plans I'd created from various research sources

which turned out to be 8% overscale, and even then the side panels are a little too tall :sad:

The bar armour is constructed from LOTS of 1.5mm wide, 0.25 mm thick Evergreen strip, with 0.5mm brass rod as the vertical bars.

Now this build could not have happened had it not been for the wonderful source material from the Plain Military site, in particualr these two thread from 2012:

http://plain-military.proboards.com/thread/4962/qrl-sqn-cvr-mk-2

http://plain-military.proboards.com/thread/4925/scimitar-2-complete-walkaround-over

Superb

sets of photos showing pretty much everything I needed to see!

B

Boldman

Some more photos of the build as it grew:

(guitar string used to represenet the corrugated conduits)

(in the end I didn't put any of the stowage on the vehicle)

So my next attack of Bar armoured insanity is likely to be this:

(sourced from this thread: http://plain-military.proboards.com/thread/5450/ex-pashtun-dawn-2014-last)

ITs the BRitish version of the Buffalo MPCV. Bronco actually do a kit of the US version, which I picked up at the Southdowns model show last month:

I reckon this just looks the absolute business! You can immediately se that the kit comes with the American-style bar armour, so that would have to be replaced with the more complicated British bar armour, but I reckon I'm up for that jobbie! Okuy I'm sure there are a load of differences to the kit for the British version. Will have to start the in-depth research for that!

0ne48thtel

That's a great build the extra detailing looks excellent I don't thing the side armour looks to over sized. 5***** from me all the way

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
very nice work indeed

i dont envy you all that bar armour but i look forward to seeing how you do it

B

Boldman

hehe thanks, but I doubt I'll be doing the Buffalo for a while yet - I think I've had my bar armour quota for this year :D

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well its good to see your madness pay off, it's a fantastic build, I watched it on BM...patience, patience uh patience, oh alot more patience and not forgetting the bucket load of patience to go with it, 100% commitment, an outstanding effort ;)

Lee :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work do like all the added detail,

T

treyzx10r

Great stuff Andrew ,that kind of armor would drive me nuts! Very nicely done Sir!

L

Laurie

Very nice Andrew. Got the Herrick group to do my first armour so hope you do not mind me pinching ideas.

Hope mine comes up to this.

Laurie

B

Boldman

Thanks guys yes the armour did drive me a bit doolally after a while :smiling3:

I eased myself into this insane idea a couple of months earlier by starting on the Airfix 1:48 Warrior which I picked up at the Yeovilton show in February, along with the photo etch (well worth the extra IMO), along with a couple of figures adapted from the various Airfix Herrick sets, plus some resin stowage from Paul Wade (redzebra100@tiscali.co.uk) I was able to do this as well:

I also replaced the rather thick antennae with wire to give them better scale. The bar armour on this is nowhere near scale but you'd have to make it miniscule in 1:48 - the bar armour at 1:35 is made from evergreen strip 1.5mm wide 0.25mm thick and 0.5mm diam brass wire... can you imagine reducing that by 73% to get 1:48 scale??? I was impressed that AIrfix even tried it... now I want them to do a Scimitar 2 in 1:48 along with a Mastiff, Ridgeback and Husky! Hell I want someone to do one of those in 1:35 scale!!! :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work Andrew, your scratch building has come out nicely.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sorry Andrew for being late...SUPERB! lovely detailing and scratch making. A very nice quality build indeed, I like it very much.

Si:smiling3: