1/35 Meng 'Toyota Hi-lux' Libyan Technical pick up with ZPU-1 Anti Aircraft Cannon..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So After my Israeli M6 build I was at a loss as to what to build next, maybe a little bit of burn out.....so upon sifting through the stash I spotted a quick mojo booster....the Meng Toyota pickup truck I bought a few months ago...so I set to work with what I thought would be nothing more than a quick mojo booster....famous last words an 'all....

61C1Bt-Cr6L._AC_SL1091_.jpg

The Pickup is built, painted and partially weathered already, pictures to follow,
so for now here's a few pics of the ZPU..
(I may end up removing the bracket 'where the sight is fitted', I left it too close to a heat source whilst attempting to dry the paint, and it ended up warped)

IMG_7517.jpg
IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interesting one Chris,
I reckon that sight arm can be persuaded to get back into position with a dab of super glue eh?! ;)
I saw this kit a while back in my LHS and was sorely tempted,but as it's not really my genre I didn't take the plunge..... I look forward to seeing the whole thing :smiling3:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I might have a go at straightening the bent bit Andy, although I have found a picture of an Israeli version of this cannon with no sight unit, hmmmmm,
any how a few pics of the actual Pickup.
Not sure about actually using the base it's on unless I can come up with a realistic way way to change it from a european farm wall to a more 'middle' eastern one..... watch this space... need to finish of a couple of things and then contemplate if I add a figure or two... or leave it as it is... hmmm decisions.. decisions!!

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7529.jpg

Last edited:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Anybody know what 'to victory' would look like in arabic? ... I've got the urge to freehand some arabic quotes on the sides to break up the overall flatness of the body.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's seriously nice weathering Chris. really does look good.
Use Google translate I just tried and the results will test your freehand

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I might have a go at straightening the bent bit
TBH, I would probably cut them off and replace them by plastic rod after this kind of damage.

Anybody know what 'to victory' would look like in arabic?
Like the others said, use Google Translate: إلى النصر. However, I would start by figuring out what slogans, if any, people actually painted on vehicles like these.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's brilliant!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
WOW thanks for sharing ,people ask what inspires ,I always think if it makes me think wow then ive been inspired ,not to copy or build one just to bash on with what I'm doing thanks for showing. Dave

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yes, yes, lovely work Chris! Superb detailing and weathering and the dio base sets it off beautifully. Top drawer stuff.

It brought back memories of the one I did in 1/16 RC, mine was a African countries rebal version, nowhere as good as yours.

Attachments

• P1014071.JPG
    P1014071.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P1014075.JPG
    P1014075.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P1014077.JPG
    P1014077.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 4

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Anybody know what 'to victory' would look like in arabic? ... I've got the urge to freehand some arabic quotes on the sides to break up the overall flatness of the body.

you might not have to do it in arabic :smiling5:

i follow a motoring channel on youtube called vinwiki and funny enough this vid was on only this week

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely work Chris. I'd mount the gun on a skid that can be bolted to the bed rather than depend on the gate. Untrained gunners likely use tracer and shell hits rather than open sights for guidance. Paint should do the trick on the base.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Lovely work Chris. I'd mount the gun on a skid that can be bolted to the bed rather than depend on the gate. Untrained gunners likely use tracer and shell hits rather than open sights for guidance. Paint should do the trick on the base.
Any pics of said 'skid', i did think of building a base for the gun to sit on, but haven't given it much more than a passing thought..

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks for all the like and comments folks,
gonna hopefully finish of a few things on this during the week..

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Something simple, maybe angle iron frame you could bolt to the bed with some eyebolts or hooks to attach a cable to move it out of a failed truck into another. Nothing real fancy, maybe some stand-offs to allow firing to the side over the bed sides.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the idea @minitnkr, gonna have a ponder about it.. :thumb2:

been back to the bench today, just to start the finishing bits.... had a play with a bit of 'dust'..and came up with an idea for fastening the flag down..

I'm not sure the 'dusty' side windows portray a half opened window properly, maybe I need to attempt to somehow add some streaks......

Before.
IMG_7530.jpg

After...
IMG_7535.jpg

Last edited: