1/35 Mercedes Maultier

A

AJay

Hey guys, thought I'd start a build blog for my Maultier project. It's only my second vehicle build, the first being my Panther which is also just a

WIP right now.

View attachment 31933

I was amazed at the amount of parts in the box, and maybe even a little daunted by the prospect of such a complicated build (for me that is....). However, it's a beautful kit with plenty of detail - highly recommended going on limited experience.

View attachment 31934

I began with the engine - all pretty straight foward and a jolly nice engine it is, too. It was gagging for super detailing of course, but I decided to leave that for another build in the future.

View attachment 31935

View attachment 31936

The engine was painted grey (as per instructions) and then I weathered it to make it appear well-used, oily and grimey. Oh, I also rusted the exhaust manifold, down pipes, etc. I won't be able to reach these later, so best do them now and fit them onto the painted chasis.

View attachment 31937

View attachment 31938

View attachment 31939

View attachment 31940

After the weathering, you can see the outcome of my efforts. I experimented with artist pastels as I didn't want to spend out on Mig pigments at this stage, bearing in mind I need a new airbrush and other equipment first.

Next: the chassis - there's a lot of parts!!!

View attachment 36905

View attachment 36906

View attachment 36907

View attachment 36908

View attachment 36909

View attachment 36910

View attachment 36911

View attachment 36912

Model.jpg

MB Maultier (Mule).jpg

engine 3.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

My maultier engine.jpg

My maultier engine 2.jpg

Maultier exhausts.jpg

My maultier engine 3.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking good so far bud keep it up and your right about how many parts there are some spares I should imagine Geegad

P

Polux

Hi! What an interesting kit!!

I'm sure you will do an excellent work here!!

Polux

A

AJay

Thanks, guys. It's really enjoyable now I'm passed the chassis building.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one AJ.

I must say that engine looks real good. The rust effect is also very life like. Might I ask what you used to do it with?

Ian M

A

AJay

Thanks, Ian. It was very easy.

1) I painted the manifold with an enamel rust colour as a base coat.

2) I then mixed up some brown acrylic paint and used a craft knife to scrape off artist pastels (I used an orangey brown and a darker brown) into the acrylic mix.

3) I stirred it all up into a 'gooey' mix, and then applied onto the still damp enamel painted manifold. The acrylic acts like a fixative for the pastel and dries solid onto the enamel undercoat.

4) You can then use a cotton bud to blend it all. I

t's a very forgiving method and the outcome realistic. Best of all, it's cheap! Artist pastels will give you all the colours you need for weathering at a fraction of the cost of pigments.... as far as I can see so far. Time will tell.

1) As for the engine, I used Vellejo grey as a base coat.

2) When that was dry I added a wash of black and burnt umber acrylics.

3) While still wet, I added some black and grey pastel powders to the wet acrylic paint, left it to begin to dry, and then again used a cotton bud to work it all in, adding more pastel colours where needed (such as the browns for the rust).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
A

AJay

Some progress on the Maultier last week. I wasn't happy with the Vallejo Air dark yellow, as to my eyes, it looked too yellow. So, I added some some panzer olive and white to the mix. I think it looks much better and replicates a weathered, sun-faded version of the darker yellow.

I also added the weathered engine and exhaust (which was tricky). The cylinder thingie smack-bang in the middle of the chassis is apparently an air cylinder or something, so shouldn't have been as rusty, but looks okay and won't show anyway, so is staying..... : )

I won't weather the chasis itself until I know what terrain the 'Mule' will be sitting on.

Couldn't resist trying out my pastel weathering to one of the wheels. Looking at it now, I think the weathered tyre needs more weathering actually...........(don't like the shine).

Hope you like the build so far :

View attachment 37367

View attachment 37368

My maultier WIP 2.jpg

Wheels  WIP.jpg

Last edited:
A

AJay

Thanks for asking, James. I never touched it again after the last entry. I'll take a photo for you to show where I got to.

A

AJay

38933-1-35-mercedes-maultier-dscn6870.jpg

Where it stands right now. I'm kind of disappointed with my builds right now so have stopped. Sure I'll get my inspiration back at some point.

P.S. the front wheel is held on with yellow tack for the photo ;)

View attachment 42925

DSCN6870.JPG

D

dubster72

I think that's lookinh very good Ajay - keep at it if you can coz I'd like to see how it turns out.

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alex, seems you're on a bit of a downer at the moment mate. Don't give up, just take a step back and crack a can or two.

Just keep the thing in perspective, it's only a hobby and should be fun.....

We all get the old feeling now and again and really can't be bothered modelling, but don't worry, the buzz will return!

Cheers,

Ron

J

James Q

Thats looking good though Alex, i'm sure the insperation will come soon though, as I along with the others would like to see this finished.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking real nice and the weathered wheel looks just right I would leave it at that...

And them added extra will set it off a treat

Geegad

M

mobear

you are keen this is looking awesome given me some ideas to the mixing of colour,though a rough white wash will be on most of the tanks in question

mobear