1;35 scale diorama build photos

N

noble

Hi all i've got my finger out and started my first scratch built diorama, stage 1 begins by using 1/2 inch thick MDF as a base it is cut to size and the edges are sanded smooth. I have used a pencil to draw on top of the board where i want everything is going to go, once this is done i have given the top of the board a spray with quick dry varnish, this is to make sure it is sealed to prevent it warping when the ground material is applied.

Once the varnish has dried i will use tracing paper to get an exact copy of what i have draw on the board, these will be traced onto the styro foam board iam using to build up the topography. once the styro foam board has been cut to shape i will mix up P.V.A GLUE and water and glue the styro foam board into position, i have left this for 24hrs to ensure that it is fully dried before beginning the next stage.

View attachment 19660

View attachment 19661

dio 1.jpg

dio 1a.jpg

N

noble

Stage 2 ok i have left the syro foam board to dry for 24hrs now to the ground work, for this iam using celluclay this is a paper mache product from the states i have mixed it with water and a good glob of P.V.A glue, this will help it adhere better and prevent the edges from curling up when dry. Once the celluclay is mixed it can be applied either by hand or a rubber tipped spatula, i have covered the entire area of the base and styro foam board with the celluclay.

I have created a large shell hole which in later stages will be filled with water, the celluclay is worked around until i was happy with the general shape the clay was then smoothed with the palm of my hand so it created an uneven surface. Once i completed this i added the main building structure, the tree stumps and the rocks and pebbles i had gathered, once all of this is in place i then create vehicle tracks by pushing various wheeled and tracked afvs into the clay.

At this stage i have also set my figures in place temporarily these are removed before the clay dries. Once the figures are removed i take the sand and gravel and cover the entire base board, then oncecomleted i used the palm of my hand just to tamp the sand and gravel into the clay.

View attachment 19662

View attachment 19663

View attachment 19664

View attachment 19665

celluclay.jpg

groundwork materials.jpg

dio 2a.jpg

dio 2d.jpg

N

noble

Ok once all the main elements are in place i will leave everything to dry for 24 hrs, after the 24hr period is up and the base is dry i will mix P.V.A glue and water and brush it over the entire base, i have given it a generous application this is to ensure the the sand and gravel will be fixed into place, once the glue is applied i will leave it for 48hrs to be on the safe side to ensure everything is completely dry before beginning the next stage which will be the water.

View attachment 19669

dio 3a.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Waho, Scott.

Glad I'm first in line with comments...Of which there is sure to be some more!

This is looking quite exceptional even at this early stage.

Well done with the composition, it's spot on.

Don't rush it, take your time. We are not going anywhere LOL!

:clap2:

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant! this kind of stuff is why I come here!

Steve

N

noble

cheers guys your too kind thanks for the comments glad you like it so fartune in for more in a day or two.

scott

S

Satnav313

looks great mate cant wait to see it finished.

Whats the building structure made of it looks awesome.

Tom

S

Sky Raider

Great work Scott. i must have missed this one. A credit to you sir, well done so far/

Andy

N

noble

\ said:
looks great mate cant wait to see it finished.Whats the building structure made of it looks awesome.

Tom
Hi tom the building was actually a birthday present from last year that i had misplaced it is from plus models and is ceramic. thanks for the kind comments ans i hope you keep viewing.

scott

N

noble

\ said:
Great work Scott. i must have missed this one. A credit to you sir, well done so far/Andy
Thanks Andy i appreciate the comments as i have said this is my first attempt so iam taking it slow, thanks again and i hope you manage to keep viewing.

scott

N

noble

Hi again folks ready for stage 3... Ok so i had left everything to dry for 48 hrs, so now that it has iam going to start the water, because i want actual depth to this iam am using a product called simulated countryside water which i got from my local hobby shop. All i did with this stuff was open and pour to a depth of 3mm, added an oil drum and chunk of wood and done not that difficult really.

Also you will notice that i have started adding pieces to the building, more rocks rafters floor boards and bits of splintered wood, this was all done with those mixing sticks from cafe nero. Next i have added mig pigments to the road namely Russian earth and dark mud rather than spraying paint and highlighting, after all this is dry which i leave for 4 hrs. Once this is dry i will give the road area only 1 coat of clear gloss varnish to give a wet mud effect.

View attachment 19691

View attachment 19692

View attachment 19693

dio stage 3d.jpg

dio stage 3a.jpg

dio stage 3c.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking better by the minute,Scott. Keep up the good, no, excellent work.

:emo1:

Ron

S

Sky Raider

I agrtee with Ron, this just keeps getting better all the time Scott.

Well done

Andy

N

noble

thanks

\ said:
I agrtee with Ron, this just keeps getting better all the time Scott.Well done

Andy
Cheers andy i appreciate it and i hope you keep watching.

scott

N

noble

thanks

\ said:
Looking better by the minute,Scott. Keep up the good, no, excellent work.:emo1:

Ron
Thanks again Ron and like andy i hope you keep viewing.

scott

N

noble

Hi all 24 hrs have now past and its a snow day, before adding the snow i've did some more work around the structure i have added more splintered wood and a few oil drums to the mix now these were all fixed with P.V.A glueand given 2 houres to dry. Now it's time for the snow i have mixed a thicker mix of water and P.V.A. glue and applied it to all the raised areas first i have used botteled snow from the local hobby shop, this is shaken on until i have a good coverage of all of the raised areas and with the palm of myhand it is pressed into the glue.

I have applied the snow in generous amounts once dry the excess can be blown off and another coat applied if needed this will need another 24hrs to dry, so i will see how it looks tomorrow and add more if required.

scott

View attachment 19698

View attachment 19699

View attachment 19700

View attachment 19701

View attachment 19702

View attachment 19703

dio stage 4f.jpg

dio stage 4a.jpg

dio stage 4b.jpg

dio stage 4c.jpg

dio stage 4d.jpg

dio stage 4e.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is looking really, really impressive so far. How big is it overall?

Gern

N

noble

Hi

\ said:
This is looking really, really impressive so far. How big is it overall? Gern
Hi Gern thanks for the praise first of all i appreciate it, the base size is about 65cm long by 45cm wide it is fairly large by my standards as i have said this is a first attempt so iam not sure.

scott