1/35 Spahpanzer 2 'Luchs' 8x8 Amphibious Recon. Vehicle with S.N.O.R. digital camouflage.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I bought this kit at Cosford last year. It was loose in a poly. bag with no decals and the instructions were water damaged and barely readable....but it was dirt cheap!

The weird Luchs had two steering positions, one at the front one at the rear. All 8 wheels could be steered and it could swim! 408 were made and it remained in service until 2009.

In 2001 Prof. Otto Seydlitz, a Lecturer in Art and Design @ Kiel University and self confessed 'Tank Nut' came up with a revolutionary type of armour camouflage. He noticed that trees and shrubs were not (as painted on most armoured vehicles) relatively large areas of colour, but more a smaller patchwork of greens and browns. Based on his observations, he designed a radical type of camo. and called it S.N.O.R. after his, and his wife's initials......

He presented his idea to the German Military, who chose a Spahpanzer Luchs to test the Professor's paint scheme on. On completion, although thought a good idea, the process was deemed to be too complicated and expensive, and was rejected. Other nations took notes........

I brush painted the model with Vallejo Model Air acrylics. I've kept to a small amount of weathering using a watered down beige and coated the whole of the model with a large, flat headed brush, allowing the paint free range to settle where it chose to. The wheels I simply painted, and then rolled the model through some floor sweepings.

After marking out the 'Square Pattern' I brush painted the squares freehand with a very small flat headed brush, making the colour combo. up as I went along...... :upside:

Here is the Amphibious Luchs painted in Otto's S.N.O.R unique three colour camouflage. Sorry, its just O.O.B.

Strange, the instructions showed one of the step-ups upside down, so right or wrong, that's how it got stuck on!

P1250301.JPG

P1250308.JPG

P1250310.JPG

P1250305.JPG

P1250321.JPG

P1250323.JPG

The crazy and rather flimsy looking all wheel steering gear.....
P1250329.JPG

One of the two propellers which can swivel through 180 degrees.
P1250330.JPG

The vane in the operational position when swimming.
P1250331.JPG

The base is a bit of old, battle scarred 4mm white faced hardboard which was originally the backing of a kitchen unit. I cut out the hole for the model, then painted the white surface with some left over brown fence panel emulsion. I've deliberately left some streaking on the surface. Once the model was in situ, I made the wake using clear silicone.
The vegetation and trees were provided by Mother Nature. The rocks are bits of polystyrene.

Here is the Luchs 'Doin' a' wot comes nachoorally!" Vane up...vane down.

P1250350.JPG

P1250334.JPG

P1250339.JPG

P1250335.JPG

P1250338.JPG

The vane in use....
P1250341.JPG

P1250354.JPG

P1250344.JPG

P1250336.JPG

P1250343.JPG

'Otto's Luchs', as it is fondly called, is currently owned by a private collector, who has a small military museum in the Baltic coastal town of Sassnitz.
The curator kindly sent me a picture of the Luchs on display.
P1250324.JPG

Cheers all and I hope this crazy vehicle passes muster.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As always superb modelling and photography. Once again a very fine example of modelling on the cheap. As for the intro - am I being lied to? :rolling: Off to Google a certain Proffessor.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.....as for the intro - am I being lied to? :rolling: Off to Google a certain Proffessor.
Jim

Thanks for the encouraging post, Jim. I'm well happy you like the model.

Not much point Googling Prof. Otto. It's an alias!

He emailed me a few facts when he sent me the museum picture.
Despite the German military's decision, he knew his camo. would be a winner, so he took out a patent on his design and called it 'S.N.O.R. Digital'
When the world armies eventually used his camo. for their hardware, he made a fortune in royalties. Changed his name to Seydlitz (After the German WW1 Battle Cruiser which was scuttled in Scapa Flow in June1919) and promptly 'Disappeared'

I know where he lives, but sorry to say I can't disclose his whereabouts. I hope you understand his wish for anonymity .

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul and Dave.
Great and much appreciated comments.
Thank you for posting.

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good, and as usual the photos are outstanding....never heard of the vehicle but it sounds like a modern version of the Skdfz 231/234.....complete with two drivers.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim. Glad you like the finished model.

It certainly looks a 'Cob' vehicle, that's for sure!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Ian.
Thanks for taking the time to post. Much appreciated..... :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Funny posts, & some excellent work, but there really was an early "dazzle" type 3 color camo tried out by the Riechsbahn in WWII. PaulEGerman RR camo.jpg

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Beautifully done Ron- you put us aftermarket junkies to shame!

I have tried the digicam effect a couple of times myself:
C4D1856D-10DB-4AE5-9580-6187D5FDADFD.jpeg
858F1628-7DCD-46FA-A718-972B83EC1F7B.jpeg
I think yours looks a lot better, to be honest!
Alistair☠️

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.... :thumb2:

Paul- Now that is one big coincidence.... Wink, wink!

Alistair - I found the hardest part of the process was the initial preparation for the camo. Once this was done, the brush painting was fairly straight forward, if very long winded!

Another aspect of the build I found most useful, was writing a complete and utter load of bo****ks for the thread leader.....S.N.O.R. = RONS for instance. This approach confuses the nit pickers and fault finders and keeps them at a distance - And was fun to do too!

Thanks for your input too, Jason.

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ron,

That is what makes your work so enjoyable and fun. With some of your stories, it's hard not to put my boots on as they get deep, but always entertaining. Your photography skills are 1st Class too!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
There was a programme on TV where contestants had to decide which members of the panel were telling the truth and who were the fibbers. You would have made a convincing panel member 'cause you're a master of 'the tall tale'.
Oh and you're also a great modeller who takes great photos.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Allen. Glad you like the occasional Bull ****!

Nice one Jim, thank you.

That'll be 'Call My Bluff', me thinks.
Great programme. I did a couple of months of script writing for it. There I go again talking tosh.......perhaps.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great build Ron and love the front story, made me chuckle a couple of times.
Good job on the camo, reminded me of your other one, was it a BMP..... What ever.