1/350 Jaureguiberry French pre-dreadnought

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I had started building the USS St Louis in 1/250, but this has proved to be a bit too much, too soon.
The Jaureghiberry was a French battleship, commissioned in 1897. The French Navy was experimenting with their ships & this often resulted in bizarre, if not downright ugly ships
Jaureghiberry 01.jpgJaureghiberry 02.jpg
She suffered from poor stability & the mix of heavy guns made fire control difficult. She served in WWI, and in 1919 became an accommodation ship, being finally scrapped in 1934.
The model is from Thingiverse, supplied in 1/700 scale by 'PC_Model_Yard ' I've scaled it up to 1/350, and have printed most of the bits out - dry fitted together.............
DSCF4278.JPG
As you can see I've had filament changes - most parts were done on the Anet A5 printer, the turrets on the Monoprice Mini V2. The hul halves took about 6 hours to print out each. I've still to successfully print the cranes, I've had several failures, but they'd be easy enough to scratchbuild, but the latet attempt is looking good.
It's only a small model, and the material cost I reckon will be <£5. The time taken to print out the bits will be longer than the assembly. It will be glued with CA. There aren't any boats in the files, but Thingiverse has a folder with loads of styles of ships' boats that will be scaled to suit. I do have 1/350 PE railings - I'll see how assembly goes before committing to those!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The dry assembled primed bits - and it does look a lot better than all the multi-coloured raw printed parts!
DSCF4279.JPGDSCF4280.JPGDSCF4281.JPG

The ship had various colour schemes. Black hull & buff superstructure, black hull & mid grey superstructure, and all over light grey, this is purely from looking at images - whether B & W photos, art work, or colorised photos - of course no colour photos at that time. The French Navy is not really well documented ( at least in English ), so there will be a measure of guesswork........
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
These turn of the century battleships certainly have a brutish, beauty about them. This certainly could never be described as graceful.
The model definitely looks better now all a uniform colour.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After numerous attempts to print these boat cranes - this is the best I can squeeze out of the printers. I tried combinations of orientations, speed etc, and no more!
DSCF4283.JPG I will probably end up replacing them with plastic rod........................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
An hour or so of paint therapy....................
DSCF4284.JPGDSCF4285.JPG
I'll need to carefully mask, before I can add the black to the lower hull. Colours: Deck - Old Wood, Superstructure - Buff, both Vallejo Model Color
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The masking was a bit of a pig, but after several touch ups, I'm happy
DSCF4287.JPG
I'm going to have to fit the forward two twin turrets next, as you can't squeeze them in when the forward superstructure is fitted - I'm going to have to consider how many boats will be fitted - quite a lot!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All the major parts are added................
DSCF4290.JPGDSCF4291.JPG
You may note that one of the twin turrets is missing - I dropped it & put my size 11 on it! I can print another out, when I'm doing the boats - no problems with spare parts!
Dave