1/35th scale tank kits

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Interested to have your recommendations for those must have kits that build into a model without the need for lots of after market. Still learning which brands are better than others for quality and value

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
What is your price range? That would make the job easier.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
No specific price restrictions

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Takom, Meng, Dragon are the ones that spring to mind. But i'm sure the 'real' armour builders will be along soon to have an input.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Tamiya would be a good starting point. Very little if any fit issues. Reasonably priced. Well detailed with clear instructions

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Miniart - lots of detail and generally include separate link tracks and photo etch so you don't need to buy extras. I would say trickier to build than Tamiya with softer plastic and lots of small detail parts

Trumpeter and Hobbyboss also generally well detailed and usually with separate links and possibly etch - harder plastic than Miniart and not quite so many small fiddly bits

All three of these makes are more challenging to build than Tamiya whose kits just tend to fall together

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Warren,
If you want a detailed model, without the need for aftermarket parts, may I suggest Zvezda? In 1/35 the T-34/85 ( 3687 ) is really good for WWII, and for modern tanks, the T-90 ( 3573 ). Both of these build really well OOB, and detailed enough not to need aftermarket parts. With high detail, this leads to a high part count ( especially the T-90 ), so some experience is needed. Both models can be had for less than £30 each, are pretty new & are very good value. I have nothing against the Far East makers, but their prices can make your eyes water!
Dave

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
thx for the info everyone, I'm familiar with the more common brands but the likes of Miniart, Zvezda, Takom, Meng etc are new names to me, hence my hesitation

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got to agree with Dave. The Zvezda kits are well worth looking at.

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
I am partial to AFV Club, but they tend to be pretty involved builds. (They do the best Churchills though).
Meng are the new Tamiya for me, and make more modern and interesting subjects, as do Takom. Agree with SimonT on MiniArt- great kits, but very fiddly.
I can vouch for the Zvezda T90- a really good kit to build.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Interested to have your recommendations for those must have kits that build into a model without the need for lots of after market.
Define “need for lots of after market” — aftermarket to correct major flaws in the kit, or aftermarket to enhance the kit’s existing detail? (Some people may consider these to be the same, mind :smiling3:)

If you want ease of construction, then go Tamiya, but note that most of their kits involve simplified detail in many areas (think things like grab handles moulded integrally like a tab of plastic rather than supplied as an actual handle-shaped part). If you want kits that already provide a lot of fine detail, then the aforementioned, AFV Club and Takom are among the good choices, and I would add Asuka to this if Shermans are your area of interest.

Somewhere in between are brands like Academy, Dragon, Hobby Boss, Italeri, Trumpeter and many others. Dragon especially varies a lot: they do highly detailed kits of German AFVs with lots of detail parts, but at the same time they also produce(d) mediocre kits of 1970s–’80s Soviet vehicles and Shermans, for example.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If you fancy an AFV that's not a tank take a look at the MENG Bradley, particularly with the full interior.

It's incredibly detailed but quite complex.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
you have all given me much need info on some of the brands i'm not familiar with

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you fancy an AFV that's not a tank take a look at the MENG Bradley, particularly with the full interior.

It's incredibly detailed but quite complex.
I keep hoping they’ll backdate it to earlier versions, especially the basic M3 … I’ve been wanting to build one from the 1991 Gulf War but don’t really fancy detailling the old Tamiya kit (or its Academy copy).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Warren,
whatever you chose, don't decide, before doing a little research. Use 'Scalemates' to check on age, origin, and any reviews. I find it helpful if I can download the instructions, to gauge complexity - and also see what colours are called for!
Dave