1/48 Bf109F-4/R3...Reconnaissance Aircraft..Sardinia 1942

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi chaps.

Anyone who has had a look at my model of the Bf109 flown by Major Helmut Wick and my attempt at the wonderful cammo on the Balkans Bf 109, will realise I'm a sucker for different, even wacky cammo schemes.

I've been on the look out for a 'Saw tooth' cammo 109 for ages, and finally nailed this 1/48 one on E bay for £7.00 inc.p/p!

I have been pestering Steve (Stona) with questions and thanks to his great knowledge and patience, I have enough information to make a start on this model.

The kit, from ICM is terrific, loads of detail (See the picture of the bits just for the engine!) I like to give these less common kits a chance rather than the usual Tamygawa stuff, because they usually are a lot cheaper, tend to go for the more obscure types of aircraft and can make up into great kits. I haven't started it yet, so I can't comment on the fit....Yet!

So here is my project, I'm really looking forward to having a crack at the saw tooth cammo. The front box art is a bit naff, but inside......

Steve, if you read this, it would be nice if you were to add some info. and history about this particular type of aircraft.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 43736

View attachment 43737

View attachment 43738

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 006.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 001.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If its as good as their (ICM) spitfire kits, you should be well pleased.

Good thing your a hairy stick guy. I would go mental trying to mask that camouflage.

I will be looking forwards to seing this come together.

Ian M

J

James Q

That camo looks terrific, lots of patience needed though. Its nice to see these more obscure patterns and different options. Btw that engine looks fantasticly detailed.

D

dubster72

7 quid? 7 quid?? You're a one for the bargains Ron! I'll look forward to this one as I remember you did a smashing job on that 1/32 109 from a year or so ago.

Patrick

G

Gren

Should be a good build,looking forward to seeing it being built.

Les

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good to see you underway Ron.

Ron's doing a Bf109F-4/R3. It's a photo reconnaissance version from 1.(F)/122. It was coded F6+TH. We've managed to find a couple of piccies of it based in Sicily. Between December 1941 and January 1943 the unit was based at Gerbini and then Catania.

We've managed to establish that despite the R3 designation this aircraft did have a full radio installation with mast and all relevant antenna wires and Ron has sorted out the mottle on the rudder.

Looking forward to seeing this kit built,good luck with that camo :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts chaps, and to Steve for a potted history of this Bf109.

It's been a while since I tackled an aircraft, so it should be fun....

Sorry, but the cockpit won't be all whistles and bells, as my main focus of attention will be having a crack at the cammo scheme.

Anyway, I'm off and running and need help straight away.....What colour are the large horizontal engine support brackets please?

Here is a photo of the well detailed engine. Final parts tally 24!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 43772

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo.jpg

J

James Q

The engine looks fantastic Ron. sorry cant help with colour though, I would of thought either a silver or black?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The engine bearers would be RLM 02.

The engine is indeed essentially black but you can have fun mucking it up. They used a lot of oil!

You can also have fun with the fluid reservoirs,like the annular oil tank on the front of the engine behind the spinner. Natural metal or RLM 02,the choice is yours.

The exhaust pipes were made from an alloy (not cast iron as I've seen elsewhere!) and were treated with a blacking compound (called Kernick Schwarze) similar to the stuff our forebears would have used on their stoves. I can't say I've ever seen them looking rusty.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for your feedback.

Great photos Steve, just the ticket.

That first picture could well be 'our' Bf109, the saw tooth certainly is. It has me thinking....

I was going along with the notion that the cammo would be sharp, like a saw tooth, but looking at that picture, the teeth are slightly rounded.

This makes me wonder whether it was applied with a brush? Either way, it makes my job a bit easier!

Thanks again boys,

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Can't wait to see the 'Brush Master' at work again Ron matey.

Have fun, John

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
great price ... that is about in sa rand 70 ... in the local hobby shop kits like that go for about zar 350 / 400 ... great camo too .... saw this on the web which u might to have a look at ....rgds lindsey

1/48 bf109G-6/R6 "red 13"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments chaps.

After looking at Lindsey's link, I think I will bin my effort before I get further into the build, and go back to making pizza 'ouses! lol

Anyway here is the finished engine. Sorry, I couldn't resist a play with the background!

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 43803

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 007.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks good Ron.....palletised and ready to fit!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Finally got round to finishing this aircraft.....

It's in the 'Sawtooth' cammo used in the Balkans and Sardinia. As usual, brush painted using Vallejo Model Colour Acrylics and Humbrol Enamels.

I had intended to make a small diorama for it, but all the 1/48 ground crew figures are very expensive. I can't justify spending almost the same on four figures as I did on the kit.

I'm reasonably happy with the model, but as my old school reports stated with embarrassing regularity....Could do better!

Even the dog thinks so!

First five pictures, outside in the sun.

Second six, indoors.

Last, with my mate, watching the sun go down last night, enjoying a bottle of wine....me, not the dog!!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 45613

View attachment 45614

View attachment 45615

View attachment 45616

View attachment 45617

View attachment 45618

View attachment 45619

View attachment 45620

View attachment 45621

View attachment 45622

View attachment 45623

View attachment 45624

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 019.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 008.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 009.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 010.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 011.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 012.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 013.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 014.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 015.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 016.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 017.jpg

Bf109 Saw tooth cammo 018.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great job Ron,I was wondering what had happened to this one. Lovely photos too,they set a nice scene for the model even if not technically dioramic (is that even a word?).

Top job brushing that Luftwaffe camouflage as well.

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

really nice job u did there,awesome just wish pics were bigger lol

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas, glad you like it.....

Steve, I don't know why, but I lost the 'Buzz' a bit with this. It could have been the b****y awful fit of the engine cowl and rad. air scoop (if that is what it is)....That is why they are both on the floor, honest!

Ole, it took me weeks to figure out how to down load pictures in the first place, so to make them bigger....No chance!lol

Cheers,

Ron