1/48 Dragon Fw190A-8/R11

T

treyzx10r

I'm back in my Nocturnal mode and starting the Fw190A-8/R11 1/48 Dragon

The kit looks nice with very little flash and a sheet of PE that appears to be stainless instead of the usual brass. The decals have yellowed so I have some Owl decals for relacement. This will be Ofw. Gunther Migge 1/NJGr.10

quick dry fit looks promising no major gaps

I'm geussing the interior color as RLM 66 anybody know for sure? Steve ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Most certainly is Trey :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looks a nice fit Trey.

I've just ,hopefully, bought a couple of 190's in 1:72, so I'll be watching with interest.

Tony.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've got this kit too so defo watching this one lol. So many to watch, such little time

T

treyzx10r

The office is ready to instal went with RLM 66 and used some Eduard seat belts I had left over. The landing gear and bays appear to be RLM02 unless anybody knows different I'll be going with it.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes landing gear bays are RLM 02 Trey.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks I thought as much!I made some progress on the wings and fuse. Some fit issues up front are going to be a pain,especially at the wing roots. I had to leave out the forward part #c22 it made the fit even worse. To obtain a better fit I glued the upper fuse and gun cowling only at the trailing edges and let it dry over night. This allowed me to spread the forward areas out for a better fit around the trailing edge of the engine cowl. The fit is still not great but a lot better.

the wing assembly is another bit of 'why did they mold it this way' fiasco. I glued the wheel bays at the trailing edge and let dry overnight. This allowed me to fit the top halves to the bottom and get those leading edge areas around the wheel tubs to fit better. Again not great but better

I 'm hoping after this drys it wo'nt be so bad,shoild've gotten the Eduard limited instead me thinks;)

and the drop tank fiddly bits are done a quick pass with a #11 will get the tiny bit of flash I missed after it drys good

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
The office looks great Trey Good luck with the rest of it. Hope you don't have any more fit issues.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Vaughan, the fit at the engine cowl and wing roots is aweful and could'nt be in a worse place to fix without loosing a lot of detail but I'll do what I can with it.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Trey I know you like a challenge and I'm sure you will make another great build.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
Hi Trey I know you like a challenge and I'm sure you will make another great build.Vaughan
Lol yes I do like a challenge and thanks for your confidence ,hopefuly I'll pull it off without too much damage to the surrounding areas

First Name
Dave
I've never built a Dragon kit myself.I assumed that as they are expensive (over here) that they would be top quality.Anyway Trey,it wouldnt be as much fun if it was easy!.

T

treyzx10r

Dave I wish quality went hand in hand with price but not so here. The other Dragon kit that I built was the Ju88 nachtjager and it had horrid fit issues as well. I was able to sand everything without loosing much detail at all. I will need to rescribe a few small spots but thats it, real relief to be through that hurdle.

T

treyzx10r

Not much progress today, did get the Canopy fiddly bits sorted

A

AJay

All good so far.

Trey, do you use filler to get rid of the fuselage centre seam lines, or is the fit such that it's no needed? I think my fuselage halves aren't clamped together tight enough as I always need filler no matter how good it looks.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas and yes Alex I use green Squadron putty on the seams were there is a gap. I use a coat of super thin ca over it after its cured and sanded to seal it ,this helps prevent the paint from soaking in to the repair.

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

I sprayed the RLM74 & 75 using silly putty as a mask for a soft edge between the 2 colors. Hopefully tomorrow will see some RLM 76 go on

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking great Trey