1/48 Italeri Hurricane Mk.I

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
After seeing Ian's build i just had to get this kit. One of my all time fave aircraft this is and i just hope i can do it to a decent standard

I've decided not to paint the engine as i have no intention of showing it off. So i'll just build it to mount the propeller and exhausts.

Here's my start on the cockpit. I need to re-paint the sutton harness as i painted it then fitted it to the seat. DOH! Wrong way around. But there again this is the first time i've ever used PE stuff

View attachment 37967

View attachment 42092

010120123210.jpg

L

Lancasterb1

I have this kit too, I only glanced in the box and stuck it in the stash with a view to building it some time soon. Please keep us posted on the build Allyne I would be interested to see what transpires from the build. On speaking to a few modellers this kit has no vices at all and is worth the effort, so perhaps I will take mine down off the shelf and start it as soon as I finish the other two on the go............................

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm drooling Allyne, going to look great. You'll get use to PE stuff soon mate that you'll be getting it for every build.

Have fun, John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've got this one aswell ! It looks brilliant. But, check Ian's thread out, I think he said the camo colours are back to front in the instructions.

Colin M.....

B

Brickie

Yep, I got one for Christmas and am alternating between "OMG I want to build this now!" and "I don't want to cock it up"

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great start Allyne looking good.

Vaughan.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just take a good long look at the paint guide .....

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hmm not impressed with this kit. First as i said above it is easy to make the cockpit squint. Second i had to fit a bit of cut off sprue to make a spreader bar for the fuselage. This brings it to within touching distance of the wings. Now i tried dry fitting the fuselage and wings together resulting in the wing box/undercarriage bay interferring with the fuselage. So i've had to file away quite alot of the wing box just to get it sitting semi flush at the wing roots. Not impressed at all. Found the two wing sections are slightly out of tolerance and therefore the top wing overlaps the bottom. It's easy to remedy but as this is a new tooling i shouldn't be having to do this. Here are two pics showing what i mean.

View attachment 38399 View attachment 38400

View attachment 42486

View attachment 42487

090120123230.jpg

090120123232.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to read that Al. The one that I did a while back fitted really rather well. I think I said in the original post some thing like good, not as good as Tamiya, but good.

The only thing I had issues with was the small amounts of flash that was on just about everything. Now't to cry about, but enough to be a pain...

The one thing I will remind you of hopefully before you get to that part. The Paint guide. If you are going for one of the camouflage versions be careful Italeri have made a cock up in the labeling of the colours.

The diagram is correct, they have just labled the colours the wrong way round. If you are like me and just go for it, you end up painting the green bits earth and the earth bits green!!!

I did actually e-mail them on this and they said they would look into it. (despite my heavy hints they did not send a replacement kit, but I did get a new set of decals so I could do a repaint!!!)

I am sure that once you have had your way with the kit it will end up looking as good as any of the others you have done!

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Done a few bits and bobs to it. Still having some fit issues but i am beyond caring now. Just want to get it built and painted. Added the little strut on the intake just for something to do. Came out ok and will add a little touch to it once built.

View attachment 38899

View attachment 42891

150120123240.jpg