1/48 Pegasus V2 Rocket Father/Son team build

T

treyzx10r

My Son Connor has asked to start building and wanted to do a 'space rocket' as he put it . I thought a V2 would fit in nicely and found this kit for $10.00 at the local hobby store. Very basic kit 12 parts 1 decal. The detail is very nice with deep panel lines and rivets no flash at all on the parts,pretty impressive for the money. Here is the box and basic layout

Here Connor is giving me some building tips and explaining how we are going to go about the build process

This should be a blast he is already taking over

F

Fenlander

Two things Trey. One, your son wanted a space rocket so you got him a V2, that is tantamount to exploitation in my book :laughing:

The other is, what an amazing couple of pictures those last two are, modelling at its best mate, truly at its best.

Love the beard by the way..........

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic trey, great to see hes taking an interest. He'll learn so much making kits with his dad,- patience , tactile skills , history and when hes fed up with that he can always zoom it round the room!! This kit comes with some stickers too doesnt it, a good idea to make it a bit more friendly to younger modellers . Dont forget to post us some pics , im sure he'll be the proudest kid on the block when hes finished it! cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

Trey absolutely brilliant and as Graham says what a cracking couple of pictures. My father put me on the path of modelling all those years ago when we used to work together on a railway layout and you really can't beat it for developing your relationship. I'm always just that bit disapointed that I have no-one to pass it on to.

What a great lad Connor is and how lucky he is to have a Dad like you.

T

treyzx10r

Graham you got me on that one I'm guilty as charged, and :thanx: appreciate the compliments on the pics,oh glad ya like the chin whiskers

Thanks Tony yes you're correct it did come with stickers,they were the first thing the lil Dude snagged out of the box. Now I'm trying to explain to his Mom that they look okay on the fridge were he stuck 'em

Richard thanks,Glad you had that time with your Dad they are the best kind of memories are'nt they?.

We have almost completed the basic buid ,as I said before not much to the kit which honestly is a nice break

Connor is busy sanding so he says he'll get some more pics up soon,thanks all.

First Name
Dave
Your photos remind me of my childhood watching my dad making a Canberra and what I think was a Douglas Skyrocket.it would have been the early sixties so the kits were probably Aurora.I was into Dinosaurs (aged 5 or 6) and he made me a stegasaurus and a Triceratops.Don't know who the kits were by though.the V2 looks like a good kit.I did one once in what I think was 1/76.I remember it had loads of parts including the launch tower/platform.Looking forward to seeing this one built.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff Trey,that's the way to do it.

BTW the V2 was certainly a space rocket reaching altitudes of around 80Km. The first photographs of the earth,from space,were taken from a V2 in 1946 IIRC and here is a link to some taken in 1948.

http://media.airspacemag.com/images/V2-panorama.jpg

Cheers

Steve

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
YES!!!!! What a blessed Man you are Trey-many households today shame this stuff or don't understand the passion that kids have towards engineering too! I build almost ebery afternoon with my 3 year old Son both rockets and aircraft. Its been the most rewarding moment of my life when He recognizes the part and were it goes. Keep up the great work! Take care, Jeff

T

treyzx10r

Dave thank you very much, and this one has a launch platform

Thanks Steve ,as usual you come thru with the awesome info :1newwink::thumbs-up:

Jeff thats great, glad to hear you're also building with your son!

I did a preshade and then Connor helped cut and tape the cammo

Connor really enjoyed doing the wash as he was free to slop it just slop it on

B

Bunkerbarge

The look on Connor's face says it all, brilliant pictures Trey.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Richard! Well we finished it up and he's grinnin ear to ear. This will be followed by many more until then heres a few pics,thanks for all the kind words !

First Name
Dave
That looks really good .your sons done a good job.you should be proud of him.My daughter wouldn't have the patience and she's 19!.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff,to say the young fella looks chuffed would be a bit of an understatement! The rocket looks good too. Do you reckon you've got young Connor hooked? Maybe another stash in the offing lol.

I have two grown up daughters,if they visit whilst I'm in modelling mode they don't even stick their heads around the door to say hello. They have an "eyes rolling heavenwards in exasperation with an occasional added tut " session with their mum instead! At least it's something all three of them can agree on,those of you with daughters will know what I mean.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Trey, tell connor hes done a fantastic job of that!! He must have had a good teacher! The V2 really looks excellent, and the pics are great too, the black and white one in particular looks quite menacing.Its so nice to see that connor really enjoyed this, hopefully he'll want to do something else, i hear the planes by pegasus are good too. Cheers tony