1/48 Tamiya J2M3 Raiden(Jack)

T

treyzx10r

I've got this one and just one more to go before the Japanese surprise comes out ,so please hang in there it wo'nt be long. Tamiya usual good stuff in the box and the dry fit looks promising

T

treyzx10r

The office is somewhat stark and a real IP would have been nice instead of a decal sheet , oh well.

T

treyzx10r

Pilots are a done deal,please be kind figures are'nt my strong point. I also drilled out the antenae support and its basically ready to paint. The fit was really good and only required a tad of putty.

painted up the pilots(not my strong point)

ready for some paint!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hang on a minute! I'm just going to have a look in my garage!, First the otaki ki 61, now this, are you burgling my stash trey!!!LOL!! As with the ki 61 ill be very interested to see how this goes together, although like yourself ,ive given it a quick dry fit and i think it'll be the usual tamiya quality. I think your cockpit is excellent trey , plenty of detail without being too fiddly to construct, but as you said,its a shame the instruments werent represented by raised detail rather than a decal. With a pilot in and the lid shut it wont be noticeable. I really like the Raiden, its a bit chubby but it looks like it means business! ,the only drawback is that there werent any interesting schemes other than green (apart from the captured one in US markings ,as done by mike (the migrant) ) Keep up the excellent output trey , were all dying to see what the plan is!! cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Thats funny Tony must be a good stash you have ,what else ya got lol? Thanks ,you're right the IP will look okay as is since its a closed canopy. The schemes are somewhat bland so I'm going with the 352-37 with the yellow 'v' on the fuse.Well based it with TS-30 silver leaf as usual,gonna be a small bit of salt going on so it was needed. Based the bottom with various shades of random grey tones and 'faded ' the fabric areas on the flight controls. Mixed some red/brown testors for the spinner and props. The next bit will be the top coat. Not finding many different schemes so I'm going with the 352-37 with the bricht yellow v on the fuse sides.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Coming along nicely there, Trey.

I really like the shading on the pilots flight suit, looks realistically "leathery", well done.

Tony.

A

AJay

Looking good! I think the cockpit looks fine - I like the subtle weathering.

I was about to purchase this kit so many times but purists considered it lacking in accuracy, same as Tamiya's old Ki-84 - I think it looks just fine for my needs and for the money, you can't go wrong!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thats funny Tony must be a good stash you have ,what else ya got lol?
Well , theres a few jap 1/48 kits for starters -- otaki ki61, tamiya j2m3, tamiya ki 46 dinah, tamiya ki46 shitei, nichimo ki45 nick ,tamiya Aichi seiran,revell Aichi Val , and thats just the jap stuff!!!!! cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Tony thanks the leather was a bit of luck figures are'nt my fortay at all.

Roman thanks, sorry to see you had to put off the Ju88 build was looking forward to that one!

Alex I built the Ki84 as well and heard about the 'accuracy' issues on it as well ,but for the price it really is'nt an issue for me. Besides I build for fun first and try to be as accurate as time and money allow. I thank you for the kind words.

Vaughan thank you!

Tony I want to nick your Dinah leave the door unlocked for me again ;)

Thanks Ian appreciate the compliment

I did a little salt just in the wing root area ,from all the pics I could find the paint looked pretty intact on this bird. I used a dark green for the preshade then applied several coats of thinned Japanese army green over that. After the yellow and black were applied I gave the whole thing 2 coats of kleer then started the decals.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking very nice Trey the wing root looks just right as you say not too much. Just a question do you spray or brush your klear?

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
Looking good Trey.I really must have a go at this salt chipping.Although i bet its not as easy as you make it look.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Vaughan and I use a wide soft brush to apply the klear,Dave thanks and the salt chipping really is'nt that hard . You can actually 'push' the crystals around with a small stiff brush to get them to behave .More decals are on as soon as they dry good I'll start weathering and putting on the finishing touches

T

treyzx10r

I'm calling it done thanks again to all for the great positive support

some 'in flight'

all comments and critiques most welcome

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic! I just love it trey, ive always had a soft spot for the chubby little raiden,ever since my cousin got the 1/32 revell version years ago. If i recall correctly it had working sprung undercarriage and rubber tyres --at the time (mid 70's) unheard of for us nippers used to bog standard airfix kits!!! Great in flight pics trey, have you covered the stick using photoshop? if so ,have a go at the smudging effect ,it can make the props look like theyre spinning . I did it on one of mine but i had to get my son to show me how !!!LOL!!!! Top stuff mate , cant wait to see what the master plan is! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Excellent build as usual from you Trey.Im interested to see this master plan as well.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Another outstanding build Trey. I can't wait to see this project of yours.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas really appreciate all the support its awesome. Tony I did the work on photobucket but not sure on how to do the blurs. Almost there thanks for the patience ,adding the KI-43 and then the project will hopefully work out stay tuned!