1/48th Scale Saturn V

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is most interesting.......from where do you "Hail" good Sir? Far as I know our Starbucks is wide open.
Rick H.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0001 (51).JPG
The CM I bought from Shapeways as the original solid resin piece's shoulder was too large and I don't have the equipment to turn the shoulder down to fit inside the SM tube. The LES tower is also from Shapeways. Here I've begun drilling out two windows and will insert frames and clear acetate.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Steven. What a model, when I read that it was going indeed to fly up 1600 I was even more impressed. A great deal of thought and skill gone into this build.Shall enjoy following this .

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0001 (52).JPG
For those of you familiar with model rockets back in the day, a company called Centuri and of course Estes had their own 1/100th scale versions that flew. The LES tower was typically prone to breaking sooner or later. Same thing with the Mercury Redstone with it's tower. I've decided to address this issue by using magnets. The top of the CM is cut off here ready for the magnets to be installed.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0002 (27).JPG
One magnet sits here while the top part will receive it's magnet. The idea I hope will be this creates the weak link to separate at this joint before the lattice work on the tower breaks. This is a hit or miss proposition as I have no idea whether the magnets will be strong enough to keep things together during the flight phase and weak enough to separate during a rough landing.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I might as well take the opportunity to explain something of myself. I am bipolar II, almost took my life prior to diagnosis. This disorder will leave you feeling like a shell of a human being. No emotions, no joy, no happiness, no sadness, no anger, nothing. We need our emotions good and bad to move through life. It will take you to the top with a manic state of mind then it will put you six foot under in an instant with overwhelming depression. This project has taken me the better part of five years since July of 2015. Most of the time it sits with only spurts of activity.
One day in March of 2017 it was a sunny day yet chilly out. I got in my Z4, dropped the top and took in the brisk, invigorating air. I did this a number of times during March as the weather was beautiful. I just drove with no destination in mind. In my travels I had been passing this particular Starbucks. I had already taken a large step by getting out of the house. Now I took it further by going inside and ordering a coffee. I broke one of my cardinal rules with no, smoking, no eating or drinking in my cars by sitting in front of the store and just gazing at the natural beauty of the tall pines across the street. I was feeling very good for the first time in a long time.
The next step was to actually order something here and find a seat inside watching customers come and go. I wanted to reintegrate myself with people and was starving for conversation. I had an idea. I began to bring my David Weeks drawings to Starbucks and began planning a step by step approach to make this rocket better. I had chosen the largest table there as these drawings would dwarf the other tables spilling on the floor. People began to take notice and conversation ensued. I very much enjoyed conversation with both the staff and customers concerning my project. Now the next step was clear, I began to bring the upper section of the rocket in to begin detailing. Things really began to pick up. Then the final step, to bring the entire stack in and proceed. What was to follow was unreal. Here was a guy with a 7.5 foot rocket inside a Starbucks enjoying their products and the countless conversations I began having.
People of all ages, men, women and kids were utterly fascinated by this project. I found a place to rehabilitate and this was my therapy. My doctors were impressed as well. To take a handicap and spin things around by yourself is truly self empowering and I realized this. I had related much of my story to many people, from employees to customers. During this time I had a spell that lasted for two weeks and did not show up. One of the customers had gotten a get well card and had people fill it out. IMG_0002 (21).JPG
IMG_0003 (7).JPG

Last edited:

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
IMG_0002 (17).JPG
This gentleman is a highschool teacher just a block away from the shop. I got him interested in building model rockets for after school student activity. I had given him a brand new Apogee Saturn 1b to build with his students. He had already built and flew an Estes Saturn V with his students and showed me the flights on his phone. Most excellent!

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's very good work Steven, this is coming along nicely. Bit of a monster build too. You have some very good friends there at your Starbucks. My missus' brother has a similar condition to what you described. Friends and interaction with people are very important, so good on you, and them.

Looking forward to seeing more of your Saturn build :thumb2:

All the best, Joe

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thank you everyone. Since the virus, I haven't been able to do any build time there since February 26th, so I've done a bit at home. I've been working on mostly the upper section as it's simply smaller and more manageable. Here it is in it's primed state: IMG_0001 (57).JPG
IMG_0002 (31).JPG
IMG_0003 (12).JPG
Next will be the application of gloss white followed by gloss black roll patterns. The clear backing of decals are better hidden on a gloss surface. After the decals will be a clear coat of flat.