1/50 Showmans Caravan. DAPR 3D print

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another quick & dirty build for a mate of mine.

The 3d printed kit comes with no instructions as such, save a pdf download with some Ikea style pictures. It shouldn't be too hard to work out what goes where though.

1000008014.jpg

The printing is a bit rough. There's a deliberate texture on the side panels but some parts, particularly the main body, had really bad layer lines so they were sanded with 120 > 220 > 320 and given a couple of coats of primer, subsequently sanded with 320, to smooth them out a bit before construction started

1000007988.jpg

I decided to start with the slide out first. Apparently this is usually glued in for transport mode, or extended if you want to display it as static. Instead I made a rudimentary guide to allow him to have it either way, without falling back inside. He doesn't want any interior making for it so there was plenty of room to play with

1000008003.jpg

1000008005.jpg

1000008007.jpg

1000008006.jpg

I haven't fully decided but I'll probably paint the interior black then smoke some clear plastic for the windows (the top of the box it came in will do nicely), and maybe add some curtains, all to disguise the lack of interior fittings.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Tim. To be honest it's kept my mind off Zoë's health issues, which have actually resolved into a better than expected outcome.

After many ups & downs, scaring the bejesus out of us with the worst case after an MRI , and seemingly endless other tests, it seems a small op and radiotherapy should do the trick. She may not even need chemo but that's tbc.

Best of all she shouldn't need to be off her life-changing RA meds for too long.

Still not a barrel of laughs, but so much better than the outcome they were preparing us for!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Tim. To be honest it's kept my mind off Zoë's health issues, which have actually resolved into a better than expected outcome.

After many ups & downs, scaring the bejesus out of us with the worst case after an MRI , and seemingly endless other tests, it seems a small op and radiotherapy should do the trick. She may not even need chemo but that's tbc.

Best of all she shouldn't need to be off her life-changing RA meds for too long.

Still not a barrel of laughs, but so much better than the outcome they were preparing us for!
Very good news Andy. Pass on my best wishes to Zoe, and I’m glad her RA meds work better than mine :crying:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad things are looking up for Zoe. I suppose layer lines are always there in 3D prints to some degree. Just less noticeable in higher end machines.
..... then smoke some clear plastic for the windows (the top of the box it came in will do nicely),
Sorry Andy, I don't understand. I know how kippers are smoked but not clear plastic :rolling: :smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First thing lets hope Zoe is improving Andy.

Great work , and certainly different to what we normal see. See one of these every year when the Midlent Fair arrives in Stamford , very cleaver idea.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks gents, I'll pass on your comments to the good lady.

No progress to show as I've had a couple of busy days. Yesterday evening was spent picking up a stricken Rolls Royce Wraith from Manchester (Moss Side of all places!) and tonight we've had a little celebration. Back to the bench tomorrow :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I paint the inside of the clear plastic 'bronze' to give it a "smoked" look.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I ended up using some very diluted black to tint the windows. I think I've probably gone one coat too far, but it's only a quick smash together job. Saves me making some curtains as they'll hardly be seen now :smiling3:

1000008028.jpg

I masked the outside of the windows before gluing the whole thing shut, just in case I pressed too hard and popped one of them in..

1000008029.jpg

Then it was sealed up and given a couple of coats of white primer. If it were for me I'd have done more filling and sanding, but my mate really isn't bothered as long as it looks reasonable from a distance.

1000008034.jpg

I now need to find some paint for it. I managed to talk him out of having it metallic grey like the rest of his trucks & trailers. Instead I'm going for a more traditional off white, but with a red stripe and met grey detailing to tie it together with his collection.

I have loads of bits of white but not enough to do the whole thing, so I may be a mongrel mixture.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
As always, excellent craftsmanship from you!
But to be honest, the FDM print loses compared to your self-built caravan from a few days ago.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As always, excellent craftsmanship from you!
But to be honest, the FDM print loses compared to your self-built caravan from a few days ago.
Thanks Andreas, I think enjoyed building the other one more too.

Maybe I'll do something similar for myself some day, scratch built with a full interior.

Great news about Zoe.
Pete
Very much so Pete. I'll pass that on thanks. You're one of the very few here to have actually met her.

Coming along very nicely Andy.
Cheers Garry.

I made up a traditional off white with some MRP white, Mr Color yellow, and Scale Model Shop desert sand. A bit of a concoction but it should do the trick once the other colours are on.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks chaps.

He's popping over later to pick them up so fingers crossed he's happy.