1/72 Academy Fw 190 D-9

W

wbk666

A very easy kit to assemble.

Plenty detail in the cockpit thats mostly hidden once the fuselage is joined together.

Underside painted with Citadel Blood Red ready for the decals. I may come to regret this option, i was tempted to spray it white and mask the stripes. We'll see how it goes.

Top side was given a coat of RLM 65 as in instructions

Now comes the journey into the unknown

free hand spraying of the camo, no masks just my shaky hand, dodgy eyesight and RLM 82/83

Not totally happy but i think its ok for a 1st attempt. I think i'll give it another coat on the wings tomorrow.

Any hints, tips or critique gratefully accepted.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great so far wayne , good luck with the decals , cheers tony

W

wbk666

\ said:
Looks great so far wayne , good luck with the decals , cheers tony
I'll probably need it, Academy decals arent the best and these are big decals.

Hopefully get the kit "futured" tomorrow and the decals on monday. **fingers crossed**

thanks everyone for the comments.

C

CDW

\ said:
.Plenty detail in the cockpit thats mostly hidden once the fuselage is joined together.
Aint that the case Wayne, one of the reasons i'm not a big aircraft fan, all that time on the office and you can only see it when you squint through a little window :smiling3: :smiling3:

Anyway this seems to be coming along ok, the camo looks good to me - much better than my attempt at this patchy type on a 1/32 JU88.

Nice to see some Citadel colours being used (i'm a massive fan of them even if they have got weird and wonderful names:smiling3: :smiling3: )

W

wbk666

My son is a Warhammer 40k fan so i have access to plenty Citadel stuff.

I use their various silvers a lot and their "tin bits" is a cracking rust colour.

thanks for the nice comments CDW... love the dog BTW he/she looks huge lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks very nice. White decals over red might be fun!

Which one are you doing? I built a 1/32 version of "Red 1" simply on the grounds that I like the slogan Sachsenberg applied below his cockpit.

"Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!

"Sell my clothes,I'm going to heaven"

It's not exactly standard German and a lot of decal manufacturers get it wrong!

My second favourite is Wubke's "Red 3"

"Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn"

"By order of the State Railway"

Wubke had to fly Jabo (fighter bomber) missions during the BoB when assigned to 9./JG 54 and his slogan was his way of protesting. Bombs were transported in railroad cars which carried this label.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
mines the 1/72 version by academy and i also Red 1 :D
A very good choice if I may say so:smiling3:

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Cheers

Steve

W

wbk666

well the underside decals are on and considering its Academys decals they went on pretty painlessly/

Not perfectly lined up but theyre near enough for me.

Its resting now with a coat of microsol then i can add the rest of the decals that go over them......phew... that was nerve wracking LOL

C

CDW

are they all individual?....1/72?.... I take my hat off to you sir :smiling3:

M

mobear

thats a fantastic line up(you see what i did there?lol)awesome job.glad it was you and not me

mobear

W

wbk666

no they come in blocks, the wings are made up of 3 each. the length of the body are 4 single lines

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The decals look good.

There are plenty of pictures of the aircraft of this unit,but few show the stripes. Those that do show that they were not perfectly applied.

Finally the only known colour photo,not great,but it confirms that the scheme was red and white rather than the black and white many of us thought back in the day.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wayne, the underside looks great mate, this will be a cracking build when it is complete. Lucky you had a good batch of decals, my limited experience with Academy decals has not been fun. Interesting background info Steve, that last colour photo must be very rare, being so late in the war for Germany. Am I right in recalling that the stripes were an identification for German flak units? I know this unit was responsible for shielding the Me262 bases while they landed and took off, the stages at which the jets were most vulnerable.

W

wbk666

no one was more surprised than me that the decals went on so well, this is my 3rd academy and the previous two had terrible decals that resisted microsol/set to the very end lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Interesting background info Steve, that last colour photo must be very rare, being so late in the war for Germany. Am I right in recalling that the stripes were an identification for German flak units? I know this unit was responsible for shielding the Me262 bases while they landed and took off, the stages at which the jets were most vulnerable.
That's exactly the case,the Fw 190 Ds were the protection flight for JV 44. The stripes were supposed to prevent them being fired upon by their own Flak units. The colour photo was taken by an American,hence the GI in the fore ground.

There are a lot of photos in the first volume of Jerry Crandall's series on the "Dora" showing these aircraft and I think Eagle Cals did sets of decals for all the known aircraft of this unit under "Doras of Galland's circus" or something very similar.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
"well the underside decals are on and considering its Academys decals they went on pretty painlessly/

Not perfectly lined up but theyre near enough for me.

Its resting now with a coat of microsol then i can add the rest of the decals that go over them......phew... that was nerve wracking LOL" They look perfect to me wayne! great job, although ive never found any problem with academy decals, maybe im just lucky! keep it up mate , top class build , cheers tony