1:72 Airfix A50106 - One small step for man...

• Thread starter Deleted member 9328
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck Mr Gorsky……….and nice to see that Airfix, along with almost the entire world, got the quote wrong :tongue-out3: According to Neil himself he actually said “one small step for a man”….the misquoted one is better though…..

D

Deleted member 9328

Good luck Mr Gorsky……….and nice to see that Airfix, along with almost the entire world, got the quote wrong :tongue-out3: According to Neil himself he actually said “one small step for a man”….the misquoted one is better though…..
Your right along with numerous many other misquotes during that mission! How many narrators mention a computer malfunction during descent of the Apollo 11 Lunar module....it never malfunctioned once!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice taff , something different . You’ll be looking for chocolate bars that have a gold foil wrapper now ! ( dont know if bournville still has ) Cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice. I saw a real one in the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC over 20 years ago, and remember being surprised at how tall that thing is. I mean, you can sort of tell from the boxtop painting you have there, but it’s not quite the same as seeing one in the flesh :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Two things intrigue me here, I've never seen one of these built, and your first build since the 70's Using all my detective skills available to me, I think you might be into "Space rocketry science"
Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Jumping ahead a bit, any thoughts on how your going to tackle the base ?

D

Deleted member 9328

I was too young to remember about the end of the Apollo era, but Space and its engineering is amazing. Now with Artemis programme, and recent Apollo anniversary I thought I would start buliding a homage to the early Space technology.
When you say base, do you mean foil, painting or something else? This part is the bottom half of the Lunar module.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When you say base, do you mean foil, painting or something else?
He means a scenic display base that you fix the model onto — a replica of the moon’s surface in this case, to display the model in its natural environment rather than just by itself on a shelf.

D

Deleted member 9328

Sorry...it comes with a moon surface, astronaunts and equipment to display.

D

Deleted member 9328

Yes Taff, that's what I'm on about. The base supplied, are you going to used crushed moon rock all over it - well, maybe not real moon rock.
I wasnt however good idea. But, just finished cementing legs and put on moon surface to show and found an issue..leg pads dont fit in preformed depressions so lesson here when fixing legs is perhaps use the mould to get leg and support angles right.

Attachments

• 20220904_155149.jpg
    20220904_155149.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 11