1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk1a

M

MPal

This is my latest build. It may not turn out 100% accurate, as I am using the colours I currently have, My main aim is to enjoy building though:

S

Stevekir

Interesting. I am doing the same kit although I have got only to the assembly and gluing stage. I have been practicing airbrushing but having got that more or less sorted I will be making progress on the kit. I will follow your progress.

I had trouble fitting the cockpit bits in — they seemed too long for the space provided by the slots on the inside of the cockpit, but that was probably due to my lack of experience.

I haven't yet removed all visual traces of the top front fuselage seam. Mr. Dissolved Putty will be my next step. Then the canopy.

First Name
Dave
Looking good Mpal.im building the Airfix 1/48 version at the moment.This kit looks like a scaled down version.The build up of the cockpit looks exactly the same.Your colours look good to me.Brown looks very similar to the Vallejo dark earth I use.And the Sky underside colour looks right to me.I see your using Revell Acrylics?.I used one of them for the first time On a mk9 spitfire Ive just finished.Apart from the odd pot they come in I'm pleased with the finish they give.The paint is quite thick so will go a long way.I thinned it with tap water and it sprayed on really well with my airbrush.Will definately be getting some more.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Daughter No 2 built this a while back (with a bit of help) it really is a nice little kit. Your's looking good so far. Nice work.

M

MPal

Well, started the camo now.

Its all freehand brushpainted, following the painting instructions as a rough guide

M

MPal

Thanks Dave. My painting skills arent up to the standard needed to pull off large scale models.

Although my excuse that room for storage means that smaller models are the only option for me, saves me from too much explanation to SWMBO.

M

MPal

\ said:
Nice looking Spitfire there.I've struggled to brush paint with Revell, and have found Vallejo Model Colour much easier to work with.
Thanks for the comments.

Cant say I have any issues using Revell Aqua Colour at all.

I thin with tap water, and sometimes some Windsor and Newton Flow improver added (a drop). Brush painting Tamiya on the other hand!!

M

MPal

Painted the gun areas red, and did some slight touching up.

Hope to get this clear coated tonight, ready for decals tomorrow.

M

MPal

I almost forgot about the exhausts and the antenna.

SO these are now fitted. Exhausts were painted using Tamiya Flat Aluminium, with a wash of Revell Aquacolour Anthracite over that. I think it gives a very good effect.

First Name
Dave
Nice weathering.looking forward to seeing the finished model.

M

MPal

Thanks Dave. Well here you go, as its now finished. I will take some better pictures tomorrow hopefully

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A nice rendition of the newer 1/72 Spitfire. Bit of a gap under the windshield?

M

MPal

\ said:
A nice rendition of the newer 1/72 Spitfire. Bit of a gap under the windshield?
yeah. Its too long to fit, and i tried shaving some off each end, but ran out of material too remove. Its also not quite wide enough either. Only problem with the kit that I experienced really. Its not as noticeable in real life when viewed from a more top down angle.