1/72 cr 42

T

T. van Vuuren

This is my Italeri 1/72 Fiat CR 24. The model sofar is nicely detailed wit good fit. The struts were a tad fidlly but good practice for my 1/32 SE5a later.

Those bottom wings are only 30mm long LOL!

Theuns

View attachment 51934

models 055.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to seeing this one evolve Theuns. You are a man with many missions I see.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Good choice theuns! Its not very often we see the little fiat biplanes built, keep up the good work , cheers tony

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks great so far Theuns. I'll enjoy watching this come together.

Tony.

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Gents

Here is the airframe basically completed. It was frustraiting to get it all lined up and straight with those fidly bits and cement that takes long to cure in the cold, but I think it looks OK-ish.

The painting will however pose problems as the bottom of the top wing will take some carefull masking inbetween all the bits and rigging. I could not pre paint and then assemble as the top wing determins the angles of the bottom wings.May have to bruspaint it....

Theuns

View attachment 52052

View attachment 52053

Models 060.jpg

Models 061.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking forward to seeing the paint job theuns , it looks great now its all together , cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

This plane is kinda like a warthog, butt ugly but it grows on you LOL!

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I used PVA fibre glass release agent as a washable mask and it worked extremely well! Jus brush it on, let it stand for 20min and AB your colour on.

When that is dry you simply wash off the PVA with a brush and water. Takes a little more work to get of where the enamel goe over it heavy but otherwise a very good result. I dont think I could have masked it any better with antthing else and not damage something.

Theuns

View attachment 52140

View attachment 52141

View attachment 52142

Models 066.jpg

Models 063.jpg

Models 064.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's worked very well Theuns,duly noted.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Is PVA fibre glass release agent an industrial agent? I've not heard of it being used on plastic kits before. Great idea!

T

T. van Vuuren

I mould scale helicopters and get it from a composise suplier, but I am sure a good hardware store might keep it. I am thinking that even thinned down white wood glue could work aswell. Just don't let it cure to long as it then can not be washed off.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A fantastic looking CR42 Theuns, love the camo job, and I spied great work on rigging in there too.

M

mobear

a really nice build this plane,the paintwork is awesome,must have been a pleasure to build(almost)thnx for the show theuns

mobear

T

T. van Vuuren

I must say that yes it was fun to build. My last Italeri was the 1/72 Grippen and that was NO fun, but this one makes up for it LOL!

I am happy with the rigging and will try the same on the 1/72 Airfix Swordfish later.

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job theuns , and not easy in 1/72 too! 5 star build , cheers tony

M

mobear

ooOOoo a swordfish,straight jacket will be ready for you,especially in 1/72 lol

mobear

T

T. van Vuuren

The reviews on the nwe tool airfix swrodfish are very good indeed and as I understand they suply a jig of sorts to help with the alignment of everything. I saw the kit and it looks really nice. Now I just need the space bucks to get one LOL!

Theuns