1/72 f-104

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the old 1/72 ESCI F-104. The plane is rather simple wit OK-ish fit and nice fine scribed detail.

The decals were totally brittle and fell appart in water, but I manage to save them by spraying a coat of clear acrylic over the decal sheet as a binder. Thet worked very well like that.

No Alclad to be had here in SA, so I just used Tamiya Chrome silver emanel with Tamiya clear acrylic over it.

It seems tha not all 104's looked like mirrors LOL!

Theuns

View attachment 47505

View attachment 47506

models 002.jpg

models 003.jpg

M

mobear

very nice model plane you have made there,first rate mate

mobear

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice model Theuns. I think the silver came out great. Always amazes me how these things flew in real life. Missile with wings.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Missile with wings, nice job. The silver shows up well.

If you ever get the opportunity to read the biography of Erich Hartmann, "The Blonde Knight of Germany", his comments on the F-104 were that he basically considered the F-104 an aircraft more dangerous to the pilot than to any enemy. A quick look up shows they lost 282 F-104 in crashes and 115 German pilots killed on that type. I dread to think what numbers the Americans may have lost.

T

T. van Vuuren

I believe the Lufftwaffe called the 104 the widdow maker due to high pilot losses.

The USAF during Vietnam turned the thing into a bomber and by adding more weight made the plane very difficult to fly safely.

But all that being said, I think that the 104 captures the feel of the 60's and is one of the best looking aircraft ever to be built. My personal preference for good looking planes is usually the French and some Italian craft purely for their style, but on this one Kelly Jhonston got it just right!

I found a place here in SA that sells Alclad online and might get some to do my Hobbyboss 1/48 Mirage III CZ in pollished Allu SAAF deliviry sceeme.

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Missile with wings, nice job. The silver shows up well. If you ever get the opportunity to read the biography of Erich Hartmann, "The Blonde Knight of Germany", his comments on the F-104 were that he basically considered the F-104 an aircraft more dangerous to the pilot than to any enemy. A quick look up shows they lost 282 F-104 in crashes and 115 German pilots killed on that type. I dread to think what numbers the Americans may have lost.
You have to wonder, with so many crashes and losses - why on earth wasn't the type grounded ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Missile with wings, I liked that I always considered this to be one of the aircraft that looks fast even when standing still.

A very nice result Theuns.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great build and paint Theuns.

Tony.