1/72 Hawker Sea Fury T-20 two seater trainer

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
When I made my diddy OO Scale JCB which I posted on here a few weeks ago I had an idea for a small diorama showing it doing something useful.... A trainer aircraft upended in a ditch being hauled out by the machine.

I found this kit on ebay, it's made by PM Models in Turkey. No, I hadn't heard of them either!

It went together really well with hardly any fit issues, so if you come across this make it's fine.

When I had finished the Sea Fury and mucked it up a bit I found the digger was way too small next to it. Even trying a bit of forced perspective it still didn't look right.

So here here is the aircraft on it's own. All brush painted with Humbrol enamels, one well used 1/72 Hawker Sea Fury T-20 Trainer.

According to the blurb, the thing on the top of the cockpit is there to allow the instructor to view the pupil's gun sight!!

Perhaps not quite the most accurate of builds, but a bit different eh?

Go easy on me as it was supposed to be in a ditch!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 27430

View attachment 27431

View attachment 27432

View attachment 27433

View attachment 27434

Sea Fury T-20 002.jpg

Sea Fury T-20 006.jpg

Sea Fury T-20 011.jpg

Sea Fury T-20 008.jpg

Sea Fury T-20 003.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Very nice Ron, looks realy small.
Thanks for the nice comment Andy, it's about 5 1/2" long. Not so bad really. Bit bigger than the yellow insect which was supposed to drag it out of the ditch!

Cheers,

Ron

S

sprayman

A really top looking 1/72 bird there Ron, I take it you have robotic eyes or a microscope to get that sort of result in that scale.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one. I missed this earlier and it's one of my favourite aircraft. Looks really good in silver.

I thought 00 and 1/72 were pretty close,don't forget that the Sea Fury's wingspan is just shy of 40'.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

According to Wikipedia, OO scale is 4mm to 1 foot, which comes out to 1/76.2.

The Fury may look much too big when compared to your 'insect' but Steve's right - there ain't that much difference in the scales. Either the JCB is 4 mm too short, or the Fury's wingspan is about 8 mm too big when they are compared together - depending on which way you look at it! Maybe you could get away with it after all.

Still, you've seen the two together and it's what people see that counts - not what the numbers say! I mean, the numbers say there's only just over 1mm difference between 1/72 and 1/76 figures, but if you put them side by side the difference seems massive. You have to be very careful and selective about poses if you want to use both in a dio.

I don't know why I've written this! You've probably forgotten more about dios than I ever knew. lol

Gern

Edit: I was so busy messing about with the numbers, I forgot to comment on how good your Fury looks!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to you all for your comments boys, I appreciate you taking the time to have a blimp.

I would have agreed that 1/72 and OO are more or less the same, it's only when the two models were placed side by side that the big difference becomes apparent.

Figures are probably not quite so noticable, and could be lost with a bit of trickery, but bigger subjects like aircraft v's JCB's the difference is greatly enhanced and difficult to hide.

Steve, I seem to recall your dad flew Furys, is that correct?

No problem Dave, you got there in the end mate!! LOL

I had intended to take a picture of them both together but I have sold the OO scale JCB on ebay....and got a tenner for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
He did Ron,here he is leaning out of his cockpit.

And in an 801 Sqn. line up. Back row,right hand end (as we look). The geeky looking officer third from the left on the back is Ted Anson who went on to be the last commanding officer of the previous Ark Royal and an Admiral!

That picture gives a good impression of how big the Sea Fury actually was.

Incidentally NAME Gardner is a Naval Air Mechanic Engines but I have been unable to discover what the acronym NARM stands for. If anyone knows I'd love to know.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I've had a look on google and narm stands for ( amongst quite a few others) Navy Resource Model....

Does that make any sense to you?

Ron

M

msm2

Navy Resource Model (NARM) is it this. Just a quick search.

Tony..

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you gentlemen for making the effort to try and find out.I really don't know,it's on the crew panel under dad's name. NAME (Naval Air Mechanic Engines) Gardner who presumably looked after the engine and NARM Clarke who obviously looked after some other important aspect of the aircraft. In this context I suspect the NA bit maybe Naval Air again and that the R maybe Rigger (?) but you never know with military acronyms.The military habit of giving things names with the component words in reverse or some other weird order certainly doesn't help! They also seem often to be very specific to a particular time period and place.

I did once ask a chap who served with my father a few years later (flying helicopters) but he didn't know either.

I can't say I've lost any sleep over this but is has intrigued me since I first saw the photograph many years ago,unfortunately after my father had died.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good fun this!

Steve, I may have cracked it!

I looked under the Fleet Air Arm Ranks and came across this :- Naval Air Radio Mechanic.

What do you think, any good?

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yes Ron,brilliant,thankyou.I've replied to your PM too.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sweb

Are the initials N.A.R.M. or N.A.P.M.? Looks like the latter to me. I'm thinking the "P" is for Plane(?). US Navy and Marines call them Plane Captains so the use of the word Plane seems logical.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Apologies ron mate, ive only just seen this one. Its a lovely build,even if it was supposed to be in a ditch! Ive done a couple of PM kits and theyre ok arent they? I know they are very basic detailwise but then again they arent expensive by any stretch ,and the 3 ive done went together no probs.The single seat sea fury makes a nice model too , in fact i think airfix reboxed it recently. cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see this aircraft rise again from the depths of S.M.! lol

No worries Tony, I find that even going 'walkabout' for just a few days makes it difficult, if nigh- on impossible to keep up with the builds / comments ect.

I fear that folks might start to think me ignorant for not posting regularily...

When I saw the P.M. kits were from Turkey I was a bit concerned about quality as I'd never heard of the make before, but as you point out they are a good fit for little money.

Cheers mate,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, very nice, especially at that scale - keep them coming. Cheers Derek

B

Brickie

Just found this thread as I'm starting to build the same kit, but either our ideas of "went together really well" are divergent, or something's gone a bit wrong with mine...

In particular, I have a bunch of fit issues with the wings - I'm wondering if I've been supplied the wrong sprue or something...

See the thread at The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum • View topic - PM Models "Bagdad Fury", 1/72 scale