1/72 Hobbyboss Hawker Hurricane MKII

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I have to wait for some supplies for my Phantom, so never one to sit still for long, I got hold of one of Hobbyboss' little easy-build (and cheap) Hurricanes. It goes together really fast with only a tiny amount of filling and sanding. I knew about the issue with the markings, that they were for a IID tank busting machine as opposed to the kit supplied IIC version.

So surgery started on the wings. The cannons were removed and the bulges sanded down. I had done this to an Academy Hurricane IIC before when I converted it to a Hurricane IIB. This one was much easier to adapt, the cannons being part of the wing in the kit and therefore eliminating the need to fill holes.

View attachment 59660

A nice clean wing and the tropical filter fitted:

View attachment 59661View attachment 59662View attachment 59663

In my spares box I had kept the 40mm guns from the Airfix 2042 kit. I removed the plugs and sanded the bases flat so they sat flush with the wings:

View attachment 59664View attachment 59665

The landing gear has been fitted and the aircraft is ready for painting. If you really wanted to, I would say you could build one of these in a day, maybe two and they would make excellent starting kits for a new builder or a child. I have to get some new paints for the desert scheme, so progress will be delayed for a few days.

View attachment 61426

View attachment 61427

View attachment 61428

View attachment 61429

View attachment 61430

View attachment 61431

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1547.jpg

B

BigZimmo

Hi Joe!

An interesting modification. I also like to build the Hobby Boss kits, because you can quickly achieve a pleasing result and it is also a relaxed project for in-between.

Good luck continues. :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great (and quick) start Joe , looking forward to seeing it in the paint, cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Cheers guys. Yes, they are easy to build and quick. And good value too I think.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Update. Model has been painted, decals applied, the model glossed and decals applied. I had heard some not so good things about Hobbyboss decals but these went on no trouble at all. I did hoever, hHad a bit of trouble with the tailwheel which broke off twice and the aerial did not survive unscathed either. The dangers of tiny factory-attached parts I guess. Finished kit link to come shortly.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Finished link here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/18406-1-72-hawker-hurricane-iid.html#post159513

B

Baz Williams

Hi Joe - I have a 1/72 Revell IIc Hurricane awaiting painting in similar camo svheme. It would be the first model I've air-brushed. Any tips about masking please?

Baz

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hello Baz. This one was hairy-stick brushed I'm afraid. But basically you can mask it in a similar way.

I started with the azure blue lower colour. Then I used tape to mask the edges along the fuselage, wing leading edge and cowl lines etc. I use Tamiya masking tape, it's flexible and reliable. The camouflage pattern has a few options. One is to free hand, which is okay if you are stick brushing. For this I simply draw the pattern onto the model using light pencil lines and fill them in with the appropriate colour.

For airbrushing I recommend using tape and Blue-tac. You will need to cover your underside colour well and seal it with tape. Your canopy, if fitted at this point, should be masked. Spray your lightest top colour. When that is dry, use blue-tac to form the shape of the main scheme. Fill in the sections to remain the lighter colour with tape or paper inside the blue-tac. Then spray your darker colour. When you remove the masking you will have nice demarcation lines which are also slightly softer than the brush method.

In either case, I recommend leaving all 'auxillary' and fiddly parts such as the propeller/spinner, tanks and other extra bits until you are done with the main scheme.

Hope this helps you Baz. If you get stuck feel free to ask in the painting section, there are many people here with vastly more airbrushing experience than I.

B

Baz Williams

Apologies for late response Joe and many thanks for the tips. I had sprayed the azure blue but was plucking up courage to start the upper surfaces. If it turns out any good I'll post the results on the forum.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My pleasure Baz, glad to be of help. Look forward to seeing your Hurricane in due course in all it's desert splendour.