1/72 Revell Hurricane

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, my Stuka is finished (unless I decide to give it a dust wash!) and I have a Zero waiting for the start of the Japanese Aircraft GB, so I need something quick to fill in the rest of this month. I picked up this Hurricane at an autojumble for £1 a couple of weeks ago, and it only has about 18P1170647.JPG parts, so it shouldn't take long!
P1170618.JPG
No box, but the instructions and decals are there:
P1170647.JPG
The tooling seems to date from 1962, and there are places where that shows - including the pilot, who looks like the monster from the black lagoon, in a sleeping bag.
P1170648.JPG
Surprisingly, he's quite detailed, but that's largely hidden by the mould misalignment and flash. Apart from him/her/it, there's no other cockpit detail. I suppose I'll have to stick something black in the front of the cockpit for an IP.
The fuselage halves seem to fit together quite well but there are some horrible sink marks on the underside.
P1170649.JPGP1170650.JPG
I think I'm going to brush paint this kit, something I haven't done since I discovered acrylics... what could possibly go wrong?
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Make it a nostalgia build: put it together like you would have done in your youth, just with better technical skills: straight from the box, no additions, just clean up the parts and put them together per the instructions. With tube cement, of course, and use the exact paints that the instructions recommend — enamels rather than acrylics, if at all possible. If you don’t have a colour, take the one you do have that you think is closest without doing any actual research, and regardless of whether it’s matt or gloss :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Oh that looks horrible. You paid £1 - I think you were done :rolling:
It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

To be honest if have to be paid to take that kit!!!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Here's the instructions and paint colours:
P1170651.JPGP1170652.JPGP1170653.JPG
The highlighting was there when I bought it.
I don't have any Revell enamels, but I do have most if not all of those colours in Revell acrylics so I might stick to those as far as I can. You might notice that they've forgotten the key for some of the colours. (Sorry about the blurryness, my modelling camera is sulking).
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well, my Stuka is finished (unless I decide to give it a dust wash!) and I have a Zero waiting for the start of the Japanese Aircraft GB, so I need something quick to fill in the rest of this month. I picked up this Hurricane at an autojumble for £1 a couple of weeks ago, and it only has about 18View attachment 484388 parts, so it shouldn't take long!
View attachment 484387
No box, but the instructions and decals are there:
View attachment 484388
The tooling seems to date from 1962, and there are places where that shows - including the pilot, who looks like the monster from the black lagoon, in a sleeping bag.
View attachment 484389
Surprisingly, he's quite detailed, but that's largely hidden by the mould misalignment and flash. Apart from him/her/it, there's no other cockpit detail. I suppose I'll have to stick something black in the front of the cockpit for an IP.
The fuselage halves seem to fit together quite well but there are some horrible sink marks on the underside.
View attachment 484390View attachment 484391
I think I'm going to brush paint this kit, something I haven't done since I discovered acrylics... what could possibly go wrong?
Pete
That’s how I remember kits from my youf!!! You can see why they ended up air rifle fodder!! (Targets) :thumb2: :smiling3: :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fuselage together. I had to stick a bit of plastic in for the IP, and another behind the lagoon monster's head. I drew the line at cockpit sides though! The LM/pilot is supported by pins on the cockpit sided that go into holes in his shoulders - one fitted, the other is too short. Well, he's not going anywhere.P1170663.JPGP1170664.JPG
At this point I realised I'd mad a mistake - the prop is supposed to fit into a collar and be inserted between the fuselage halves before they're joined. I'm not bothered about the prop being able to spin so I'll just glue it on afterwards.
On to the wings:
P1170665.JPGP1170666.JPG
Pretty good fit. Not perfect, but a smear of PPP will sort that out.
Not so good underneath though:
P1170668.JPG
As well as the wing being a bit smaller then the gap in the fuselage, there's a massive step in the rear fuselage, seen here with a grey layer of Humbrol filler. Revell have kindly moulded the kit's production date of 1962 into the lower wing, along with a slot that I suspect is for a stand. That'll get filled as well. I might leave the date on though, for any future viewer who wonder why this model is so crude!
Have to love those lines of rivets, that run completely around the engine cowl!
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I tried a bit of brush painting but wasn't happy with the results, so it's back to the airbrush. The black/white underside has been done, and I decided to airbrush the camo freehand, with a few pencil marks to help. Using and oldish set of Hataka paints. Unplugged the compressor so I could plug in my Whirlimixer to give the paint a really good mix. Filled the a/b cup with thinned paint, pressed the trigger, and blew paint out of the cup all over the inside of the spray booth! Tightened the nozzle cap and cleaned up a bit. Started spraying OK, then had some tip dry. Cleaned the tip, added a little more thinners, sprayed a bit more, a bit spattery but then the paint stopped coming out. Cleaned the tip again, turned up the air and the paint, sprayed a bit more, then - nothing. No paint, not even any air. Took the nozzle and needle out, full of paint but no apparent blockage. Tried to spray IPA - still nothing. The I reslised - I'd unplugged the compressor so I could power up the vortex mixer, but forgot to plug it back in! :rolling: Note to self - compressors work best when powered.
All was well with the compressor running, so finished the Dark Green:
P1170705.JPG
I'll get the Dark Earth on later. Might try brushing that so I get a sharp transition between the colours.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oops. Part way through reading that I was thinking I bet you wish you'd stuck with the brush!

I must admit I've done exactly the same in full scale. A genuine face-palm moment when you realise.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The I reslised - I'd unplugged the compressor so I could power up the vortex mixer, but forgot to plug it back in! :rolling:

Old Dutch commercial for IBM, from the 1980s. The punchline at the end is Of je stopt de stekker erin — “Or you plug it in” — because the know-it-all boy can’t work out why the family’s new PC doesn’t work and suggests his father phones IBM for help, but his little sister has the solution. That punchline is something people in the Netherlands still say 35 years or so later in situations like yours, without even knowing this is where it’s from :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Don't sweat it Pete, it happens to all of us at one point or another...With that small wing thingy, a brush will be even quicker to finish the camo anyway...We wouldn't want to see you mess up this expensive kit with the AB, now would we...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Old Dutch commercial for IBM, from the 1980s. The punchline at the end is Of je stopt de stekker erin — “Or you plug it in” — because the know-it-all boy can’t work out why the family’s new PC doesn’t work and suggests his father phones IBM for help, but his little sister has the solution. That punchline is something people in the Netherlands still say 35 years or so later in situations like yours, without even knowing this is where it’s from :smiling3:
I’ve actually done that…….when I first got broadband back in the distant past you had to wait a couple of weeks for it to be connected. The broadband kit was duly delivered and I connected it all up to make sure all the bits were there, then disconnected it and hooked up the dial up modem again so I could get back on line. After a few weeks had gone by I was getting a bit concerned that my new fangled connection still wasn’t working so I phoned technical support…….the usual account checks were made and I was told it had been connected a couple of weeks ago so it should be working. The technician then started running through all the technical checks they could think of, eventually started getting a bit stumped by the problem. “Just going to ask for advice” they said. After a couple of minutes they came back and said, “can you look at the modem sir”….”yes“ I said…..”how many cables are connected” they said…..”one“ I said…….”Sir, there should be two” they said….Doh ………….I had put the cable back in the modem from the PC, but had forgotten to plug the modem into the wall…….

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a Read through on this Pete....I'm rootin' for you Sir...and anytime I could pick up a kit that cheap I'd be all over it!! :thumb2: ;)