1/72 SCALE: DC-3 DOWN IN THE FROZEN WASTES.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
So, with modelling taking a bit of a back burner at the moment due to my illness I dare not start a project, however, I do have a DC-3 that was part finished when I had a flare up and it went for a fly with no power and ended up in pieces. It sat there for ages, I started to to do it again and the chuffing cockpit glass broke in two, dropped half of it and could not find it. This was supposed to be a serious piece, prior to attempting the models donated by Laurie. After sitting there fuming for twenty minutes I decided to do, what I feel. I do best, wrecks.

So here is the DC-3 that has crashed in some icy wastelands, it has serious damage, lost a wing, one engine, the noise is caved in, the fuselage is bent, one engine has been bent and the prop has sliced into the fuselage. I somehow think the crew/passengers didn't get out alive :sad:

The plane has had various washes and highlighted in aluminium and chrome effect, it even had some chipping but the snow has covered it lol. The base is sprayed in a metallic blue and the glass kept of the frame. Epoxy was used to show a watery/slush look showing the reflecting glass and the blue underneath, PVA was used for the other half and coated in snow layers to build it up. Poundshop snow effect added...cos it's cheap :D

Comments welcome.

* FINAL FINISHED PICTURES ARE ON PAGE 2, THIRD SET, THANKS.*

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 71668

View attachment 71669

View attachment 71670

View attachment 71671

View attachment 71672

View attachment 71673

DSCF1912.JPG

DSCF1914.JPG

DSCF1917.JPG

DSCF1920.JPG

DSCF1921.JPG

DSCF1922.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice model Si, I like the fruzzed look!

The model apart, what does come over is your blunt refusal to let your illness get the better of you.

You have my sincere admiration for your positive attitude.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Very nice model Si, I like the fruzzed look!The model apart, what does come over is your blunt refusal to let your illness get the better of you.

You have my sincere admiration for your positive attitude.

Ron
Thanks Ron, it isn't anything super special but it kept me busy and turned out okay.

C

CDW

like that mate!

cheap BiCarb of soda might be even cheaper than the snow stuff Si ... mix it with PVA and you're good to go.

I'll echo Rons comment and give you a pat on the back for your determination .... now don't over do it or i'll be down and kickin some bottom ok mate!!!

T

tecdes

So Si you have made a model out of a disaster I like that. Always thought that the clever in this world are those who can convert disaster into success. The mind is agile & working in all directions & never gives up. It nags until the conundrum is mastered. There is always an answer to a question and a piece out there which will fit the jigsaw & make the picture.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
like that mate!cheap BiCarb of soda might be even cheaper than the snow stuff Si ... mix it with PVA and you're good to go.

I'll echo Rons comment and give you a pat on the back for your determination .... now don't over do it or i'll be down and kickin some bottom ok mate!!!
Thanks Colin, just saw the snow effect and although it is a bit chunky in places...my missus bought it :D That's it for a while, going off to my caravan next week so will just be relaxing.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
So Si you have made a model out of a disaster I like that. Always thought that the clever in this world are those who can convert disaster into success. The mind is agile & working in all directions & never gives up. It nags until the conundrum is mastered. There is always an answer to a question and a piece out there which will fit the jigsaw & make the picture.Laurie
Don't know about clever Laurie, just sick and fed up of looking at it and then it all going wrong lol. At least the bench is clear for when I am ready. Glad you like it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Enjoy the 'van Si....have a good relax and m'be a beer or two?

Can I ask where the caravan is?

C

CDW

I miss my caravan... Twas in a nice little site with some little fishing lakes and a river flowing through.... Moved up here and originally thought there would be nowhere to keep it so sold it to the owner of the land ...... Two weeks after I moved up here I found a secluded caravan site with a trout stocked lake just 5 miles away..... Damn and bugger!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, if Si posts where his caravan is, me and thee will get there before him and tow it up to the Pentland Hills......sorted!

T

tecdes

Yes miss my caravan as well. Would still have one but Pauline just loves a real mattress.

Kept it in DInan in Brittany. Leave work 5:00pm in Dinan by 6:30 amongst the snails wine & langoustine.

Happy days.

Matter of interest my first flight ever was in a Dakota. They called them Dakmasters. Walk up hill to your seat. Given a sweety for the ears. Going from London to Jersey to live in 1962. The captain came on. "Don not worry about the bangs & clonks on the fuselage they are caused by ice falling from the wings onto the fuselage. -3 degrees in Jersey when we landed the land of the sunshine !

Laurie

Apologies Si bit off subject. But I blame Ron & Colin & you started it SI. :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Si, you've done it again mate. Superb use of this kit, and it looks the bees knees.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Enjoy the 'van Si....have a good relax and m'be a beer or two?Can I ask where the caravan is?
I beer or two sounds good Ron. My caravan is at Easington, near Spurn Point, on the East coast. My caravan is a static, had touring vans and a Mazda Bongo with drive away awning, my illness slowly stopped me from enjoying the Bongo and the tourer hence the static.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I miss my caravan... Twas in a nice little site with some little fishing lakes and a river flowing through.... Moved up here and originally thought there would be nowhere to keep it so sold it to the owner of the land ...... Two weeks after I moved up here I found a secluded caravan site with a trout stocked lake just 5 miles away..... Damn and bugger!!
Damn and bugger indeed Colin... :sad:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Colin, if Si posts where his caravan is, me and thee will get there before him and tow it up to the Pentland Hills......sorted!
NOOOOOOOOOOO! It is my sanctuary, besides my missus will be awaiting to dish out some beats.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
That's cruel ..................... I'm in!!, :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
I'm telling and my lovely wifey will get you...so there.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes miss my caravan as well. Would still have one but Pauline just loves a real mattress.Kept it in DInan in Brittany. Leave work 5:00pm in Dinan by 6:30 amongst the snails wine & langoustine.

Happy days.

Matter of interest my first flight ever was in a Dakota. They called them Dakmasters. Walk up hill to your seat. Given a sweety for the ears. Going from London to Jersey to live in 1962. The captain came on. "Don not worry about the bangs & clonks on the fuselage they are caused by ice falling from the wings onto the fuselage. -3 degrees in Jersey when we landed the land of the sunshine !

Laurie

Apologies Si bit off subject. But I blame Ron & Colin & you started it SI. :D
Off topic...who cares, it is sharing and having a good laugh. Ice falling off the wings hitting the fuselage...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it so easily good have ended up like my model!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Si, you've done it again mate. Superb use of this kit, and it looks the bees knees.
Bless you Joe, although this is finished I am toying with adding a few bits of debris in the snowfield.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nicely done Si, a silk purse out of a sows ear time, have a good rest at the caravan mate, get well soon and see you when you get back.

Tony.