1/8.5 Hurricane Mk1

T

T. van Vuuren

I up scaled my old Dave Boddington Hurricane Mk1 plans from 47 " to 56 " wingspan. I am trying to build it sa light as I can as it will be electrically powered.

The basic box truss is remarkably stiff once all the X bracing is in. The top rear stringers were a pain to install, they are very fidly.

I have completed the side "allu pannels" except for the bottom wingroot fairing. The side and bottom stringers will go on next.

Sofar I am happy with the weight. My aim is a max flying weight of 5,5 Lb. The motor gives about 550w of power so this should give OK performanse with the bigger wing area.........I hope!

I will paint it in the colour of one of the SAAF (RAF) BOB aces, most likely "Dutch" Hugo.

Comments welcome

Theuns

View attachment 56918

View attachment 56919

View attachment 56920

View attachment 56921

Hurricaine 004.jpg

Hurricanie.jpg

Hurricaine 001.jpg

Hurricaine 003.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Yes, but just a little LOL.

I have basically completes the fuselarge incl the top cover for the battery access and the wood for the tailplane is lying on the bench ready to by cut.........if only I can get the time to do so!

I am also working on my Bell 222, Dallotell and another pattern plane I want to compete with, so my attention is spread very thin at this stage :sad:

Theuns

View attachment 61662

View attachment 61663

Hurricaine 001.jpg

Hurricaine 002.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks very nice!!!

I will be looking in on this one. I know its hard to juggle so eye on the ball and calmly forward!

Ian M

T

T. van Vuuren

The problem I have is that like today I have been strugling to get a decent feul flow through an Aeronca's gascolator systen that has not seen a drop of Avgas sing the mid 70's and it was but totally clogged up , infact so much that the screen looked like a solid dome of the gascolator. It took a while to actually see how the system worked to be able to srtip it , clean it and then re-assemble it back onto the plane.

I also had to re-seal the whole thing with a fuel sealer that is not plesant to work with.

It is critical to get it right because when the prop stops making wind in flight the pilots get angry and the authorities want to know who did what on the plane!

All of this with the prop just there where you stand up to go to the work bench and knock your head into the darn thing.......all great fun though LOL!

I am by no means complaining , it is just that sometimes full size planes and their little "quircks" make model building less attractive............till a few days later when I inevetably get a model out to work on it!!

Theuns

PS. Hopefully my Boss and I will soon be starting on a full size WW1 project I think will be of particular interest to you lads there in the UK, can't say what yet, but stay tuned ;)