1/87 Heiser resin Panther D

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
First steps in my attempt at Heisers' resin Panther D w/upgrades. It seems resin kits were all that was left in the stash. I'll add some stuff from the bits box (dark yellow plastic).
100_4175.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice. Seated front row by Arnold

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Will likely do 'A' upgrades. Never understood D, A, G designation progression. Why D first & where are B, C, & E? I think schmalturm is F?
100_4176.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Never understood D, A, G designation progression.
Same, and they did similar weird stuff with the Tiger: the first one was Ausführung H1, later renamed to E, and the second — but a 100% different design — was Ausf. B?

I think schmalturm is F?
Either that or Panther II, but I can never keep those two straight.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I think this is your best one yet Paul.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks great Paul. Bring on the decals. Your sign in the back ground is how I feel some days as I get older. Lol.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Paul,

Love the resin Kitty and it is looking really good as it is now. Decals will set it off even better. Don't get too hung up over the D, A, G designations, or the Panther II and F...

MAN, in Nürnberg, was the factory behind the Kitty story. Other factories built them, but MAN was the head of Ops. D's were the first produced and quickly sent into battle in the Kursk offensive. Overheating, carb fires and bad final drives were the cause of most losses. They had a drum cupola. The rest of the D's were issued/tested at Grafenwohr, where they were rejected for service due to probs. Efforts to fix them there didn't go well, so they were refurbished at MAN. A's were built on the D chassis at first and fixes were introduced. They had the new cupola with periscopes and a mount for the AA MG, ball MG mount on the hull, as well as a Zimmerit coat.

Changes were made to the chassis on later A's. The G's had a redesigned simpler chassis and improved engine cooling. Steel wheeled Kittys were made on the G chassis too. The Kitty II chassis was built and tested in 1943 and the 2 made, sat at the factory. It was supposed to carry the Schmalturm with range finder technology, but it never happened. One of the Kitty II chassis is in the museum at Ft. Knox. They put a normal G turret on it for display. The F was to replace the G and used steel wheels G chassis and the schmalturm with range finder was to be mounted on it. Never made it into production as the war ended.

Sorry to put you to sleep My friend. I love my kitty's as they were built down the road from where I live. If you do need any info on them, just holler. Got any G's in the stash???

Prost
Mr. Ketchup (aka) Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
bad final drives
What I find so odd is that Panthers kept being plagued by final drives that lasted for only about 100–200 km, yet Jagdpanthers got reinforced ones that gave very little trouble. Why didn’t they put those onto Panthers too once they had been developed?

A's were built on the D chassis at first
I’m not exactly an expert on these tanks, but AFAIK the difference between Panther D and A is solely the turret. If the tank has the turret with the later cupola, no pistol ports, etc. it’s an A, even if it has a letterbox hull machine gun mount, for example.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a cracking result Paul. We don't see many resin kits built and even fewer at 1/87. The decals will really bring this to life.
Love the sign behind the tank. Just wish it wasn't true :smiling: