1/87 Scale Late War "Mule"

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is a cannibalization of a couple of vehicles, The cab and hood came from a late 917 Ford truck that had the wrong (early rounded) fenders and swapped them out for the early Ford cab and hood that came on the Maultier with the wrong (late flat) fenders. So now all the early components for the 917 truck are together and all the late components are where they belong, on the halftrack. If I haven't confused you enough. this is where I am so far.P1011209.JPGP1011210.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As you can see I have quite a lot done already. I will scratch build the tarp and finish up the interior. Windshield wipers and a tail light are next. Then on to final weathering. Don't sweat my messy gluing on the tarp support, it will all be covered up when the tarp goes on.
Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Rick

That's looking very nice indeed!! Well done.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Little tissue paper, some diluted Elmer's glue and there you go. Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to use this for moving that chow wagon around when I get it done. Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Rick - very nice, I do rather like these half track trucks. Have a couple in both 72 and 35th to do sometime

Shame whoever made this kit didn't do a better job of the tracks

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Little tissue paper, some diluted Elmer's glue and there you go. Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to use this for moving that chow wagon around when I get it done. Rick H.
Rick
You've got to love the simple things. I got put on to this technique a few years ago and it works brilliantly.

keep up the good work.

Andrew

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. Looks great love the tarp. I guess you leave out the windows/windscreen for obvious reasons seems like when I try to put one in it never can be convincing so I just leave them out

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You are Right Mr. T, The tracks on all these 1/87 scale models have always been the weak point of their existence. Thanks Andy, it is a technique I have been using for some time also, very rewarding when you get good results. Thank you Peter, glad you like it. Hi Jim, still a few refinements to work out. Thanks Lee, Just too fiddly to get it right so I'm with you on that. Thanks Scottie, lots still to finish up, I'm hoping the weathering will hide the deficiencies to make it a passable representation. Thank You All again for the comments and your support in this build. Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is on my long list of vehicles to build. They are a wonderful subject to look at. Nice work on the tarp. Looking good all round

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Steve, I agree, I have several of these in the stash as they were so commonly used by the German troops. Not far to go on this and I'll be posting it in the completed thread. Thanks for dropping by. Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks really good Rick - much better than my maultier!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Interesting question, might have to check it out. Thanks for the tip Paul. Rick H.