1/87 Scale LVT4 by H&K 87

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
An early LVT4 by an old maker. Very crisp details. This particular makers version (they did early, mid & late armored & unarmored versions) was a very late model that mounted a complete 105mm howitzer on a platform to fire over the drivers' cab. I'm attempting to backdate it to an earlier armored cargo version to replace the Wespe late unarmored LVT4 cargo version used in my Rhine Crossing dio. Easy cleanup & good fit so far.
100_2890.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With armoured and unarmored, do you mean the add-on armour plates on the bow and pontoons? The pontoon parts in your photo show the late style plates, backdating it to a vehicle with the earlier small plates would be quite a bit of work with those resin blocks, I think.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Jakko. Have seen at least 4 different pontoon types and cab configurations on LVT4s. Photo captions & text found do not state which is armor & which is mild steel beyond the obvious front add on plate. The instructions provided call out the discrete plated pontoons as unarmoured so that's what I'm going on. I've searched high & low for definitive information on this to no avail. Factory change break ins were not documented well across several plants & theater requests seemed to drive them so FIFO would not be observed, allowing a mix of old & new features to meet requirements. Anyhow, I'm going with the smooth pontoons & armored front plate that it came with along with the changes discussed to the cab. Don't know which MG shields I've got to scratch as they too were of different styles if used at all. Thanks again for posting.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s actually pretty simple: the LVT (4) was entirely made of mild steel. Of the troop carriers, only the LVT (A) (2) was built of armour steel — and even then, the pontoons were mild steel.

You can recognise an entirely unarmoured pontoon because it has flat sides with vertical weld seams and one (LVT (4)) or two (LVT (2) and (A) (2)) steps in it.

The original uparmour plates are rectangular ones at front and rear, over the above. That is, if you can see weld lines and steps, but raised plates front and rear, the vehicle has the basic uparmour kit. This includes a bow plate that does not curve up over the nose. Thos was the only type used in Europe, off the top of my head, and would also be fitted to the LVT (A) (2) despite it being armoured — probably because the pontoons weren’t.

The later uparmour kit has plates that cover the whole sides, making them smooth without vertical welds and steps. The bow armour then goes up over the nose. I think this got used mainly in the Pacific.

Also, the bow machine gun was not present on early vehicles, like most seen in Europe. Very early LVT (4)’s had both hatches equally far forward, later ones had the right-hand hatch moved back a little, but this already happened before the machine gun was added.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Someones happy , nice to see you back on the armour Paul. Hows the train ?

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Dzohn. Anxious to get to my TD Co. Gathering dust. Norfolk Southern loco sitting in the bench vice needing some wiring for a month.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Know the feeling.........sometimes you just can't get no motivation ;)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,

Looking good mate, I have always fancied one of these and one day I will get round to getting one.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Coming along....never done one of these. Rick H.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, I've tried two different makers, neither of them cheap ($25+post), both resin and both lacking interior details & rear vanes. Details, fit & finish were good on both, H&K slightly better, but tracks were a PITA for each. I'm sure the larger scales will be better.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
But will I ....let it bleed....while I'm waitng.

• Haha

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
getting ready for your..... nineteenth nervous breakdown.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
....How Can I Stop...I need ......Mother's Little Helper........

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just don’t forget the unit good luck symbol…..a little red rooster painted on the right hand side plate….

• Haha