1/87 Scale SanitatsWagen (1943 Version)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
While waiting for tail lights to arrive I have been working on this mid to late war version of a Ford ambulance. As delivered the model had incorrect front fenders (early rounded type) so I scrounged up some late ones from the spares box, masked off the glass and soda blasted the paint off the cab and van body. Made a start on getting all the grab bars and door latches/handles installed, as well as a new exhaust pipe. progress so far...P1011116.JPGP1011117.JPGP1011118.JPGP1011119.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bet it was fun doing those handles Rick! :smiling5: Will you be painting on the red crosses or using decals?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Steve, I have ordered some new decals for this project as the ones I have are too small for the Ariel recognition one that goes on the van roof. Thanks for looking in. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Scottie, not quite there with the wet stuff. I'm currently working on a cab roof rack for the spare tire and some jerry cans. I am also considering making up a set of rear entry steps like I did on my chow wagon. Thanks for dropping by. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here is a small update on my progress since my last post. Roof rack, windshield wipers, headlights and rear steps. The steps will be nonfunctional as the rear door does not open, so will be in the stowed position for transport. Comments and criticisms are always welcome. Rick H.P1011121.JPGP1011122.JPGP1011123.JPGP1011124.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. Very nice glad to see you building bring on the color

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Rick - what do you use for small scale soda blasting? Sounds interesting

Details looking good

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee, hoping to get the base coat of yellow on tomorrow, stay tuned. Hi Simon, I bought a Snap-On tools Soda blaster when I was working in Aviation for removing scale, rust and light corrosion on the surfaces of different metal alloys. I found out that by turning the air pressure way down it makes a nifty paint remover and surface prep on styrene plastic. It is a siphon feed nozzle with a cup underneath to hold the soda that allows you to blast baking soda on delicate surfaces. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Scottie, I hope the decals come soon. The Mojo is high and I don't want to lose it over slow mail service:thinking:!
Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well the Red Cross decals still have not arrived. However, I found some Areal Rec. Flags in the stash and thought I would try one on the hood. I cut and laid down wet tissue (same size as flag) soaked with Elmer's glue, hit it with a hair dryer then gloss coated over the top of that. I was hoping to give it a little texture. Won't know on this until I final weather and dull coat it. Fingers crossed. Rick H.P1011143.JPGP1011144.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. That looks great outstanding work on the flag. I see these on some of there vehicles what was the purpose of it?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Areal Recognition Lee, so their own aircraft wouldn't shoot at them. These were normally tied down to the hood or fenders so they wouldn't blow off during movement. Thanks for dropping by Lee, It's been awhile. Rick H.:thumb2:

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Steve, I bought the decals off evilbay and I think they are coming from Germany. Supposed to be here no later than the 3rd of April but it has already been eight days. I thing they must be walking them over the North Pole! LOL:sad: I still have a few things to keep me busy though. Rick H.