1/9th Scale B-17G

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW Steven which are you building at the moment ? the B17 or the Saturn you are really a fantastic modeller very well done so far an how many R/C channels will you be havin on this ? what a monster again im lookin forword to this build
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Steven when this is built will you be flyin it an do you have to have a special licence as its big like here in the uk or will you get someone elese to fly it for you ?
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is seriously impressive …

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steve,
WOW, a wingspan of 3.5m! I suppose it dismantles into transportable pieces? - just the logistics are staggering - I'm assuming you've built large scale flyers before?
Dave
The wing is a 3 piece affair and the fuselage is bolted to the wing. This actually fits in my Z4. The center wing half and fuse in the passenger's seat and the outer two wing panels go in the trunk.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Steven it looks like you have it all worked out to transpoart it like i have on my tiger an sorry Steven you dint answer my question
chris

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
WOW Steven which are you building at the moment ? the B17 or the Saturn you are really a fantastic modeller very well done so far an how many R/C channels will you be havin on this ? what a monster again im lookin forword to this build
chris
Presently I'm working on the Saturn V, the B-17G is sitting om my glass top workbench.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Steven it looks like you have it all worked out to transpoart it like i have on my tiger an how many channels will you have on the B17 as on my tiger i can have may be 22 with the kobs on my R/C
chris

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
HI again Steven when this is built will you be flyin it an do you have to have a special licence as its big like here in the uk or will you get someone elese to fly it for you ?
chris
No license required here. Yet to purchase the reload kit for my Saturn V motor I do need to be certified by an NAR sponsored club member.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Steven can you fly it ? as i used to fly R/C an i came home alot of the time with kindling as it was ok goin up but the comin down was not to good

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
WELL Steven it looks like you have it all worked out to transpoart it like i have on my tiger an how many channels will you have on the B17 as on my tiger i can have may be 22 with the kobs on my R/C
chris
One channel for the rudder, one for elevator and steerable tailwheel, one for the flaps, one for the ailerons, one for all four throttles, one for pneumatic landing gear and one for the bomb bay doors. This is not the same number of servos though. I have a total of 13 throughout.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
One channel for the rudder, one for elevator and steerable tailwheel, one for the flaps, one for the ailerons, one for all four throttles, one for pneumatic landing gear and one for the bomb bay doors. This is not the same number of servos though. I have a total of 13 throughout.
COR we are alike as i'll have about the same no. of servo's in my tiger as im tryin to make a lot work an i have a 14 channell R/C

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steven, really impressive. :thumb2: Lately I've seen some pretty convincing details on flying models. Enthusiast now don't just go for flying only but authentic detail as well.

Cheers,
Richard
It is my impression that the older modelers are still building models of this caliber while the younger ones opt out for the 'get it in the air NOW' route. I think the younger ones prefer a screen in front of them than build models. I have been building a 1/48th scale flying Saturn V at a local Starbucks up until the virus issue broke out earlier in the year. I have given away starter sets to kids with permission from their parents. I've made sure they got engines with the set. The rockets are extremely easy to build with little if any finishing to incorporate into the model. It gets them interested with little fuss. Then they can move up at their leisure and their parents wallet.