101st Airborne WWII (Young miniatures 1/10 )

R

RichardMo

Hello Gents. I have been posting some of my completed works on here and never an under construction piece. So I decided to try my hand at that today . This piece is the Young miniatures 101st Airborne 1/10 bust. fine casting as usual . All painted in acrylics and I have been slow with this one. hope you all enjoy . side note since the face picture was taken I could not get over the fact I didn't like it . so I washed it and in the process of repainting it. pictures to come.

Rick.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Great to see how you go about it Rick. Looks like a very nice bust. Will be watching with much interest.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rick
Always interesting to see how you figure painters work your magic. Is the Airborne badge painted or a decal?
Jim

R

RichardMo

Hi, Peter, I may not do it the standard way I think I wing it more than a structure paint, if that makes sense.

Hello, Jim, I don't think its magic I think its the ability to just trust in the paint keep things fluid, and trusting the process. Luck is more a factor for me lol no two faces are the same I can paint a real nice one then the very next one gets repainted 3 times lol. the 101st patch is painted it is raised off the arm of the bust. the eye and the tongue was the hardest part of it. will attach a photo.

Hi Jason, it is a real clean kit very little clean up as are almost all Young's kits are. it is a fun project but the bullets be prepared to go crazy they are very hard to get to bend the way the box art shows .

Jim here is the patch before paint you can see how it's molded to the arm.

Thank you guys for all the kind words.
RICK.

First Name
Jason
Hi Rick...pardon the silly questions..but in terms of the bullet belt is it just hot water to make it more flexible and did you paint any of it first...my “Road to Moscow” thread also by Life miniatures also has a bullet belt and I’m dreading it?
Jason

R

RichardMo

Jason not silly at all. yes alot of very very hot water and slow steady progress..I actually had the belt all the way wrapped twice before it broke. I cut some bullets off the end that went into the weapon leaving a small piece of belt and placed it in.that helped a bunch. I was then able to remove them to paint. hope this helps
Rick

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Rick.
Even raised it still needs a very steady hand.
Jim

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
It looks a nicely sculpted bust, which you are making a great job of. Enjoying following your work on this one.

Peter

R

RichardMo

thank you Scottie I used to be an armor guy but the eyes are not what they used to be.
Jason let me know how it turns out.
Peter G thank you for the kind words it helps when you start with a good bust

R

RichardMo

Hello all, I have not got much done the last day or so but I did manage to get one side of the tunic done. I used two lighter shades then back over it with the original base coat to blend it in. here are a few pictures showing those steps. was not happy with the face so I decided to start over on it. the extra bullets will be painted maybe this weekend. the last picture shows the web net on the helmet better than previous pictures.
Rick.

D

Deleted member 6559

Very nice painting Rick. Lovely work on the uniform.

R

RichardMo

thank you Peter going slow on this one trying to get a better uniformity on the paint transitions
Rick

R

RichardMo

hello all , I its been a busy weekend just got a few things painted mostly the straps. ones done.ones basecaoted. will have more done in the next few days the bust fell and ripped the gun from the hand.going to fix and repaint this week
Rick.329494

R

RichardMo

SWR thanks it's slow but its coming along as you say.
got a little more done.was finishing up the face when once again I had a slip up. so before I re re re wash it I decided to try my hand at an invasion blackout face. got the sgt.stripes done and some work on the flag. feedback on the face will help me decide if I leave it or wash and repaint. sorry for the bad pics lost my back up light source.
RICK.

R

RichardMo

Hello everyone , I think I will be calling this one done. I have some minor touch ups buts nothing to repost about. still not 100 % about the face but I wanted to try the invasion blackout just once (and that's all it will be too once ). other than that I feel real good with the finish product. don't know what my next project will be but might try some 1/35 scene maybe. last thing I will do is finish the base when the weather gets warmer it's 7 degrees here in Missouri
again thanks for all your kind words on this one.
Rick.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rick .
Beautifully done. A superb piece of work .
John .