18 cert horror show now finished

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Decided to build this grumman gosling airfix arghhhhhh dry fitted the few parts this little kit contains I think the theme tune from the Halloween film should have being playing in the back ground as I did this here are some of the results try remembering the theme tune as you take a look View attachment 62523 View attachment 62524 View attachment 62525 View attachment 62526 Post more pictures laters after the operation cut n shut kinda springs to mind on this lol

View attachment 63979

View attachment 63980

View attachment 63981

View attachment 63982

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

andyrobs

Hi John, kinda typical of a lot of the airfix kits unfortunately!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thats one really bad fit i hope you like filling and sanding cause you are going to be doing loads

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
HI John, I built this kit decades ago and it was a bad fit then, but it looks as though the mould has possibly had its day now. I still have it in a shoe box in my garage with my other first models. The pilot has also deteriorated somewhat. Maybe he can be the swamp monster chasing the Gosling? It's a classic Airfix kit, yes there are gaps and it takes three times as long as a modern kit to build, but they are great for honing filling and scratch building skills. You will do this one justice I'm sure. As for the pilot, once that tiny windshield is in and the panels are painted you can't see anything inside anyway.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is really nasty.

Peter

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
After a lot of filling and sanding this almost ready for a coat of primer came very close to throwing it in the bin/trash but thought the process of trying to make a pile of junk into something decent as best I can with my limited abilities would help me in the future . Although I will think long and hard before buying airfix again . The guy who works on quality control needs to take I a long hard look at himself in the mirror don"t know how he sleeps at night lol. Be interesting to know if they would post these pics in their monthly magazine which I buy every month I don"t remember seeing any like these . Airfix nice looking models that don"t fit 0/10. View attachment 62570

View attachment 64021

View attachment 64022

image.jpg

image.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks like your getting on top of this one John keep up the good work. I agree with Joe and think you will turn this into something alot better

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking like you're getting on top of this one.

I feel for you, I'm giving the airfix Ju 88 a go, and it's equally badly fitting, still, like you say, it's all good experience for the future.

Tony.

First Name
Dave
I remember making this one in my youth.It can be quite satisfying turning an old badly fitting kit into something half decent.You should look at some of Tony 'Yak face' builds . He's the master of 'making a silk purse out of a sows ear'.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thanks lads you boosted my morale to keep going with this and I think I might be over the worst of it now so thanks for your support onwards n upwards as they used to tell me at school

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The quality of this kit is indeed shocking (been there) However, don't be put off from Airfix as they do produce some nice kits as well. And anyway, anyone can build a good kit, something like this takes a bit more skill / beer, which ever suits. Well done you for taking it on and not just chucking it in the bin.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Well you certainly pulled the proverbial "Silk Purse" out of that one John............. Damn good result.

Peter

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That looks like something now, top building John.

Must admit i quite like these yellow wing planes, it's prettier than camo.

5 from me too.

Tony.

BTW whatever happened to the "alien" lol

First Name
Aaron
Wow...it doesnt show that there was a struggle with this, it looks fantasticlly crisp!! Nice work.